Was it a dream?

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story about a character experiencing déjà vu.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was a tiring day for Sam. She was getting ready for a boring day of meeting clients with cackling voices, impatient women and timid and diffident men. Her job as a psychiatrist was getting on her nerves. She thought her clients belonged to either of the two classes, highly talkative or aloof. The clients were always allowed to be unfettered. 


It gave more room for the clients to express their problems. This day, however, took her senses for a toll and she lost her patience. She needed a proper break, physically and mentally. She applied for a week's off and decided to head over to Twin islands, situated a few thousand miles away from her hometown. The cool breeze and sound of waves always seemed to have a calming effect on her. 


Twin islands were famous for its rich biodiversity. Animals and birds, which are often portrayed in the zoology books, were brought to life on this Island. One peculiar aspect of this Islands is that people stumble upon their "million-dollar idea", on this island. This Island had the power to turn conventional and feckless people into multibillionaires. Most of them got their million-dollar idea, just by wandering around the thick plains of forests in the Islands. Sam was not aware that such a myth existed around these breathtakingly beautiful islands, not yet.


Sipping a lemonade, Sam sighed. She was savoring the bounties of nature. The subtle sound of waves, mild and warm breeze and a burst of brilliant sunshine were giving her the needed therapy. She felt alive and joyous. She decided to take a stroll into the forests. Drifting around the forests she was smitten by a golden yellow primrose that captured her attention. Looking at it intently she moved forward to touch and smell it. While inhaling the warm and sensuous smell of the flower she felt herself to be in a state of trance. 


She found herself trapped in a state of imagination, where she meets a client who goes by the name Carlos. He claims that he will soon become the CEO of Garry and co. a leading conglomerate in Spain. She figures out that he hides something from her and prompts him to talk more. He keeps hesitating her questions claiming them to be ridiculous and stupid. Being used to timid people she prods him more for answers. Impatient with her unruly attitude he stomps off the room and proceeds to get out of her hospital. She follows him but couldn't find him in the crowds of people. She thought about the last question she asked him. It was about his family. She didn't want to bring that up but she was curious. She didn't realize it was the tipping point for him. In a moment, she was back in the forest. She couldn't process and remember what happened a few moments ago. She shook it off from her head as a lousy daydream. "I must be tired, from all the walking", she thought to herself.


That night she received a call from her assistant stating her that It was important for her to come back at the earliest since a VIP has scheduled an appointment with her the following week. It was Friday already and She was nearing the end of her trip. While boarding her return flight she saw a young man, probably around her age, he was handsome and tall. He sure is muscular she thought to herself. However, she thought that his face was similar. Trying hard to remember when and where she pondered and a lot and before she could recognize he disappeared. She tried searching for him but it was getting late for her flight. 


The next day she arrived at her hospital checking her clients' details for the upcoming week and on Wednesday the client was only specified as VIP without any details. She was amused. she inquired her assistant regarding this to which her assistant replied to her that the VIP would personally talk her regarding his issue and wants this appointment to be confidential. She also told her that he was from Spain. Suddenly she saw flashed images of the young lad and the man in her imagination. She assured herself that it could be just her wild imagination spinning weird tales in the brain.

Wednesday came and she was eager to find out who the client was. She was fidgeting with her pens and was arranging the desk for the nth time. Her assistant came and announced to her that the VIP has arrived. She looked up to see him, It was the same man from her imagination and the one whom she met at the airport. Shocked, she was spellbound. She couldn't believe her eyes, she winked her eyes, multiple times to make sure her eyesight was alright. Excusing herself from him, she rushed to the washroom, washed her eyes and returned back. She greeted and welcomed him.

He extended his hand to introduce himself as Carlos the CEO of Garry and Co. She felt she had already seen this conversation happening before. It was like a Dejavu. Nonetheless, she acted cool. During the conversation, she felt him shifting in the seat and feeling restless. He told her that he just wants to complete the therapy and head back soon. However, she was not quite happy with the way the conversation was heading. She suddenly remembered the way he acted when he was asked about his family. she probed him indirectly by asking whether he has any childhood trauma. His face went blank and was turning cold. She sensed it was not the right time to put him under scrutiny, she wanted to ease the atmosphere between them. She suddenly shifted the topic and asked him about his favorite songs and his hobbies. After a long conversation, he asked her regarding his treatment bill to which she replied that he needs to be continuously taking therapy sessions for a few months.

Though he was not convinced by her idea, he liked her. Just a bit. Maybe a bit he thought to himself. He decided to pay for his current session with an amount equivalent to her month's salary. she was surprised and confused. It was the first time she has ever received such a huge sum of money. He is going to be a difficult one to treat she thought to herself as she looked upon the dollar notes fluttering in the air.


February 28, 2020 16:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.