1 comment

Suspense Horror Speculative

This story contains sensitive content

The holiday agency was humming with activity outside, with people trying to spot the deal they felt they deserved. Tina strode up to the agency door confidently, grinning at the small group of people because she didn't need to look through the window while daydreaming about what could be. Tina walked into a large office dedicated to booking holidays for people such as Tina "Welcome, miss...

I have a booking that wasn't on the website."

"erm ok, where would you like to travel, miss Howdle?

Bolivian rainforest, please. I would like to see the wildlife in its own habitat."  

How many is that for, mam?

"one, I would like to go alone" "This is a disaster waiting to happen," the agent thought. "I wonder how much of a profit can be made here," as he pinched the corners of his mouth. 

She knew that it is a little risky, but it's all fun and games, she told herself. She was confident that Nothing terrible is going to happen. It's just a little adventure. She paid the booking fee for her ticket and thanked the agent before she left. As soon as she stepped out of the office, she felt a rush of excitement course through her veins. She knew this was now happening, and there was no turning back. But she could cancel, which would world trigger the cancellation fees. These are the early arrangement fees and agent fees. She was not happy paying agent fees, she thought, but I wouldn't know where to start, she admitted to herself.


When Tina reached her car, she remembered she must get herself some good hiking boots. She made her way to a local hiking shop. On the way to the hiking shop, she received a text message from her agent informing her shes in luck.


 Your tour guide is available in 6 months, giving you plenty of time to train and prepare for your adventureYou're provided with accommodations, and meals will be ready before your arrival. Your flights will be secured in four months.


A few people in the hiking shop are roaming around, wondering what they need? Tina had made a short list in the car because this was her home. She must be looking confident in every situation. The first item was the lightest of running shoes. The second n her list was clothing suitable for the jungle, a backpack, and very durable boots. On the way out of the hiking shop, she thought she noticed the holiday agent walking past the shop window, and she did, but once she got outside, he was nowhere to be seen. "It's nothing," she said. 


Four months later, she looked very athletic and prepared for anything. Tina thought her new gadgets were the best things ever. The second of three texts 


, your tickets have been booked for you .you will fly to the Bolivia international airport in La Paz; more info in approximately three weeks.


Tina had brought herself a filtration kit and a water bladder that fit inside her backpack between her backpack and the contents with a long silicone straw. The bladder's staw leads from the bottom of the reservoir, so she doesn't have to suck hard. Hopefully, she won't need to use the publication kit, but it's cool as hell. Tina decided to take a shower at the same time as her tour guide in Bolivia answered her phone.  

"Hola Bolivian Amozon tour guide " 

"Hello, this is Stephen Tins agent." 

"hi, Stephen; we have a Tina booked in, yes." 

"i hope so,"  he said,

"that is correct she will going to jungle by road from La Paz, yes."

"erm yeah i guess so. who else will be in the vehicle"

"3 woman, 4 men. Is that ok Stephen"?

"That sounds good enough for me to be honest she has no choice shes asking for it"

"oh is that how this tour should be... giggles could be heard in the background" 

"what's your name miss"

My name is Claudia," she said

"Thanks Claudia Bye"

"Thanks ""Erm?"

He didn't reply 

"She doesn't know what's going on" he had never before felt so sinister and he relished it.

He was impressed with himself for tricking Tiina into paying for two tours. He now needed to book separate flight tickets for them both. A week later he was near Tina's favourite wine bar, she was with some friends "enjoying some free time" he thought. He was in his car opposite the wine bar watching her smiling and looking stunningly unbeknownst to his presence. 

A week later he decided to finalize the flight and the transfer airport.


Good afternoon; your flight to Bolivia has now been secured with a transfer at Miami. Your ticket will be sent via Royal Mail delivery will take 1 day or less. This will be your final text from your agent hope you enjoy your Bolivian Amazon tour. British Airways will be in touch soon. 


Yes! Yes! Yes! Tina shouted, finally all set for the Bolivian Amazon tour. How exciting! She thought. She thanked her lucky stars that everything is set to go.

The agent made sure he booked his flight on the same flight to Miami and then onto La Paz.


. The plan was fully secured. Little did she know, the surprise he had planned for her would unfold in a matter of days.


On the day of the trip, he nervously waited at the airport as anxiousness and anticipation boiled inside him. Finally, after what felt like an eternity for him, they both arrived at the airport after her bad dream in the taxi.


An unexpected symphony of chaos unfolded in the heart of the bustling city. A collision shook the core of a busy intersection, igniting a ripple of shockwaves through the streets. Like a crescendo of urgency, blaring sirens cut through the air, guiding emergency vehicles to the unfolding drama. Their flashing lights painted an eerie glow upon the twisted wreckage, casting an ethereal aura upon the scene gathered around a crowd of concerned bystanders. Faces were marked by worry and curiosity, weaving together a mosaic of emotions. Amidst it all, the tireless authorities worked with unwavering determination, labouring to untangle the debris and ensure the safety of those entrapped within.  


The car Tina was twisted within was driven by her parents into a humble Humvee pickup. The Humvee pickup was carrying a hotrod straight six engine, so when the two vehicles collided at double the speed of each vehicles, the collision crushed her parents into a painless death. Tina, however, was left badly injured and entangled in the twisted metal. 


The incident served as a poignant reminder of the fragility of life. A stark awakening to the necessity of caution on the road, prompting introspection on our journey through this complex tapestry we call life.


The agent watched a very shaken and sleepy Tina emerge from an airport taxi at 4:30 am. She paid the taxi donned her backpack, and pulled along a petite green suitcase behind her. She strode towards the airport entree with intent. Go! he thought as she entered the doors. All he bought with him was a water bladder and a cash holder that hung around his neck. he jumped out of his classic Stallion; he planned to buy his clothes at La Paz airport or Rurrenabaque. He walked as she walked into the bar. "Excellent timing", he thought. He checked in while looking around the waiting area. A few men and women glanced back with a nod. The people seemed very sleepy, with children lying around watching for boarding to open. The agent sits where he can see Tina drinking what looks like double bourbon with a lemon slice. Tina looks to be having a hard time in anticipation of the flight.


The airport attendant opened the boarding gate for the air hostess while they finished docking fully. Tina neck the last of the bourbon and heads to the toilet. At the same time, the first came down the tunnel demanding attention.


GOOD MORNING EVERYONE. WOULD YOU ALL LIKE TO BEGIN BORDERING?


 The agent knew he had to wait for Tina to reach the boarding cue before he could make a move until she reached the line, but he knew that it could not be too perfectly timed, or he could stand out and raise suspension. 


Tina heard the air hosts, and the barman told the gateway there was a nervous one in the toilet. As it was around 5:00am, the air host offered support for her. The toilet, and instantly, the air hostess knew this lady was good to fly. They walked to the gate together. The hostess asked for her passport, and her ticket, Seat 23, went straight through miss howdle" Tina met two more hostesses by the plane door. "Come on, we'll take you to your seat," she said with a smile and walked her to the plane. With that, Tina was ready for takeoff. She knew she had passed the boarding process and now had a window seat with an incredible view of the sky waiting for her. Tina closed the slider blind on her window. The Mini suitcase was sent to the luggage hold of the plane. Tina rested her head back on her feet while she waited for the rest of the travellers to take their seats. 


The agent followed the two ladies as the cue for the gate, but he got to the line before curing. An attendant said, "I see you have no bags, sir, is everything ok?

"yes, live had a new idea. I will purchase what I need when I get there" ha ha ha we all wish that would catch on with people "" Maybe I'm missing something." ", Nothing a few quid won't fix, sir.

Fifteen minutes later, he stepped foot on the plane and was escorted to his seat. 

His seat was 26 directly behind, who he thought of as his own lady. 

Ten minutes, the plane gets taken to runway two. 

 The engine roars to life, and the plane begins the takeoff. Still, she is slightly distributed by the fascinating horses winding up. Awesome, he thought. "I wonder how much Touurge tried to twist the wings up""

 Looking out the window, he watched the world become smaller as they lifted into the sky. 


The plane climbed higher and higher until it reached cruising altitude. That was when he was startled by a blood-curdling scream from Tina. Lots of angry looks were exchanged. They came over to tell her they could not scream up here. The Captain came on to inform everyone. That they are heading towards a heavy storm ahead. Maybe a little turbulence, everyone said the hostess. The agent jumped up. He could see his chance. She's right there. He could almost taste her perform. "Sit down, Sir", the hostess said. The tremors started. Tina has been stressed big time. Her fingertips were ready to break' then, a sudden drop in her stomach ten. Tina noticed the children, so she must be brave, so she let out a tense fart and grinned. The kid grinds back. Suddenly an incline. I wonder what it looks like on the outside, he said to himself. Haha, bring it on! he blurted. The plane levelled itself in anticipation of the storm's next punch. Instead, the Captain said we were all clear now. The rest of the journey should be clear plans. Suddenly there was a big bang near the tail, followed y a steep inclining then the plane waived into a smooth path. She looked at the kid and smiled, but no smile came back. Sorry, everyone, that last message was premature. We are now clear of every storm," said the Captain. Another hour to Miami airport; well done, miss Howdle world you like any refreshments? "No thanks.".


The Captain announces they will be landing soon. they 

 had arrived at their destination. 


They debarked the British Airways flight in Miami. He had 45 minutes to find the currency exchange. He could see an information point and made a B-line for it. The information point was a touchscreen; it was great, no messaging around. He was told straight out s the central currency exchange was 80 metres away. He got £200 changed into 1,767.61 Bolivian Bolivianos he is loaded. Tina exchanged a similar sum in the UK. Tina sat safely waiting for boarding 666 metres away from her stalker... To be continued


part 2



From La Paz to the Jungle


July 14, 2023 07:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Howdle Gavin
09:12 Jul 16, 2023

apologies for the lack of editing

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.