0 comments

Happy Holiday Romance

He could see her passion for her craft. He could see it in her face. Her skin was tanned from checking in on the oven constantly. He could see it in her hands. They were strong from taking the time to knead every batch of dough by hand. 

She could see his love of baking. She could see it in his arms. They were strong from lifting bag after bag of ingredients. She could see it in his gestures as he tried to sell his wares.  She could see it in his eyes as he spoke to customers.

In that moment, they saw kindred spirits in each other, even though they were rivals. Even though, they both had to go to war every day just to have their bakeries survive.  Even though they had grown to have a bad taste in their mouths at the thought of the other.  Maybe it was the cool winter air or the festive Christmas lights. Maybe it was the sparkling snow, that glittered like crushed glass, or the smell of cookies and candycanes that filled the street. Or, maybe it was the tinsel used to block off the road for the festival or the carollers singing in the middle of it all. Whatever it was, it made her go over and try a sample, bringing along one of her own.

"Zane," she said with a nod, sounding rather curt.  Inwardly, she cringed at her own tone.

"Annalise, how are you fairing?" He asked, his warm brown eyes showing his honest curiosity.  It wasn't rival curiosity,  but genuine wonder.

"Not so well, to be honest," she sighed. She had barely managed to see a few dozen cookies. "How about you?" Here it came, the gloating, the boasting, the burn of her rival's victory over her own.

"Actually, not so well either," his shoulders sagged a bit. 

Annalise looked up, "Really?" The shock was evident in her voice.

Zane's brow furrowed a bit, his eyes showing a sadness that ran deep. He nodded. "This bakery has been in my family for three generations and I'll be the one to sink it."

Realization dawned on Annalise's face. "Im in the same boat," she said softly.

"Nearly half of all of my customers go to your shop," Zane blushed lightly.

Annalise chuckled, "Almost half of the ones I use to have go to yours. The rest, go to that new place, the big one."

Annalise bit her lip during the next block of awkward silence. "Brought over a sample," she said, looking down at the plate Zane was staring at in her hand.

"Tryin' to win over the competition, huh?" He laughed. 

"Thought you might want a warm snack. Something different than your own."

Zane took the plate in his mitted hand. "Pick whatever you like, " he nodded to his own selection of baked goods.

Annalise picked out a particularly plain cookie, which sat nearer the back, away from all of the colorful holiday ones.  Zane eyed her curiously.  "Colorful ones usually have the dye flavor and sprinkles hide the real texture," she explained, taking a bite.  Zane nodded.  It was delicious!  At least she could take comfort in the fact that she wasn't losing business to a crappy baker.

The look on her face must have said it all.  "Surprised?" Zane asked, brow raised.

Annalise shook her head.  She hated how arrogant that made her sound.  "No, just...don't take this the wrong way,  just better than i expected."

He chuckled again, "I get it."  A look of incredulous shock took over his face.  It was so abrupt that it nearly made Annalise jump back.  Lost in his own head, half of his cookie fell to the table.  Shock mirrored in Annalise's face.

"What?" She asked quietly, half afriad to speak.

"What if...what if we went into business together?  Just for the holiday?  Like, made a joint business cookie, something new?"

Annalise's first instinct was to object. She couldn't go into business with her rival!  Her logical side, however, made her pause and think.  It was a sound idea, whether she liked it or not.  It would definitely draw in business.

"What's your best seller?"

"Sea salt carmel chip," he said, after a moment of thinking. 

Annalise thought for a moment, before a grin spread across her face.  "I think I've got an idea.  It's something I've been wanting to try for a while anyways.  I just didn't want to try it while losing business."

"Whatcha got in mind?"

"Butter pecan sea salt carmel chip," Annalise smiled proudly.

Zane thought for a moment, thumb and forefinger on his chin.  "Sounds good….Just might work."

It took some time to get the recipe right, the ratio of chips and the consistency of the batter.  Finally, it was done.   Cooking with Zane had been fun.  For being a rival, he was really helpful, extremely nice, very courteous and funny. He wasn't at all what she had expected.  They were both covered in flour in the end.  

Three days later, the day before Christmas Eve, and the festival was buzzing.  It was now or never.  Success or failure. 

Annalise and Zane had set up their tables, side by side, and decorated them.  Their cookie, which was quite large, sat in the middle.  She looked over at him.  Zane smiled.

"You ready for this?" He asked.

"Not sure, but it's been fun."

"Baking memories are always fun," he replied.  

Annalise wasn't sure if it was his warm smile or her nerves, but she caught herself looking down at his hand, wanting to take it in her own.  Her subtly mustn't have been very good, however.  Suddenly, she felt a hand in her own.  Looking up, she saw Zane smiling.  He squeezed her hand, to which she replied with the same gesture.  

 She smiled at him.  He winked in response.   They could do this.  She wondered what would happen after.

"Baking memories are the best," she agreed to herself, "but, baking memories of us are even better."

December 12, 2020 03:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.