27 comments

Fiction

It was quite a party. The whole neighborhood had gathered. I saw people I had never met before. Well, because I was the new kid on the block. And let's face it not the most popular one.


But I should start at the beginning.


I graduated in the mid-sixties with an associate's degree in business. You know, one of those nothing degrees, marginally more useful than philosophy. Luckily, I had what my grandmother called chutzpah, so I landed on my feet. For twenty years I, along with a small army of lawyers and a very good malpractice policy, have kept a bunch of plastic surgeons out of trouble. Not that they'd come and say thank you, but I have successfully re-negotiated my salary each year. And last year I bought a house.


Right, that one. The one with all the pretty wildflowers and natural vegetation. For some reason my neighbors were not enchanted with my landscaping sense. Ach, never mind, it should grow on them.


My little house had two bedrooms. I knocked down the wall between the two - Tawanda! Man, that was liberating. Then spent thousands of dollars having a professional make it into one bedroom, a walk-in closet and a dream bath. Gary was cute. I used to clock out on time when he was working at the house. That man knew how to fill out a t-shirt. But he was married. Sigh. A girl can dream, though, can't she?


So, here we were. Twenty or so of my closest neighbors. It was a clear night and Halley was supposed to pass overhead. There was beer and wine and hard stuff. Margy from across the street had made cheese puffs - more puff than chees, if you asked me. Josy down the street brought ...I had no idea what it was. It was white and a bit slimy and I seemed to have been the only one to try it. I guess the others knew. Josy gave me a big smile when I slopped some on my plate. Oh, well. I didn't die of it. Sylivia from a block over made this thing called "The Next Best Thing To Robert Redford." She wasn't kidding. Chocolate and whipped cream on a salty pretzel crust. Groan. I might just put in a standing order for that stuff.


The guys were all gathered on one side and the women on the other end of the table. Truth be told, I would have rather listened in on the guys talking about golf and football and hockey, even though I know nothing about sport. Because the women were talking about babies, diapers, teething and preschool. It made me kind-a sick.


So, with a full cup of scotch and half a plate of Robert Redford, I wandered off.


Here at the edge of our small town the light pollution was not bad. I could see more stars and lights than I had ever seen before. It was nice out there. I briefly toyed with the idea of getting a dog. It would be good for me to come out and take a walk. But what would I do with the thing when I got cold? So, I decided to think on that a little longer.


I don't know, maybe it was all the Robert Redford. Maybe it was the red-sized Solo cup of scotch, but I was quite content just watching the velvet sky, contemplating the magic of the twinkling lights and the universe in general.


Until ...


Wow! A spark had separated from the comet. Didn't anyone see that? Was I the only one? There! I couldn't point, having my hands full of Robert Redford and scotch.


Oh, God! What a heavenly combination.

Sorry, I digress.


I silently watched the spark weave its own course. It should have disintegrated in the heat. Should have been absorbed in Halley's tail. But it wasn't. It, like a leaf in autumn, gently fluttered away from the comet. I couldn't keep my eyes off it. For once I forgot about the sweets on the slowly softening Chinette plate. No, I did not forget about my half-full cup of scotch.


I sipped. I watched. I sipped, I squinted. I sipped. I closed one eye. It was coming closer and closer. At one point I glanced to my right. The table was gone, my neighbors had packed up for the night. I was the only one, along with some crickets, left on the meadow.


A flash. Quickly extinguished. I blinked. I blinked again. Was it gone. Did I lose it? Where did it go?


I was about to get up and go home, when I heard something, a light humming, like a well-behaved vacuum cleaner. I turned, looked up, left, right.


There.


A ball. As it came closer, I could see that it was bigger than a beachball, but smaller than my Fiat 500. It reflected some of the streetlights, but duller. Part of me knew that I was probably a bit drunk on sugar and alcohol, part of me did not want to miss a second. I sat back down on the now damp grass.


The ball split open.


A light approached. It was not a form. Not a green Martian with eight legs and insect eyes. No, it was a light. It floated. Toward me. As if it had known all along that I had been watching.


I stared. I forgot to breathe.


It ... I'm not kidding you. I know you're not going to believe me. I know you're going to think I should just move to New Mexico and join all those other people. But it's true.


It touched me.


I cried. For the first time in my life I let my doubts go, recognized my strengths and needs. I felt that whatever was touching me would hold me and make me stronger. For once in my life, I felt whole. I grabbed it with both hands and took it home.

But I had to let it go eventually. It was not mine to keep.


But each night I have dreamed of it. I've conjured it before I fall asleep, hoping to lose myself in its warmth and be once again, cradled gently while I sleep.

I've dreamed of its sweet kiss. A silken breath across my cheek. Light as a feather's touch, capturing the summer breeze. How it aroused my half-forgotten dreams and eased my intimate needs. I've whimpered and hoped for more.

I've dreamed of our play. How it gave me the moon and stars, showed me how to soar and fly and always caught me before I landed. How we balanced on moonbeams, rushed to catch a shooting star and hitched rides on lightning bolts.

I've dreamed of its whispers, its words of praise and delight, its sweet promises of ever after.


And I dream that tonight it will not fade away at dawn.



April 09, 2024 04:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Alexis Araneta
14:15 Apr 16, 2024

Such a fresh one, Trudy ! I love the bite. Hahahahaha ! The juxtaposition between wanting an encounter with something mysterious and closing off on neighbours was great. LOL ! Robert Redford, aye? Hahaha !

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:12 Apr 16, 2024

Well, yeah. An accepting alien/spirit might be preferable to opinionated neighbors. And the Robert Redford dish is true. A gal at work would end us into a sugar coma periodically. :-) Thanks, Stella

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Burgess
09:22 Apr 15, 2024

Really enjoyed the inner monologue in this one - felt very genuine and authentic, and grounded the fantastic elements. Good fun!

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:31 Apr 15, 2024

Thank you, Jeremy. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
21:30 Apr 13, 2024

I love the indifference in regard to the actual neighbors in comparison to the intense connection with an otherworldly encounter. The connections we crave are hardly found among the picket fences, cheese puffs and white slimy goo; so, don't forget to look up now and then!! I always enjoy your stories :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:55 Apr 13, 2024

Thanks, Myranda. Right back at ya. I'll look up more, but maybe inside as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
18:22 Apr 11, 2024

" I know you're going to think I should just move to New Mexico" made me laugh so much!! Your narration sounds so easy (and funny!), I love when the MC "talks" to the reader

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:31 Apr 11, 2024

:-) Thank you, Martha. You just made my day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Hewitt
15:59 Apr 11, 2024

Great story, Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:33 Apr 11, 2024

Thank you, Annie. Thrilled you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:02 Apr 11, 2024

Very enjoyable and as always, well written. Great job.

Reply

Trudy Jas
10:31 Apr 11, 2024

Thank you, Melissa. Can't go wrong with the help of Robert Redford. ;-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
04:27 Apr 11, 2024

Another lovely story, Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
10:32 Apr 11, 2024

Thank you, Ty. She saw the light. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harry Stuart
21:34 Apr 09, 2024

Wish I could come up with funny quips like Mary. Telling that the MC liked scotch more than Robert Redford 😊 Truly a beautiful story - you feel it in all of its wonder. I'm always ready to read your next one!

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:38 Apr 09, 2024

Thanks Harry. Such kind words. Reality is that scotch is more accessible than Mr. Redford. :-)

Reply

Harry Stuart
21:43 Apr 09, 2024

That made me laugh!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Annie Hewitt
15:58 Apr 11, 2024

True dat! Hahahahaha

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:34 Apr 11, 2024

:-) cheers

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:30 Apr 09, 2024

What is a well behaved vacuum cleaner? This is a ball of light. Thanks for liking my 'Too-cute Eclipse '.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:30 Apr 09, 2024

Exactly LOL Thanks, Mary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
12:11 Apr 09, 2024

I loved the tone of this story, the humor just subtle enough to be really fun to read. And wow she had an encounter that stayed with her forever!

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:43 Apr 09, 2024

:-) Thanks Hannah. Are you talking about Robert Redford or the light? ;-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
10:43 Apr 09, 2024

Ooo an alien encounter. I thought for a moment we were going to go all Armageddon. Loved the Robert Redford… I’ll have what’s she’s having! The tone here was great. Conversational, self aware and unapologetic. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Trudy Jas
10:46 Apr 09, 2024

Thank you Michelle. Your feedback is always appreciated. I'm glad you like it. nd yes, that dish (pun intended) is awesome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
14:20 Apr 16, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:09 Apr 16, 2024

Yeah, she's a bit mouthy, right? (It came from the heart) :-) Thank you, Dustin. p.s. I liked the picture you had up a little while ago.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.