AYLA'S WORLD OF COLOR

Submitted into Contest #239 in response to: Write a story about an artist whose work has magical properties.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction

I put the brush on the canvas and bang the whole room comes alive. Swirls of reds, blues, yellows, greens and purples are all around me, lighting up my world.

Color is magic. Paint brushes are magic. My canvas is where the magic happens. Different worlds of my creation come alive. My characters bright, beautiful and with the biggest smile come alive.

Art and magic are everywhere. My worlds are everywhere not just on my canvas but in my sketch books as well. I put pencil to paper and bang my worlds come alive.

The whole room fills up with bright colors lighting up the darkness. Outside darkness is everywhere but when I put paint brush to canvas or pencil to paper light shines in.

Pictures that need a little bit of magic, a little bit of light here I come to give you that. Take a color pencil, a crayon and I will give you the light and the magic.

Creativity is everywhere even in the darkness. Imagination is everywhere even in the darkness. I take all my tools I use to create my worlds and enter the darkness. Light is nowhere to be found.

I feel nothing in the darkness. Lifelessness is what is all around me. Light and color is what I need to bring. I have what I need. Magic starts to form in my sketch book.

My pencil begins to feel the magic. Here I go. The bench at the park is a good place to go. From the bench I can see everything.

My fingers are itching to get started. My sketch book is itching to get started. Here I go. One, two, three, I put pencil to paper.

Shapes, all different shapes are being formed. Big shapes. Small shapes. It's a crazy page of shapes. My shapes are beginning to form people. My pencil is magic.

Buildings, people, animals, cars and planes. A world of awesomeness is forming. Bright color is next. The colors are so beautiful. My world is coming alive. The color is making the darkness come alive.

My sketch book is filled with so many images. So many beautiful things. Everywhere, all around me my world fills up with beautiful images. My pencil has made the most beautiful people, smiling and laughing.

I brought the lifelessness out of the darkness but I need to do more. There can be no darkness left only light and color need to be here.

I leave the darkness and return to my space of color and light where brightness fills the room. I need my canvas and my paint brush. My paint brush and canvas need to bring more light to the darkness.

My canvas is blank but soon it will be filled with color that will take the darkness away. My colors are all around me. I pick the brightest color and fill my canvas with all the light.

I put paint brush to canvas. Here I go. Color, light fill up my canvas. My space is lighting up with bright swirls of light. The darkness is not here.

I left the darkness where it belongs. But soon I must return to the darkness whether I want to or not. I need to bring more color and light to the darkness. First, I must fill up my canvas with color.

All over my canvas shapes begin to form. The paint brush smooth and tenderly paint beautiful trees, flowers, animals of all kinds and people. The color in them are beautiful. My world is coming alive.

I look at my canvas. Something is missing but what could it be. Color and light fill my canvas. Then it hits me. My world needs a little bit of its creator.

At the corner of my painting with easy strokes, I paint Lilly flowers, Roses of all different color and my all time favorite flower Lilies of the valley. Now it's perfect.

Sadly tomorrow, I return to the darkness to bright more light and color to bring more smiles and happiness.

I see the darkness outside. It scares me. There is nothing I can do about the darkness at this time. My fingers are itching to create more images of my worlds.

I pick up my paint brush. I pick my favorite or one of my favorite colors blue. I put the paint brush in the color blue and I beginning painting.

I'm envisioning something beautiful. Something magical it will take your breath away. I close my eyes. The image is in my head, beautiful. My hands can't stop moving.

I open my eyes. Wow, just wow. What was in my head is now in my canvas. Waterfalls are beautiful and magical. Now time to fill in the rest of my canvas.

Bug trees, small trees, tigers and monkeys even insects. This painting, my new world is my own jungle kingdom. One of many worlds I created. One more thing need to be added. Fish in the water.

I look around me. My space. My studio is filled with different colors, different images of people, flowers and so much more. My very own worlds.

I love it. I love how my space looks. The darkness can't find me here. This is my safe place. My safe place where only the light can come in. What will happen when I re-enter the darkness?

It's the next day. I will re-enter the darkness. But I will not go where I went last time. I will go someplace different. To a place where the darkness can't find me. I call this place, Ayla's safe place in the darkness.

Outside of my safe place, this place is where I feel safe from the darkness. it's where my creativity in the darkness takes root. I love this place because it's mine and mine alone.

River Walk is my place in the darkness where light and color swirl around me. Now it's time to re-enter the darkness and walk to my safe place. I am in the darkness.

I again feel nothing. Lifelessness is all around me. No one is smiling. No one is laughing. No one is happy. I hate it here. I walk quickly to River Walk. You are almost there.

Sweat is pouring from my face. My heart is racing. Breath in and out. You are here Ayla. Rest easy. I sit on the grass and close my eyes. I take three breaths in and out. In and out. In and out. I open my eyes and take out my sketch book.

Bringing color to River Walk is going to be amazing. I take out my pencil and my fingers begin to work their magic. Images are beginning to invade my mind. Here I go.

I see what I'm drawing. Yes, the image is becoming clear. Shapes form on my page. The image begins to take form. Color is next. I pick the most beautiful colors.

I work my magic. The image in the darkness is beautiful. The image is me. I brought light and color to the darkness. I brought light and color to my worlds.

February 28, 2024 21:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Myranda Marie
21:07 Mar 06, 2024

I feel this way more often than not. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.