The Wanting of Victorian Era

Submitted into Contest #61 in response to: Write about a character who’s obsessed with an era they never lived through.... view prompt

0 comments

Historical Fiction Teens & Young Adult

I looked through Pinterest, trying to find inspiration for my soon to be new outfit. I sighed as I saw an 1890's or Victorian era dress. The look of the dresses looked so beautiful. The dresses looked casual, but formal at the same time. Even how slim the women’s body looked because of the corset. Some of them wouldn’t be dresses, but a high waisted skirt that almost touches the ground with a simple colored long sleeve shirt that would be paired with a jacket and other accessories. The ball gowns were to die for. How the hoop crinoline would make the dress more big and wide, causing others to be pushed into others. I giggled at that. We can’t forget about the corsets, I try to take inspiration from that, but I’ll just look ridiculous if I do, so I take inspiration from the 1930s. A chic, but formal look. The dresses being a reasonable length and having cute designs. Also the skirts with the belt being seen with the buttons up shirt or just a plain colored t-shirt, so perfect. Even how the swimwear were high waisted shorts with a crop shirt. I wished they still have them because they're cute, but look especially comfortable to wear at a beach or pool if you're self-conscious. Then we can’t forget the high waisted jeans, pants or shorts. They created iconic outfits especially since the pants or trousers were wide at bottom and extra space in the leg area and looked so cute and comfy. I saved them to my pins board, wanting to recreate them.

I got out of bed and changed into high waisted mom jeans that I had to fix since they weren’t what I wanted. I wanted the 1940’s design, the width at the bottom and extra space in the leg space. Even when I rolled the pants sleeves up, it didn't look awkward, but nice and casual. I put on a black buttoned up long sleeve shirt, tucking it into my pants, but making sure some of the fabric was poking out and put my belt on, making sure it was tight on my waist. I put on some chunky white shoes and put on a watch. I checked my outfit in the mirror, making sure everything was in place. The hairstyles of the 1940’s were gorgeous, but it wouldn’t seem right to style my hair like that in this year, so I decided to twist a piece of my hair and pin it back. 

“Perfect,” I smiled at my complexion

I grabbed my bag and my notebook which held my drawings and clips of clothes paper. I left my room and walked to the front door.

“Mom, Dad. I’m going to the store, I'll be back,” I told them as I walked passed them

“Okay, but be careful,” My mom said

“Don’t worry. I always am,” I answered back and shut the door behind me

I got into my car and drove off to the mall. The mall was a good place to start at since there were different stores and styles. I strolled around, going into each shop, trying to find something that’ll catch my eye. I did find some clothes that fitted my style. Thank god I saved some of my money for today’s shopping. I left the mall and went to Target, Walmart, Kohls, Old Navy, etc. After that, I ended up at JoAnn’s. I told myself I wasn’t gonna come here, but I always surprise myself.

“Okay, Ana. You only need a few fabrics, sewing materials, and… basically everything,” I blew out a breath, but walked to the store, “Gotta get this to finish my outfit,”

I strolled around the store, grabbing the things I needed and quickly left as I couldn’t spend any more money.

--------

“Hmmm….,” I stared at the mannequin that wore the dress I was making 

I was making a dress similar to a Victorian styled dress. Trying to make it look modern, but still have its Victorian style and history incorporated in it. Or I could make it look the same and wear it for Halloween, but I’ll wear it for one day. I bit my lip as I thought. 

“Okay, I’ll wear it every Halloween. It’s not like I have 3 dresses already made..,” I looked at the corner of my room to see the dresses on the mannequin

I could also change my outfit on Halloween to try each one, but that’ll be too much work to take it off and put it back on. I let out a breath and went back to inspecting the fabric hanging on the mannequin, adding needles, holding fabric to it, measuring it, etc.

Victorian dresses always interested me, but not how women lived. I mean, they learned how to weave or make new clothes, cloths, or restitch it back together and embroider which simply amazed me. They also learned how to cook, clean, wash clothes and other household chores, but I really hated that some of them didn’t have a choice. Some had a choice to marry whoever or be what they wanted which was difficult while other women had to marry the man, their parents wanted them to marry. Also, women had to marry a man with a similar or higher title than them. For example, a daughter of a marquess would have to marry a duke or a marquess. Another example is a Queen looking for a husband, she would have to pick a prince or a duke, who is well known and has power. Even, their husbands control their lives which thankfully, some let their wives have their own freedom, but it was sad to see women have to live their lives in a sad marriage or life. 

If I lived in that era, I would be angry, but understand it's a part of the society and know there were people who fought for women’s rights and their future. I would want to live there to understand how it was and become a part of society. The balls, social gatherings, and clothes must have been grand and extravagant, but sometimes only it benefited the upper classes or people with a lot of money. Well, everyone had parties, but not as grand and extravagant to other people’s eyes, but to their eyes, it was the life of the party.

Another thing I loved about the Victorian era is Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. It was so amazing to see a young girl at the age of 18, become Queen when the previous males, her father and uncles died and she was next in line. How strong she was to rule an entire country while still learning, then get married and have a family with all that power and governing. It must have been hard for her, but she was a fighter and a great ruler. Also, there were many women novelists who stood out hearts with theirs like Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and so many more. 

I backed away from the mannequin and looked back at my sketch. Falling in love with it again. Just something about Victorian era fashion and outfits draws me in and I’m not mad about it.

October 02, 2020 19:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.