0 comments

Friendship High School Teens & Young Adult

"Talia!" I turn around and see my best friend Lilly jogging down the side walk to greet me "Careful! Its icy!" I laugh and start over to greet her. My checks are rosy red, and my hands are frozen but I can bare just a bit longer. She smiles brightly at me "You ready?" I tilt my head, I dont remember making plans with her. "Talia! Seriously!? The festival!" now that rings a bell, I had totally forgotten about the festival, I was supposed to bring some baked goods to sell. "Thats...today?" I say nervously as I blow into my hands that are slowly turning purple. Lilly huffs and crosses her arms "Yes thats today! Please tell me you at least remembered to bake?!" I chuckle nervously "Um...yea..totally..." I say nervously "Ughhhh Talia!" she groans "Im sorry! Ive just been so busy, and I just forgot okay. Ill go start baking now, i'll call into work and say something came up. Oh im so fired" I mutter the last part under my breath before pulling out my phone and walking into the house, Lilly trailing behind. The warmth floods me and I smile. "Yes I know, and im sorry but I have to get this done. Ill work extra next week" I hang up and sigh "This better be worth it" I growl and throw on an apron and get to work.

I stalk into the festival, freezing cold. "Lilly, tell me again. how I 'magically' got singed up to bring treats" I scoff. Im not mad at Lilly, never. Just cold, and not in the mood for people. She grins "I told you, magic" She smirks and speeds up, going to help Mrs. Spokesman with her tent. My teeth chatter as I walk over to the tent Lilly had set up the other day apparently. The town was bustling with people setting up, kids running around playing tag, and cars jogging by. I walk into the tent, there were three table set up in a U shape. I sigh with a soft smile and start setting the desserts in trays and stands. "No! Over here!" I hear a familiar voice holler to someone outside the tent. I walk out and look around. I spot him. My high school crush, the guy I told everyone id marry. Yea that didn't happen. I smile and start walking over "Oh good some help!" he says as he looks at me before rambling on what I need to do. "Oh um Mark" I chuckle nervously "Im not help, I was just coming over to say Hi." I smile but he looks confused "Do I know you?" I was baffled, how did he not know who I was? We talked all the time, we were in the same friend group. "Yea.. we went to High school together? Remember? My names Talia? You called me T?" He shakes his head "Nope, sorry" he shrugs and walks off. That was weird I thought to myself as I walked over to Lilly "Guess who I just saw" I say, but I sounded confused. "Who?" Lilly says as she rearranges decorations "Mark Smith. From High school, the guy I said I was gonna marry. I was a strange kid" I chuckle and smile. "Oh nice, ya'll catch up?" I shake my head "Nope, he didn't even remember me" Lilly bursts out laughing then coughs "Sorry" she says holding in laughter. I roll my eyes and laugh a bit "Shut up!" I tease. "Well maybe if you go tell him you wanted to marry him when you were 16 and practically stalked him then he'll remember" I roll my eyes and walk off, I find Mark again "Mark? Its Talia. I was obsessed with you in High school, we were in the same friend group. Your best friend was Gavin Tee?" He glances at me "Look... Talia?" I nod " I dont know who you are or how you know who my best friend was in High school but I need to get to work. Nice meeting you." he gives me a small weary smile before walking away and getting lost in the swarm of people. I shake my head and walk back to my tent, confused on what just happened. "Everything okay?" The calm voice of Leah, Lillys sister approaches me. I turn around and smile "Yup! Everything's okay, just a bit baffled" I grab a cupcake and hand it to her "shhh" I smile and her eyes go wide before grabbing it and running off. I laugh and shake my head.

"See it wasnt that bad" I chuckle "fine you win, except the Mark situation. Now that was weird." she shrugs and rocks her head side to side, "True" I smile.

I walk the streets of downtown, I see Mark again. I walk up to him "Okay seriously Mark, its me Talia. I was in love with you in High school!" I was getting angry but I kept calm. He looks at me "Okay lady, I dont know who you are. You look familiar but - " "Omg. Your still impossible, I will even repeat your schedule for you, show you pictures of us together, i will even find our friends." He grins "Talia chill, I know its you" he laughs. I stare at him "Bu-but?" He smirks "I just wanted you to say you loved me" He shrugs "Rude!" I laugh and smile. I was glad he remembered me and was just teasing me, but that freaked me out for a bit.

---- 5 Years Later ---

"Shara! Luke! Dinner!" I holler, and spin around, giving a kiss to Mark. I smile and hear the kids come stampeding down the stairs. My high school self had good taste, and could predict the future. I married my High school best friend, crush, and now lover.

"Mommy? Daddy? How did you and Daddy meet?" I smile and glance at Mark. "High school, then we drifted ways for college. Then a few years later I saw him at the winter festival. He teased me and acted like he didnt know who i was but im stubborn and kept bothering him" I laugh and so do the kids. "Now eat you little goblins" They laugh and dig into their food.

February 16, 2021 00:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.