0 comments

Holiday

I arrived at my friends house shortly after 8 pm, alone. My husband and I separated just after Thanksgiving. “Taking a break from each other” he claimed, “Let’s see if we are really meant to be together” he said just before he and his bags walked out the door. We really hadn’t spoken much since just a text here there “Hey how you doing?” We wished each other Merry Christmas but other than that not much else. I really didn’t know how I felt about it all and just wanted a night to get away from the house and the loneliness. My best friend had been bugging me to come see her so I decided to come to her New Year’s Eve party. This is the first one I’ve been too without my husband. 

Sherry opened her door immediately after I rang the bell grasped me into a tight hug. 

“I’m so glad you’re here!” She exclaimed releasing me and me breathing deep to catch the breath she squeezed out of me. 

“Come on” she said pushing me into her house and removing my coat and purse and walking them to her bedroom for safe keeping. I followed behind her admiring her Christmas decorations. The few people that were there mingling I knew and said hello to as I followed Sherry who then ushered me into the kitchen, which was deserted. 

“Carly I’m so glad you came tonight. I didn’t think you would” she said handing me a glass of wine. I accepted the glass and she raised hers to toast “here’s to a better 2020” she said and our glasses clinked. 

“Do you mind helping me get these

hors d'oeuvres ready?” Sherry asked

“No of course not” I replied setting down my wine glass and pitching in to help. 

“Have you heard from him lately?” She asked. I knew she was referring to my husband

Shaking my head and murmuring a soft “No” I continued to help with the food. 

“Awe sweetie I’m sorry “ she said gently putting her hand on my shoulder and softly squeezing. 

I looked at her and gave her a little smile. 

“Do you think he’s seeing someone else? I’m mean why else the abrupt departure. Right?” She speculated. 

“Sherry I honestly don’t know. I mean I know we’ve been drifting apart for a while before” I paused before continuing “he left, but I didn’t see any signs of there being someone else unless I was that blind.” I finished my voice barely a whisper trying not to cry. 

“I’m sorry no more talk about it tonight. Ok?” She said giving me a quick hug

“Come on lets take this food out there before they wonder where we went!” She said with laugh. 

We both grabbed a tray and off we went into the dining room were she had the table set buffet style. It was lovely Sherry definitely has a talent for decorating. 

“Well Sherry dear it’s about time” a gentleman’s voice boomed from behind us. 

“Oh hey Les!” Sherry exclaimed as she turned to the voice and greeted him. 

“Les this is my best friend Carly. Carly this is Lester McCain” Sherry introduces us when I turned around after placing the tray on the table. 

Les held his hand out and I grasped it. His hand was warm and strong after we shook, exchanged nice to meet you’s,  he released my hand and turned his gaze and attention to Sherry looking her up and down. 

Then exclaiming “Sherry you look lovely as ever” then leaned in to kiss her cheek. 

“Why thank you Les” she said with a wide grin winking at me and I smile at her. 

I continued to help Sherry in the kitchen and carrying out food to the table as more people arrived. She introduced me to those I didn’t know and I said hello to those I did. I was starting to feel more at ease as the night went on. Sherry mingled with her guests not leaving me alone for too long my wine glass was never empty and I was sipping it slowly. Even though I was staying the night with Sherry I really didn’t want to spend the party drunk. 

I walked outside to her lanai to admire her pool and her back yard with all the lights when a voice from behind stopped me

“Hello” he said coming up beside me “I’m Ty Larkin” he said extending his hand toward me. 

“Hi I’m Carly James” I answered putting my hand in his and felt his warm electricity. 

“How long have you known Sherry?” He asked

“Well” I said with a slight giggle feeling suddenly nervous with him

“Since we were about 14 years old. We met at school some boy was picking on me calling me names and pulling my hair, and Sherry came over and kicked him square in the butt!” I explained to him surprised at myself for blurting out the story. Upon seeing the incredulous look on his face I raised my hand and said “I kid you not” and giggled when he smiled. 

“Oh crap! What has gotten into me?” I asked myself “am I really flirting with this man?” I continued to think. 

I caught him staring at me and I quickly came back to reality. I cleared my throat and took a sip of my wine. Hoping I wouldn’t dribble any down my chin or blouse. 

“Are you from here?” He asked not seeming to notice my nervous behavior or if he did being gracious to ignore it. 

“Yes I live about 20 minutes away just over the causeway. “ I explained pulling myself together 

“How about you?” I asked taking another small sip of my wine

“Miami. Justin’s taking a little vaca to visit friends. Will be going to Orlando in the morning.”

“Oh” I said. 

There was a bit of silence both of us taking in the cool night. 

“What do you do for a living?” I asked him when the pause became awkward. 

“I’m a commercial real estate agent. I actually own my own office actually offices” he explained. 

“Wow!” I exclaimed “I guess Miami would be a good place for that.” I continued. 

“Yes. Yes it is” he agreed. “I do very well for myself”

“Are you” We both started together, then laughed as our eyes met both our hands up with a pointed finger at each other and we laughed so more. I was really starting to feel comfortable with him. His deep expressive voice putting me at ease then I realized that’s what he does as real estate agent put people at ease. I grew serious then as he said gesturing to me “You first”.

I shrugged and said “I was going to ask if you were married.”

“No. Divorced for a few years now and no prospects”, he explained

“Until now” he said softly. 

I was utterly taken aback. I coughed and choked on my sip of wine. My hand flew to my chest and gently patted till the episode ended. 

He very gently saying “Are you ok?” While holding my shoulders to keep me steady. 

Oh my God the total embarrassment as I felt my face turn red. Hopefully it was dark enough for him not to notice, but I turned away anyways and walked inside straight to the bathroom. Turning in the light and locking the door.  I leaned against the door taking in the coolness of it on my back and trying to steady my breathing. “What the hell is going on?” I said quietly to myself. 

I pushed off the door and turned and looked into the mirror. I barely recognized myself. My eyes wide with excitement and my red hair newly bobbed to my chin was a bit messy but cute. My face had lost the stoney haggard look I’ve been sporting this past month. I washed my hands dried them, then straightened my blouse deciding I liked this look for me. I took a last look at myself in the mirror ran my fingers through my hair took a deep breathe and opened the door. 

I walked to the living room were everyone was and Ty came up to me  with a concerned look on his face. I smiled at him and he immediately smiled back. Handing me a fresh glass of red wine he asked “Are you ok?” The concern finding its way back to his face. 

“Yes. Yes I am.” I answered assuring him. 

“I would really like to continue our conversation” he said hesitantly unsure of my intentions. 

I smiled up at him and without hesitation said “Me too”

“Why don’t we get something to eat before it’s gone” he suggested

“That would be lovely” I answered as he guided me to the buffet table. I wasn’t hungry due to my nervousness, but I knew I needed something in my stomach to absorb the wine and settle my nerves. I put a bite or two of a few things while he made a small sandwich for himself slathering on the mayo. It did look good but I was going to stick with what I choose. 

After grabbing a couple of napkins we made our way back to the lanai were a few people had gathered. 

“Follow me” I said leading him out towards the pool to a quiet sitting area were we wouldn’t be disturbed. 

We talked in between bites of food and sips of wine. 

He asked if was married and I explained that we were currently separated and that I wasn’t sure what was going to happen or even how I felt. 

He explained that he too had separated from his wife before the divorce. They had no kids they just grew apart due to long working hours on both their parts. He said she is remarried and has a kid now and that she’s happy and he’s happy for her. 

I just nodded wondering if that’s what my future held. 

I explained I missed my husband and I’m sad but I’m not devastated by the split and actually I’m not sure I feel anything if that makes sense. He said it did that he understood. Then he took my hand in his and squeezed it while looking my eyes. I found myself wondering if I got lost in his eyes would I want to return. 

I couldn’t help but to stare back while he smiled. He made me feel good and that hasn’t happened in a long time. 

The night seemed to have come to a stand still and we were the only ones there. As we talked we tuned everyone and everything out. When we realized our wine glasses were empty and he volunteered to take our trash and get refills the spell was broken and reality was right there were we left it, but for me less harsh and I found comfort in that. 

“It’s almost midnight” he said handing me my glass. 

“Oh really?” I asked dumbfounded at the time. 

“Come on” he said holding his hand out to me to help me up. We held hands going back up to the lanai, but we released as we entered to house through the open French door. Everyone was gathered in the living room with the big screen tv watching the Time Square ball drop. The count down was almost ready to begin. Ty and I stood side by side facing the tv and our hands found each other’s as we counted down to 12 o’clock. 

“One!” We both said together turning to face each other then next thing I knew his lips were on mine and we were kissing. He tongue gently caressing my lips which I parted to allow him in. The earth moved with that kiss and butterflies fluttered in my stomach. Someone must have grabbed the glass from my hand because when I embraced him it was gone. We finally parted after what seemed like forever. We both scanned the room finding no attention on us except Sherry and Les who had his arm draped over her shoulder. She was holding two glasses one of which was my wine glass that she handed back to me. 

I shyly took it saying a quick “Thank you” to her beaming face. Les was smiling at both of us I saw when I ventured a peek at him. 


The party continued for another hour and people started to leave saying their thank you’s and Happy New Year. Ty and I had continued to talk after our kiss. Me still kind of dumbfounded, surprised, and excited by it. We found ourselves out back again in a secluded corner this time and his lips found mine again and I didn’t want it to end. 

He stopped breathlessly “I’m sorry, but I really have to go. God knows I don’t want to” he explained softly then kissed me again. 

We parted again and stared at each other knowing we would probably never see each other again and that was breaking my heart. 

He turned to go then paused turned back caressed my cheek and whispered in my ear

“This is the closest I’ve come to falling in love in a long time” with that he was gone. 

I stood there for a while with my fingers on my lips still feeling his kiss and being lost in the moment and feeling for just a little while longer.  

I knew then what my future was to be and I felt ready to face it. 

January 01, 2020 21:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.