10 comments

Speculative Sad Suspense

“You must be so proud of your husband!” my father in law wrapped me into a warm embrace. We were standing on the driveway in front of our house. The shade from the tall oak tree covering the hot summer sun, but I could still feel the heat coming from the black tar driveway. The in-laws were in town for a quick overnight visit. My father in law was referring to the fact that my husband was so active in his professional life and in the National Guard. He himself was a retired military man and was a true patriot. He felt everyone should serve their country. He completely bought into the phrase that freedom is not free.


I enthusiastically hugged my father in law back and we carried the overnight bags inside. “It sure keeps him busy, did he tell you what happened last week when he was away?”


At this point my husband catches my eye and rolls his eyes towards the ceiling. “Wait,” he says. “I can’t help it if you need a map. Or maybe to listen more closely.”


“Very funny, wise guy,” I responded. 


“Grandma! Grandpa!” A chorus of cries and the pounding of feet signaled that our three children had heard their grandparents voices and were making their way into the kitchen to receive hugs and kisses, and possibly any candy that hadn’t been eaten already by Grandpa. Or nixed by mom this close to dinner time. 


“My goodness, what is your mom feeding you all? You just keep growing taller and taller! You must be the tallest in your classes! Have you graduated from high school when we weren’t here?” Grandpa said.


The oldest giggled, “No grandpa, I just finished fifth grade.” 


“I’m in second grade!” the middle said.


“No dummy,” said the oldest. “You’re done with second, now you are in third grade. Or you say you finished second grade.”


“No name calling,” I said on auto pilot. “Now you say two nice things.”


“Aw, mom...I was just trying to…” the withering look stopped him from speaking any further. With a sigh, “You are good at coloring. Your breath doesn’t stink.”


The youngest, at age four, was sitting in Grandma’s lap sucking on a lollipop. “He reminds me so much of his dad at that age. You're so good with the kids, honey.”


"Thanks, mom." I was thinking that I wished the kids wouldn’t act like a bunch of monkeys around the in-laws on their brief visits. Their dad was home so infrequently; it was hard on everyone to have their routine upset. The kids the most as they seemed to be confused that their dad didn't know the routine.


“You were going to tell us what happened last week, dear.” My mother-in-law reminded me.


“Oh, well...it’s not that big of a deal, really. I had called Sam to tell him about something, I can’t even remember what now, and he mentioned how he and a bunch of the guys from the conference had rented a car to go see a Cardinals game. I really didn’t think much of it. Honestly. I am, after all, calling a cell phone number. I could be calling anywhere. He could be anywhere.”


At this point, my husband chimed in, “Yeah, but I wasn’t just anywhere, I told you where I was as I was packing my bag for the airport. I was flying to St. Louis. You knew this. I was halfway across the country and you didn’t even know it!”


“Yeah, a different time zone, different part of the country, yada yada. I’m here working full time and keeping track of where the kids' shoes are. You keep track of where you are.” I threw a dishrag at him. “So what’s the deal, are we ordering pizza for this mob or am I making hot dogs on the grill?”


****


“You must be so proud of your husband!” my father in law wrapped me into a warm embrace. We were standing on the tarmac in front of the airport hangar. The early spring breeze still held a scent of snow. It was cold, but the sun was trying to warm up the earth and our faces. The in-laws were in town for a quick overnight visit. My father in law was referring to the fact that my husband was returning from a year long deployment. He himself was a retired military man and was a true patriot. He felt everyone should serve their country. He completely bought into the phrase that freedom is not free.


I enthusiastically hugged my father-in-law back. We waved our flags as the men and women in battle fatigues deplaned and walked towards us as one mass. One united group; it was hard to tell who was who. One from the other. They had just spent the last year together living and breathing in the same space of unspeakable experiences. One by one they broke apart, broken. We wrapped Sam into a hug, my father-in-law and I, along with the kids and my mother-in-law. My hero was home. Yes, I was proud.


****

“You must be so proud of your husband!” my father in law wrapped me into a warm embrace. We were standing on the driveway in front of their house. Fallen leaves swirled around our feet in the brisk wind nipping at our noses. The kids and I were visiting the in-laws for Thanksgiving. My father in law was referring to the fact that my husband was so active in his professional life and in the National Guard. He himself was a retired military man and was a true patriot. He felt everyone should serve their country. He completely bought into the phrase that freedom is not free.


My husband was away. Again. Another conference. Or Reserve weekend. Or a workshop. Or meeting. Or just away. Again.


****

“You must be so proud of your husband!” my father in law wrapped me into a warm embrace. 


“Your husband is always so helpful,” I often hear from the people I meet. “Your husband is always so friendly.” That’s another popular description of him. 


Everyone on the outside sees the wonderful terrific guy that I once saw too.


But then…


But then those rose colored glasses shattered. 


“You know, he’s gone all the time because he doesn’t want to be home with you, right?” my mother-in-law said one day over the phone. “There’s someone, or perhaps, many others, over the years, that he has chosen to be with. You get what you deserve in this life, dear.” 


****

“You must be so proud of yourself!” my father in law wrapped me into a warm embrace. We were standing on the driveway in front of the house. The sun beat down on us but all I felt was the warmth coming from the love and support. The in-laws were in town for a quick overnight visit. My father in law was referring to the fact that my husband had moved on and so had I. My mother-in-law was right. We do get what we deserve in this life. And the kids all ran down the driveway to greet their grandparents. 



November 19, 2021 10:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
06:24 Nov 22, 2021

This was a great story Francis. I loved the back and forth in the beginning, and the phrase "Freedom is not free." I liked the family dynamics here, and as usual, your amazing writing brought the story to life. Great job as always!! :) :)

Reply

Francis Daisy
09:42 Nov 22, 2021

Thank you kindly, sir!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
02:09 Nov 21, 2021

Wow, you have a gift with these kinds of narratives. A real movie-inside-my-head with this one. Keep them coming...

Reply

Francis Daisy
13:01 Nov 21, 2021

thank you! Writing is my escape from life...:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
00:16 Nov 21, 2021

Hello Francis, I loved reading your story and enjoyed the crescendo to the final pay off and the realisation of karma and it’s ethereal effect in our lives. The structure was intriguing and reminds me of the ‘Groundhog Day’ movie with Bill Murray. The pacing worked well and you have plenty of scope for a longer version if you wanted to develop the idea further. Well done. I look forward to your next piece of writing. HH :)

Reply

Francis Daisy
12:55 Nov 21, 2021

Hi Howard, Thank you for reading and for your kind comments. Funny enough, as I was vacuuming yesterday - I always seem to do my best "writing" inside my head and not at my computer - I was pondering how to tuck more in to this piece. I believe I can still edit as it wasn't submitted. I hadn't thought of "Groundhog Day" - but now that you mention it...hmmm, interesting take on it. :)

Reply

John Del Rio
03:49 Feb 24, 2022

I know what you mean about writing in your head, even more so than on the computer. I do the same thing.

Reply

Francis Daisy
22:47 Feb 24, 2022

...and it always sounds better in my head too! I'm sure you don't have this problem, as your writing is AMAZING. I'm just floundering along trying to play with words here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
03:48 Feb 24, 2022

As well done as all your others I have enjoyed thus far. I thought I saw something coming. The prompt often gives you an idea of what to expect. I liked the repetition of the father in-law and his patriotism, and beliefs. I will read more, and no doubt, I will enjoy them.

Reply

Francis Daisy
22:45 Feb 24, 2022

Thanks for the read! I'm glad you picked up on the pattern/repetition of the patriotism theme.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.