PASSAGE TO FREEDOM

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story in which someone finds a secret passageway.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

Nathan Kendell felt relaxed and comfortable preparing to leave for a speaking engagement in New York. The unthinkable happened ten years ago when his wife and infant son were kidnapped later killed in the home invasion. This tragedy was never far from his mind. He would look in on his sixteen year old daughter, Meghan before leaving on this business trip.

His daughter lay sleeping peacefully, her long blonde hair fanned across her lavender silk pillow. Her stereo surround sound system produced tunes by Selena Gomez. Melanie was passionate about designer clothing, for safety measures a secret door is within her walk in closet. In the secret panic room, dad has instructed his daughter that this hidden space is only for the purpose of notifying authorities, stay inside averaging an hour in length.

Installed at the gates entrance as well as the entry of this luxurious mansion is a noise release of gas of thick fog lasting 24 hours. Doors unlock with keyless system using facial recognition or voice recognition. Mary Everly was given the code, by her employer. As she is bringing in the groceries she failed to secure the gate when her car passed onto the property. Her one year old daughter was still in the car asleep while Mary put up the groceries. Baby Eden screamed, touched by unfamiliar hands, one armed man dressed completely in black threw the child in the back of the commercial van, from Charter Cable. The license plate shows CALIFORNIA, a teenage girl is already in the van shivers as the car seat hits hard in her right leg. Mary rushed through the kitchen toward the garage as her daughter continues to wail. In the doorway she is injected with a tranquilizer. Mary caught off guard screamed for help alerting Meghan to the danger of the masked intruder.

Upstairs, Meghan dashed to her walk-in closet, hiding in the panic room. She calls the authorities, recalling the time years ago when her mom and baby brother were home alone. Her dad upon entering their modest home sensed something was terribly wrong. He called out his wife's name, looked into the kitchen, a pot left boiling on the stove. Celery, and carrots lay on top of the counter with a paring knife in preparation for cooking. There was no trace of Angela or their son Connor and her purse, cell phone, and diaper bag on the nearby dining room table.

Meghan with shaking fingers, dialed law enforcement and in response they arrived in less than ten minutes. She was in the process of relating to the police that the new housekeeper and young child were coming into the home. Nathan stood in the doorway as he relived, that day ten years ago when he and Meghan had returned from a hobby store. Father and daughter embraced one another overwhelmed by their housekeeper and her child's kidnapping.

Mary awoke hours later, crawled across the van removed Eden from the car seat, holding her tightly in her arms. She whispers to the teenager beside her to ask if she is okay. Kelsie introduces herself, and shares with Mary that she is stiff and sore, sedentary due to being handcuffed to the side panel in the van. The captives felt the van slow to a stop. Voices were heard then the bright light flooded into the darkness. One man covered from head to toe, held a gun on them, while the other captor blindfolds the mother and teenage girl. Pushed and shoved headlong directly into another van. Voices ceased, vehicle doors slammed and wheels began to roll again. Whispers continued in the dark, occasionally a lullaby to soothe the troubled hearts, minds, and souls of those taken.

Nathan invites his mother to move in with them for an indefinite period of time. Her cheery disposition and enthusiasm for scrapbooking, reading, and long walks will be a comforting presence in their lives. Meghan needs the tenderness and unconditional love of her grandmother.. All of the security cameras and latest protection devices will not work without human diligence.

The next transfer exchange transpires at night. This evening they were brought to a beach house, Eden was ripped from Mary's arms. Mary and Kelsie were locked in a room with a view of the coastline. Immediately, it was explained to them what was expected. Labor trafficking to clean the rooms of a resort in close proximity. Additionally, paying clients would engage these females in escort services involving sexual privileges. Crying out, Mary was slapped, then her head pounded against the wall. Kelsie whimpered., covering her face with her hands. Human trafficking by definition is being taken by force, against a person's will.

A woman, approximately in her middle thirties, enters the room with her personal key. Rolling a stainless steel cartin the room, it provides fruit, pancakes, juice, water, and coffee. She tells them to eat quickly, it is the beginning of another work day. Her expression softens, looking at Mary with compassion, she says, "Don't worry about your little girl, she is fine." Mary's eyes follow her face and voice. Lastly, she tells Mary work will occupy most of your time. Mary clings to the hope of being reunited with Eden. The longing for freedom to live the lives they were meant to live.

Nathan greets his mom and daughter with kisses on their cheeks, and hugs. Meghan sets the dining room table with the good china plates. Grandma says, "Don't wait until a special occasion, to celebrate that life is good, do it now." The evening meal consists of steak, baked potato, tossed salad, with cheese cake for dessert. Afterwords, Dad reads the newspaper, Grandma is knitting a toboggan and scarf for Meghan. Meghan is listening to her favorite music wearing earbuds. In less than a month, everyone in this household has settled into a comfortable routine.

At the private high school that Meghan attends, the principal requested dad to be a guest speaker about safety, self-defense, and the danger of being targeted for kidnapping. Those heart breaking situations where sex trafficking occurs as the news rumored about the disappearance of Natalie Holloway. She traveled to Aruba with some classmates in celebration of graduation. Unchaperoned by adults she left a bar with two young men to never be seen again. Labor trafficking involves individuals having their passports kept from them. Locations changed frequently, little or no contact with other people. Human slavery is cruel in the modern world we live in.

All of us can be more aware of our surroundings. Go places using the buddy system. Putting into practice that there is strength in numbers. Take a self-defense class. Be observant out in public, dare to report suspicious behavior to someone in authority. Being sold for sex isn't only with girls, it includes boys. The demand is greater for younger and younger for sex workers. This happens in the United States. A lot of money is made for the traffickers/owners by following places such as sporting events, state fairs, or hotels. Some victims are runaways, homeless, or simply vulnerable. The Salvation Army, law enforcement, and Congress are searching for answers. Awareness, safe houses for groups of girls, self-esteem empowerment for sex trafficking survivors. Stolen lives given the chance of a new life when rescued.




February 28, 2020 03:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

05:14 Mar 08, 2020

I think it is important for us to know about human trafficking. To be aware and safe protecting the most vulnerable in our society, our elderly population and our youth.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.