Restart & Rebirth

Written in response to: Write a story that centres around an Instagram post.... view prompt

6 comments

Fiction Friendship Romance

Author's note: This story is based off of this Instagram post: "Beginning again is an act of love; start over as many times as you need."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"How accident prone can you possibly be?!" Felicity was ranting rampage again, and it was about me. It's mostly over something I can't control, she understood that and respected it... but it's really getting on her nerves lately and it seems like she might snap any second. Felicity's dark brown hair bounces with her as she animatedly expresses her concern. I frown at this, staying silent until she finally took a breath.

"I'm sorry-" Felicity cuts me off "No. You can't apologize because of something you can't control. Ollie, we're going to go see my grandma. She'll know how to fix this." I scramble away from her attempted grasp on my wrist. "NO WAY! That lady is crazy and senile." Her icy blue eyes pierce my very soul, "I'm just trying to help you Oleander. Why must you be so resistant towards her?" Felicity's voice was stern but full of anguish. I cross my arms to make them stop shaking and I look away. "She cursed me to be this way."

"She gave you medicine."

"She gave me a potion because she's a WITCH."

"You mean she gave you a concoction because she's an herbalist?"

I roll my eyes, "Whatever you want to call it. I'm. Not. Going." I stomp on the floor like a toddler who's been refused cookies. "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!" She tilts her head to the side and grins. "Want me to tell Alan about you and your little crush-" The second Felicity said that I was already out the door. She chuckles and follows me from behind, smirking. "You really have it bad for him, huh?" In my overwhelming flustered state, I gently push her away. "Shut up..."

----------------------------------------------------------------

As we make our way to Felicity's grandma's house, we take a shortcut through The Plaza. "Actually, come to think of it, it's my grandma's birthday today. Maybe you should get her a gift, just to be on the safe side after what you did to repay her generosity." She quips and I groan. "FINE. But only so I won't be double hexed. What would she like, anyways?" I ask, glancing at Felicity. "She really like birds. Maybe we could get her a conure, or a parakeet, or maybe a PARROT-" I cut her off "A conure would work. It was screech at her until she's deaf." Felicity gasps at my dark response. "Ollie, she's already losing her hearing. Don't be so insensitive like that!" She punches me in the shoulder, and I shrug. "Would you like me to lie to you? To make you feel better?" Felicity stutters, "N-no but... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Quote from Bambi." I shake my head, "Whatever, let's just go get the stupid bird."

----------------------------------------------------------------

While Felicity was looking at different conures, and researching certain supplies for them, I was staring at a Siamese cat named Ninja. Its fur reminded me of Alan's hair. Deep brown roots but bleached blonde. I blush at the resemblance and then I feel a tap on my shoulder. I spin around, to see none other than Alan. I recoil back, slamming myself into the wall and his eyes widen. "Are you okay, Ollie?" He puts his hand out to help me up and I take it. His skin is softer than I thought, which is odd because he's my school's basketball champion. "What are you doing here, anyways?" Alan asks me, raising an eyebrow. "I was going to ask you the same thing."

"My cousin needed a hand with unloading packages into the storage area." He explains, rather bluntly.

"Oh. Well, me and Felicity were going to buy a conure for her grandmother because it's her..." I clear my throat "...Spawn Day." Alan laughs at my dramatic-ness. "Also, I needed to get her the bird because we aren't exactly on good terms, and I need a favor from her." He nods, "Seems logical to me. Hey, um, since you're here, could you help me with this one package? It needs two people to lift it." I hide a blush, "S-sure! I'd be glad to help you out."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Felicity was looking for me. I can hear her calling my name, telling me that she bought the conure. Unfortunately, our pounding on the metal storage door wasn't loud enough for her to hear. Me and Alan had gotten locked into the stuffy storage room. "Doesn't this place have air conditioning?" I ask Alan, semi-curiously. "The store does, not this part though. Only on occasions, the workers come in here. So, it would be pointless if they were to put an AC in a storage room." He explains with as much energy as he can possibly muster. I wouldn't blame him. The heat from inside is overwhelming, kind of makes you feel fatigued just a bit. We sit in an awkward silence. "Hey Ollie?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you and Felicity...a couple or something?"

"What- no. Felicity is my best friend since childhood!"

"I just thought you two were, since you hang out with her all the time..." Alan's voice trails off and I could've sworn that I saw him blushing. I get a sudden burst of confidence in my chest.

"Alan, are you jealous of Felicity?"

He looks me, staring deep into my eyes. "Yes, I am." Alan crawls over to me, getting closer by the second. "W-what are you doing?" His face was just inches away from mine. "Is it alright if I kiss you?" I was paralyzed by his question, but I slowly nod my head. "Good answer." He grins and he kisses me. It was soft and gentle. He breaks the kiss, and the storage door opens. "I saw that." Felicity had her phone out, she had recorded the entire thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I found out later that day, that Felicity had planned everything. She wasn't going to take me to her grandma's which was a relief, but she is going to give her the birthday present because it actually is her birthday today. She knew that Alan was helping his cousin out at the pet store, and she had set me up. I had thanked her for that, and I promised Felicity that me and Alan will be dating soon.

"Good. Y'all had some super gay tension between each other, and I just couldn't take it anymore with all the mutual pinning."

May 06, 2022 01:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Octavian Adams
15:55 Aug 14, 2022

A very nice story, with lots of places to laugh and wonder what was coming next. I also have never heard the name 'Oleander', very interesting choice. Good story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
04:25 Jun 10, 2022

'ello, haven't read this yet but I definitely will as soon as I get the chance. Just wanted to pop in and comment on your bio lol You're part of Amity.......and yet you're a child of Ares.....😂😂😂😂😂 That strikes me as particularly funny because it's almost like they're opposites.

Reply

Ace Quinnton
16:14 Jun 10, 2022

I want peace, but I'm chaotic. That's the problem. I need someone who brings peace, to balance out my chaos.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
06:27 May 06, 2022

The beginning truly was beautiful, with the reference to that Instagram post, and as always I love the direction you've taken with the prompt. Very fresh and chaotic, with your characters and their conflict. "Y'all had some super gay tension.." AHEM story of my life :) loved this.

Reply

Ace Quinnton
14:08 May 06, 2022

Thank you. I wrote this on such short notice, but thanks to my hyper fixation, I FINISHED IT. And I'm so proud of myself. Also, fresh and chaotic character conflict is something I am a MASTER at. Because I get most of my ideas from what I get from real life with my very own comrades.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ace Quinnton
23:53 May 06, 2022

https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/h232gh/ THE BEGINNING OF MY VERY FIRST SERIES!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.