A Visit to Wonderland

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Whoosh! The brisk wind rustles through the dark oak of the woods.  

We're almost there just a left at the fallen branch, I think to myself.  

"This is taking quite some time; don't you think Elizabeth? Are you sure - like 100% sure you know the way?" James asks. 

"Yes, now hush! Someone might hear us!"  

In a few moments later, we make it to the depressed fallen branch and take a gentle left.  

“Look! There it is!” I whisper.  

We are facing a silver boulder. We slowly approach the stone, getting nearer and nearer to the face of it.  

"Now hand me the flashlight, quick James!" 

"Here, catch!" I catch the flashlight left-handed - not to brag.  

"Did you hear that?" I gently whisper, trying to keep as quiet as possible – James obviously doesn’t get the hint. 

"No, what is it?" 

"Footsteps. Dammit. Maybe if you weren't so loud, we wouldn't be getting followed right now!" I say with an eye roll. Cold panic fills my veins. We need to go and fast.  

I strain to hoist the stone. Beneath it is a hole; a hole in which anyone who goes through would slide down for 30 feet - yikes. James descends the 30 feet and I rapidly follow. The stone drops back into its place - just in time because I hear the footsteps getting nearer. We are still in great danger.  

It is an uncomfortable 30 foot intense acceleration down the hole. The dirt rubs with a heavy load of friction against my dry back, through my green cotton shirt. Suddenly, I feel immense pain – everywhere. I no longer feel the urgent need to close my eyes in the fear of falling. Why is this? I am sure the drop hadn't completed itself yet. It is typically a seconds long drop. Yet, looking down at my crusty toes and the orange sandals that fit them, I came to the realization I have not yet reached the ground. In fact, I am quite far from it. I notice this tugging of my shirt continue. I try to squirm but I my shirt has been caught on something. I try to fight it but it only fails me.  

Ugh. Why? Out of all times I’ve been here – the time we are being followed is the time my shirt gets caught.  

“You coming?” James calls from beneath.  

“Uh, yeah. My shirt seems to be -” 

My thought is abruptly, and rudely cut off. Between the distance of my feet and the ground I notice I am getting farther and farther. It is like I am being pulled up. I tilt my head up to see what is going on. 

“Oh no, James they got me and I am being pulled back up! Help!” 

“Oh no oh no oh no. Umm ok, I – I’m coming!!!!” 

The shadowy men – the ones I warned him about- have me and slowly they are pulling me up.  

“Put me down this instant!! I demand it!!” I holler. 

I snatch out my pocketknife from my left pocket and swiftly slice the skin of the hand pulling me up.  

It hollers an unbearable scream and releases me! Down I go! 

I hear an echo, “I am trying to climb back up this narrow hole!” It’s James. 

Oh no! He’s climbing up, and I am coming down!  

“JAMES, get down!! DROP!!” 

My warning is a tad bit too late. Ok, a lot too late. 

Before we both know it, I am smack down on top of him on the hard floor. Ouch. I quickly revive myself and stand up. Thankfully I didn’t break a bone or anything. Although, I definitely have a few bruises and scratches.  

“Well you going to help me up?” James questions bitterly. 

“Oh yeah right.” I grab his hands and pull him up to his feet. 

At the bottom of the drop, we land on a dirt floor. The whole room we landed in is dirt. It has blank dirt walls and a door on the right side of the room. I had been here a few times before, so I knew the way. Once the door was opened – you would never want to go back.  

“Let’s go!” I shout back to James – after that fall though he may have easily become deaf. What? It was a hard fall.  

I open the door and James follows. It is a city of colors and gold and magic. How could an underground location contain skyscrapers?? It is a town of magic. They are skyscrapers of colorful, bright, patterned exteriors, and streets made of gold. There are people, too, but they are different. They are magical people. 

“Elizabeth!! Oh my word, you’re back! I missed you so greatly dear!” It is Alice. She is beautiful, with luscious golden locks of hair and fair skin. My favorite thing about her is her curiosity though, it really connects the two of us! Last time I was here, we explored the mysterious rivers which led to another dreamy location – named “The City of Candy”. It is a city filled with candy cane trees, luxurious carmel waterfalls (which Alice and I secretly swam in while we were there), and chocolate sprinkle raindrops, and so much more! You could say it was a delicious visit!  

“Alice! Alice! Alice!” I run up and give her the biggest hug, “I missed you so much!” 

“Umm, hello? I am here too, don’t I get a kiss – I mean hug!” James says.  

“You wish, loser!” I replied, “Alice, this is my annoying brother James!” I exclaim. 

“Why, nice to meet you! Aren't you just the cutest!” 

James starts blushing, like a lot. 

“Quit it James she’s out of your league!” 

“Listen, we are here to tell you that your city is in great danger. The Shadows are back. The other day James and I were playing in the backyard of our home near the forest when we saw them. I think they are coming back for a second attack. And we need to find the queen so she can prepare for the attack.” I say in panic, even the thought of the Shadows coming back puts shivers down my spine. The Shadows are an evil group. They are vicious, and they never rest until they get what they want, which is to take over Wonderland.  

“Oh my, sweet sugars, Wonderland is in danger!” Alice says in shock. “We must get to the queen quickly!” 

She leads the way. It is a maze getting to the palace – of gold, obviously. It is about a 30-minute walk. We all bow in the presence of the Queen.  

“Elizabeth and Alice, what a pleasure to see you both” she says. 

“Wait - even the queen knows my sister, now this is messed up!” my brother mumbles under his breath. 

“And who would this cutie be?” she is referring to my not so cute, nor sweet brother.  

Alice replies, “Why this is Elizabeth’s brother! He is so kind and look his eyes sparkle, too!” 

I roll my eyes. 

“What brings you three here today?” The queen remarks. I tell her everything, and she is in shock. If there's one person who hates the Shadows the most – it is the Queen. 

“We must prepare, guards set out immediately. Hurry!!” She screams. 

We all head out of the palace, and that’s when I see it, the first shadow. 

“Uh oh, I think it’s a little too late.” The battle has just begun. 

 

Smash! Boom! Clang! The battle starts in a fury.  

Golden pistols and bullets rain down on the shadows while the magic swords hit the attackers hard. In a flash before my eyes, a swift presence of a golden arrow skims past my neck. Alice rushes over. 

“Are you okay? That arrow was too close for comfort!” 

We duck down and run behind a thick red pole.  

“We should just stay here until it's all over.” Alice says. 

“No way, we must help the people!” Jack replies. 

I holler, “Jack no, I can't lose you!” But it is too late, he is already up and headed towards the madness. I am terrified, but he is right. I stand up, scared to death, and follow. 

“Hey, we do this together.” I look at him and we both nod. We fly through the town and dodge many bullets. Our head movement looks something like this: Up, down, left, right – all to avoid the bullets and arrows. Suddenly, I hear a scream from behind me, I turn around. It is Alice and she has been shot. 

“Noooo, Alice!!” she is my best friend and I have to help her. I rush over to her side. “Alice, wake up, please wake up,” I plead over and over again. She is not responding though. I give her one last hug. I have to help my brother now, I can’t lose two people in one setting. I look ahead in the distance; James is fighting one of the shadows. He punches, he swings, and one shadow down!  

“Go, James, get em’!” 

He reaches for the golden pistol and shoots three at once. I reach over and lucky enough grab a boomerang and randomly throw it in the air. I don’t do sports, but to my luck, ten shadow men knock to the ground and it flies back to me.  

The guards and people keep fighting and only a few of our men get knocked to the ground. I notice a group of the shadows trying to knock down one of the buildings.  

“Everyone get out of the way, building coming down!!!” I scream at the top of my lungs. A group of our men rush to the other side of the building they were trying to knock down. 

What are they doing? I think. 

They are strong. The building knocks over, but in the shadow’s direction. All 11 of them are crushed to the ground. 

“We got them!!” I holler. 

I think that is all of them, until I see one last Shadow climbing up the palace stairs, in an attempt to reach the throne. 

“Not on my watch,” I run up behind him and tap his shoulder. 

“Hey Mister, I think you forgot this.” I punch him smack dab in his dark face and he slides to the floor. “Boom, take that!” 

That is it. The war is over!! James and I run to each other and I jump into his arms. He really is the best and most annoying brother ever. We both rush up the stairs to make sure the queen is alright. She is happy as can be. 

“Jack and Elizabeth, how can I ever repay you?” she asks. 

“Well, there is one thing.” She knows exactly what I am talking about.  

She lifts her wand and flicks it around; magic is circling in the air and a gust of wind flows through the doors.  

I look over at the stairs, Alice starts to flicker her eyes. I notice the other wounded and dead people start to stand back up on their feet, as well. I am overcome with joy. I run into Alice’s arms.  

“I thought I lost you forever!” I say. 

“Being dead is no fun!” she replies with laughter and squeezes me tighter.  

 

I never want to let go of this moment, but I have to because the squeeze was a little too tight for me to bear. My eyes start opening.  

It is my brother and his tight grip around my arms, “Come on!! Wake up already, we are supposed play outside today, remember Elizabeth?” he says. 

“But I want to hang out with Alice!” 

“Whose Alice?” he says with a wide grin. We both wink at each other.  

“And another adventure awaits!” we both laugh. 

“Hey, you still have sparkles in your hair!” he says. 

“I told you just to pretend there was glitter, not to actually use it!!” I reply. 

But then again, James never listens.  

“I wonder what today’s adventure will be?” he smiles. 

 

We both run outside with wide smiles across our faces, with our imagination, anything can be possible.  

 

April 17, 2020 19:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.