Why His Bastard Forsworn The Joke Severely Lost, a confession

Submitted into Contest #221 in response to: Write a story about someone who is haunted. Whether by a ghost or something else is up to you.... view prompt

7 comments

Creative Nonfiction Coming of Age Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

One of the biggest problems I have worked at until independent of this lesson throughout my life was the adoration of a visitor who was simply giving what my father was never meant to give me as a child, despite the long and hard struggle he fought for seeing me, a visitor from his illness undefiled by what happened between him and me, judging from how swept with furious sorrow he belched in front of me, no longer could stay assimilated into that illness which choked him sincerely at the end of that visit, soon his illness was determined to grasp for another few years whenever he was stuck with my sophistication into an adult, he cannot adumbrate how little-known he has helped before naming me his own infected brain, like religion seeping dismally and haunted became his orbit across the constellations of his warping world he was in intense denial of me having been afflicted with any aspect of congenial shortcoming, disgusted at the least instant of insinuating his seed was defective with signs of complete neglect and total loss of form, undulating into prominence of his lessening airspace he tolerated as the clarity of my last meetings with him only grew disfavored under the nervous and shambolic relationship me and my father had perished inside the heads of each other, swimming with threatening and malnourished clicks on the problems neither admitted were keeping us from having a home, whether the road or relegated to be what relative you are invited to see before death was taken over in the middle of nowhere, at least where my father left me with things knowing his father's earshot dead person my father cloyingly sought to recuse from preventing me from having a place to say goodbye to my papa, expecting me former from the unclean joke he did on his troubled prodigal son.


"Don't get yourself in something you can never fix yourself," he said to me from the partition of shade from the desk neighboring the door of forestry and hillside that cape of scrolled covering unfold from concealment, "Don't forget who you owe what you desire and admire was the same man that I taught you about, and yet you have failed me and evening to profile, challenging me about how I raised you from a woman who had nothing but embarrassment surrounding your birth?"


He had reserved a room, but left it for me sans having been understood by his eerily stonelike handshake when me and him were still talking, almost two years ago when he would touch me like a girl he can no longer keep within his reach of heartache, keeping himself on a sigh of comfort whenever I was struggling to find shelter in his furtive, glowering validation. He was accustomed to vanishing from the moment his loudness was empty, and then never heard back until I was finally ready to break the news to him.


That I hate him, and that while he is trying not without flagrant infraction against his current woman, that he has left all his agony as a mask of childhood who had raped what peace with belief in a hereafter he said would be my rawboned body on a sacred heart he brought into his care and wrathful, albeit drunkenly malingering in my window sill silhouetted by the hopelessness he beheld that sodden weekend decades ago. That the problem with teaching me it was all a joke was that my father, though fastidiously wiser than any shape of man shockingly absent for his child to be a better future ahead than he often could really afford to believe for me.


He put me out on my own and nearly penniless after graduation, making it tacitly won that the woman he said he didn't love who stabbed the mattress his child was last seen sleepless across, and even years later he had her accompany him with a desolation of joy unheard within her ugly, barely hidden hostility toward me having enough insult for all the hope in myself I would ask for him during my college years to even come together, and then never vouch worse toward my end.


There was no longer any yielding I could feel that provisionally tilted myself uselessly conjectured on even the fact that I was only so young inside my wounds and fastened to my translucent skin beneath his blemished eyes receding below where he smirked as if I was encountering him in a dream where I could end up moving into an illness that he could, partioned from his own part of mishandling, is only rallying his love for me because I helped bring the world into a hamper of meaning and memories, never needing replacement except from the mystification in me carrying his dream inside-out, and looking at him as one who was alive on earth where his belief was a glass that buttressed against his own hideous destiny taught to me as he, will die alone not from those portents I know will make him suffer for the real conviction that January would have been, a little zit blackening until intensile and jagged, much akin to the hollow in my palate mid-click his afterimage has become increasingly uncertain within my skin, the ceiling, the bloodless heel of any meandering fearfully under his living image.


I did nothing but love someone who will never forget me.


"That's unbelievably cold of you to say," he said with uncommon astonishment when I told him I had felt a great peace emerge from beyond my understanding of what was ripping me apart about his life kept together during those formative experiences where I did not dream that was freed from my enemies, nor did it happen that it was foreign to me remembering that my father's second marriage left him a defenseless debt to a car she was barely paying for from how much she used him for his money and never paid him a lick of sense back.


The woman mentioned earlier in this story touched me in a way that my mother or father never had the warmth burnishing within their betrayal of the heart and the lord they both have put above my judgement to this day with pessimistic oversight for divinity absence, neither of them took the love that a woman in covetousness wrapped her hands around my soul that weekend when I was put alongside visiting him. She might of loved more than she thought she loved my father, and she told me that Jesus Christ was a rebel without a cause and a true insurrection against the fragile fray of outcomes that my father's replenishing repentance was not in store for, once I had closed him from my open home.


Because it was a joke beneath what I could never forgive for. But he will be alone and he will not know what he could seize from his own mishandlings, if only he would permit he didn't know what he was doing when he died inside my dreams, and emitted burned out murals even when the score was not in my hope for him to see what he damaged from his own infected brain adream, but that was inane for me to come to that fact, not unlike how he had been fortunate enough to retort whenever my own position on the things he liked and I liked but did nothing except pick apart to his growing apathy, so I can think without having been left alone for his regret, a frightening prospect he embellished with his own lack of scale for how little he felt for someone he named, naked, and then soon gave up hereafter for his years rewarded forgetting what was annihilated in a bleakly upside down October night years ago.


When the illness that was God's design voiced a creature under control of malicious and spiritual actions, making my father's thoughtless relationship a reality that today, I cannot find escape from because of how little it meant that I was blown adaze with deathly fear when he died inside a handshake, emollient as his emotional distance was a glass he had only began touching the other side of, and trembled at a world he was reduced to a liar once it outgrew how negligible his business would become independent of my own problems.

October 25, 2023 01:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

David Sweet
14:01 Oct 30, 2023

A complicated story and one that you were brave to tell as creative nonfiction. Do you feel that this was good therapy for you as a "confession?" I am moving to E TN soon. Do you know of any writing groups in the area? I belong to a couple of groups here in KY, but would like to make some writing connections in that area.

Reply

E Moss
18:06 Oct 30, 2023

I am not a member of any group but there is a writing group in Chattanooga I may inspect soon. They meet every Thursday first and third week of the month. Otherwise, I am always gamesome to make a new friendship in letters. And maybe even workshop, if you are willing to see more. This is a rare nonfiction story btw. I had only ever glimpsed at this in fictional representation, but thank you.

Reply

David Sweet
18:25 Oct 30, 2023

I will be living in Newport. I went to the book festival in Chattanooga in April. It was a nice, small gathering. The Southern Appalachian Writer's Coalition (SAWC) used to meet near Jefferson City but now meet at Hindman. It would be great to have another person to workshop with. I have a few people indo that with online, if you are ever interested.

Reply

E Moss
23:48 Oct 30, 2023

I am absolutely down, and welcome you to feel free to email me at nonstopdeconstruct@gmail.com What sort of workshop does your online circle go for generally? Fiction, and if so, what do they seek for in projects within the process of instruction and demonstration?

Reply

Show 0 replies
E Moss
23:49 Oct 30, 2023

I just recently quit my job there.(chattanooga) I live in Rockwood, TN. It is uhm, how do I say this very respectfully, a veritable wormhole of rural dilapidation.

Reply

Show 0 replies
E Moss
00:02 Oct 31, 2023

Also here is an obligatory share with me for a writing connection with me providing my 30ish minutes of fame, my first podcast interview at contemporary cult (maximalist/postmodern/hysterical realist/high modernist/experimental)literary fiction streaming Beyond The Zero(has also included the likes of Gary Lutz, Blake Butler, it was aired and broadcast Dec. 21, about nearly a year after my first story was published on here (which has become the impetus to the beginning of my first debut novel, which I have been working on for nearly 3 years ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
E Moss
00:10 Oct 31, 2023

I'm sorry, I almost forgot to answer one of your initial questions. It was as therapeutic as peeling off residual skins on dead feet awakening in a cold shivering of release from resentment by hatred a convalescence only a fraction here displays how truly the lines between what's shown are not all that it seems. The fiction story about this same theme? Meshes of Messy Men. I'm going to be very blunt and say that the story is also a very dark, very contemplative but very very both subversive and perhaps, just downright mean at heart not f...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.