0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

60 years are a long period in humans, well over half a life time. It was after that time I set out to Arka which was where I was born and grew up . The paddies had disappeared and food processing plants had found their way in. The railway station was missing. I was told it had been abandoned after closure of a narrow gauge rail line was discontinued.

Gopi had lived in a small house near the railway station. There was no trace of the station itself and I assumed Gopi’s house had been demolished. There seemed to be nobody I could enquire from. I remembered old stationmaster Michael. I went to a church not far off hoping to get info on Mike as he was known. The churchmen knew no one named Mike.

Why did I take the trouble to find out about Gopi? He had been the headmaster of Arka high school of which I was an alumnus.  He was the one who had moulded me to life. He had taken special pains to educate me. I remember he had given me a translation exercise: One page in English of a book by German philosopher Immanuel Kant. He had asked me to translate it into Tamil, my mother tongue. It took me days and Gopi had said “It was a very difficult page to translate but you did a great job. You’ll be a great writer or translator.” I had lived up to his prophecy with my translation into English of a couple of Tamil books. Of course it was only a sideline but gave me a name. My income came from the business I am conducting with my son as partner. I felt Gopi had to be remembered. I was thinking that if…… I will come back to it!

Having reached Arka I remembered the healer Warrier who had lived quite near Gopi’s house. His powders and oils had kept many of Arka stay healthy. There was no trace of Warrier’s residence but I saw there was a big medical supplies shop with the name Warrier. I made a beeline to it but found that it had no connection with the old Warrier.  However one of the employees gave me a clue: One of the old Warrier’s descendants -a namesake- had become a big man in the Navy and had settled in  Chennai city. I had no problem finding retired vice admiral Navin Warrier, a much decorated navy person. I was a bit hesitant to visit such an eminent man but he proved most friendly. He said “I remember Arka but don’t remember the medico Warrier”.

I told him “I’m trying to locate headmaster Gopi of Arka high school. No particular reason. Just to know what happened to him through any of his kin.”

Navin thought a while and said “There was a Madav in Arka. If I remember right he had studied in that school. Madav’s grandson with same name is head of Madav Confectionery. You could perhaps get some info from him.”

I profusely thanked Navin and went to find Madav. He also proved very friendly. He said “I haven’t heard of Gopi but I was told the high school building had been demolished as it was in disrepair. A school run by a mission is said to have taken its place. May be the mission school could give you the details you need.”

I thanked him and he said “Before you go here is a complementary box of Madav Confectionary.”

I accepted it thinking of Gopi.

I got back to Arka and spoke to Ambrose the headmaster of the mission school. He was a young man and said “I know nothing about the past”.

 I thought I had reached the end of the road. But no! Someone directed me to a Hindu mission saying it had been in Arka but had now moved out to the town of Mawl not very far away.

I reached Mawl and was with the God man himself. Godman said “Our mission has been in existence for over two centuries. In the last 60 years two of our heads have passed away. I’m sure they would’ve known Gopi.”

I called off trying to locate anything about Gopi. As I have said I run a business with my son as partner but I have virtually retired from it. Fond memories of Gopi linger and it was in my mind to make some kind of behest to a descendant of Gopi if feasible. But I again went to Arka. The town had an ancient temple and devotees would swarm in particularly during festive occasions. I went and worshipped at the temple. In a way which had become routine I asked the priest if he had heard of headmaster Gopi. He was a young man and he hadn’t but he was garrulous.

He said “My grandmother might know. She is now in Mexico taking care of my sister who is in the family way there. You could talk to her on the phone or email her. I have the address. In fact my sister’s groom came to worship here, met my sister and married her. He works for a plant dealing with oil well equipment.”

I felt I should have started my enquiries at the temple. I thought of texting the woman in Mexico but then I thought it would be foolish. The priest had no information about the sister’s delivery date.

I told the priest “Please alert me about your grandmother’s return and I’ll come and meet her.”

A month later I received a message from the priest saying his grandma was back. But I was held up for various reasons and could meet her only 2 weeks later. I was with the lady and mentioning headmaster Gopi  wanted details.

She said “My grandma knew Gopi who was said to be very upright. He wasn’t very religious but it seems used to visit this temple to pray on occasion. His wife it seems predeceased him. A year later he went on a long pilgrimage to Benares and so on. He never returned. We don’t know what happened. He left no issues.”

I was a bit unhappy to hear the tidings about Gopi. I made a cash offering to the temple as thanks to the priest. The amount surprised the priest. Within myself I felt I had remembered my fond headmaster Gopi. After all it is the thought that counts. I will carry his memory with me as long as I live. Time is the great effacer. The more we try to chase time the less we will know as it leaves even its traces blown away. What after me? Even I will be gone! Clouds of time will obscure all of us!

END

April 09, 2023 07:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.