5 comments

Romance Mystery

They locked eyes from across the room, making her heart skip a beat. Even though it was a masquerade ball, Percy immediately recognized his smoky eyes, the heat of his gaze searing into her core and warming her skin in a fierce blush. The pounding of her heart quickened as he stalked toward her, navigating the crowd with ease as a panther prowling through the jungle to approach the prey locked within its sight.


Percy fanned herself frantically, willing herself to stay calm while simultaneously wondering how no one else reacted to the sight of this towering man making his way across the crowded dance floor. His presence commanded every ounce of her attention yet no one else seemed to notice as he fluidly moved through bodies that willingly shifted aside at the slightest nudge, laughing and commiserating among the camaraderie like nothing had happened.


As he approached, Percy noticed he was dressed in much finer clothes than she had ever seen him in. A sleek, black coat adorned with luxurious dark fur draped across his broad shoulders, the shining silver buttons of which seemed to barely contain his muscled physique. The mask itself was encrusted with black and silver jewels that formed a pattern akin to tendrils of smoke, which fanned out from its corner and shimmered to life as he moved under the ballroom lights. Once he finally stood before her, a mischievous smirk playing across his face as he held out a hand covered by a black velvet glove.

“Your Highness, would you care to honor me with a dance?” he asked, his voice low and gentle like the rumble of distant thunder.


Just who on Earth was this man?


The princess thought she had known him as James, a mere peasant hired as the garden staff of the royal palace. He had always been charming towards Percy, but he seemed restrained in their conversations as if he were holding something back – and now she knew why. He was completely mesmerizing, casting a spell of enchantment over the princess and the partygoers where he had total control. This was his stage now, everyone else becoming mere puppets to his show, including a princess trembling with fear and desire. James was not who he seemed, and the revelation that she faced a dangerous unknown terrified and enticed her all at once.


Despite the warning bells ringing in her head, Percy seemed to have lost control of her senses as her trembling hand moved of its own accord to place itself in his, accepting his offer.

“Good girl” he purred, the gaze in his eyes darkening as he pulled her to the dance floor. Percy would have admonished him on another day for his inappropriate address, but she could only stare at him dumbfounded as she followed him in a daze. She felt like a mouse that was paralyzed and being dragged into the open jaws of a snake, helpless to resist the charm of this dangerous man whose hungry gaze never once left hers.


Suddenly he yanked her arm outward, forcing the princess to collide with him and wrapped a sturdy arm around her waist to keep her close. Her heart raged furiously against her ribcage at the feel of his touch in a relentless rhythm that betrayed her desire – padum padum. Percy just barely registered the rising noise of the orchestra to signal the beginning of the dance, and her feet began to move to the memory of the steps. She could not help but indulge herself, taking a deep inhale with eyes fluttering closed in ecstasy as she took in his familiar scent of sage smoke, cloves and cypress, drawing her deeper into a hypnotic state.


“You look to be enjoying yourself, Your Highness.”

Percy’s eyes flew open at James’s observation, feeling sheepish for being so obvious about it. She looked up at his face, the world around them blurring as they spun across the floor, and although his face was stoic his eyes burned with yearning.

“You are an excellent dancer – a talent I was not aware you possessed.” Percy answered mildly, turning her head to avoid his eyes and attempting to change the subject. She caught a brief glimpse of her father, languishing on his throne in a drunken stupor and blissfully unaware of his daughter dancing with an unknown suitor. James leaned in close, his cool breath lightly brushing her cheek, making her shiver.

“Just as I was unaware that you are set to marry your fiancé tomorrow.” He whispered accusingly; his tone remained level but his grip on her hand tightened.


Percy flinched at his touch and his words. As James twirled her outward, she was happy to find the beady gaze of her intended was nowhere to be found, and then felt shamed by her sense of relief. Despite the fact the princess was dancing with another man at her own engagement ball, none of the guests seemed to pay them any mind. Percy was whirled back into the arms of her dance partner, her back to his chest as the locked hands and began to glide across the dance floor.


James’s lips brushed dangerously close to her neck, causing shivers to run down Percy’s spine once again.

“Tell me, princess, did you enjoy making a plaything out of me?” He asked innocently, his voice laced with biting bitterness.

“I-it’s not like that!” Percy gasped, both in shock of his forwardness and from effort in keeping time with the quick steps. “I did not intend for this engagement to play out so quickly. I hardly know him...”


The princess ruminated on her hasty nuptials arranged by the king and Duke von Pirithous, her soon-to-be husband. Percy could feel the bile rising in the back of her throat at the mere thought of calling the duke her husband. They only met once for tea just last week, and while he was a perfect gentleman Percy was unsettled by him. Peter, as he wished to be called by her, smiled so widely and his dark eyes were much too empty, as if he were putting on an act. Before she could formally reject him, her father announced they would be wed and now suddenly came the night before she would be expected to take her vows to become Duchess von Pirithous. It all happened so fast, and in her despair, she found her comfort in the arms of a particular garden staff, who had shown up tonight to heighten her anxieties.


James twirled her out and back in again, his eyes shining brightly from behind his mask as he gripped the princess possessively by her waist. Something about the way he pressed his body to hers made Percy’s composure crumble like dust.

“I-I do not love him.” Percy blurted her thoughts aloud and was appalled by her sudden declaration. She didn’t intend to say that to him. What has come over me? She thought to herself.

“I did not think you were.” James smirked at her response as they glided across the dance floor once more. His eyes suddenly darkened as his gaze shifted to her lips.

“No woman who claims to be in love with their fiancé would moan so loudly for another man, as you did for me the other night.”


Hot, blistering shame rose upon Percy’s face, her jaw dropping at his vulgar audacity. She thought about slapping him until he released her and took a few steps back. It was then she was reminded that they were in the center of the dance floor, and the part of the waltz where the women and men danced separately in groups had come. She was almost too preoccupied with the memories that flooded her mind to note the change in the tempo – memories of their tryst a few nights ago, when she learned of her engagement. In her defense, Percy didn’t go to the greenhouse to purposely seek out James; she only wanted to be alone to cry in peace and he happened to be there. She had lost her footing over a fallen rake, and he caught her fall, when she felt this odd sensation wash over her as her fingers delicately grazed his broad, muscled chest. She found herself admiring his charming, crooked smirk when suddenly their lips met. Her hands greedily explored the bare skin under his shirt while he ripped away her dress…and the rest Percy dared not think of in this moment, fearing someone may find out simply by observing the look on her face, despite it being covered by a lavish mask.


Percy joined the circle of maidens taking part in the dance and fell in line half-heartedly with the steps as she quickly glanced about at their faces, looking for any indication that they had heard her. The princess was startled to find that they were all expressionless – no hint of smiles, frowns, or any emotion adorning their faces, and their eyes emitted a strange, blurry white glow. Percy looked around and realized that everyone in the room had the same slack face, like zombies that hardly moved.


Just what on earth was going on?


The ladies all formed a line across from their partners, and Percy caught a glimpse of James. They seemed to be the only lucid people in the ballroom, and his eyes were focused intently on her. Percy began to weave her way through the gently swaying bodies of ladies in rhythmic steps and James followed in his own weave of bodies, pursuing her as a predator slinking around trees to descend upon its prey. His eyes glittered ravenously, licking his lips as he approached the end of the line to take Percy’s hand in dancing once more. She wanted to run yet the princess could not cease dancing, as if she were pulled by invisible strings dragging her through the motions. Although she wasn’t sure how it was possible, Percy was certain that James was the one behind all of this.


Once they were close enough, they raised both their palms parallel to each other, as if holding an invisible wall between them. Their hands slowly came together, and his touch felt electric to Percy, tingling against her skin and pulsating its way to her already fluttering heart. She felt his gaze soften as he wrapped his arms possessively around her again, except this time it felt more tender and caring – the same way he held her that night in the greenhouse. Percy felt herself fighting the urge to melt into him; despite her feelings, she could not forget that something else was at play here.

“Do not be frightened, Percy. I did not come here to harm you or bring scandal to your name.” James said softly, as if he read her thoughts.

“Pray tell, then, why are you hear?” She spat the question out harsher than she intended, however her nerves were becoming frazzled with this encounter.


Instead of getting upset, James simply smiled and positioned himself to dip her downward.

“To offer you a way out.” He said plainly, and leaned Percy back. As she hung in the balance, a million thoughts seemed to race through her mind all at once. It was not the lewd rendezvous with James that led her to feel the most shame, even though it should. It was pouring out her deepest desire to him so easily just before. She told him how she longed to be free to travel the world and live on her own terms. She wanted to be an artist and paint far-away landscapes of arid deserts and majestic mountains, not to toil away as someone’s wife in a loveless marriage. She almost resigned herself to the fate of an arranged marriage, and now here came this handsome stranger offering her a way out. It seemed too good to be true.


James lifted Percy back up to a stand, their faces so close that their noses touched, and Percy thought he might kiss her. She suddenly realized the room fell into an eerie silence and looked around. The music ceased playing, the orchestra keeping their bows hovered over the strings without moving, and everyone around them stood like statues. The only sound Percy could hear was her quaking breath, and then James gently grabbed her chin to look back at him. His eyes looked like swirling smoke as they regarded her, and the sight pulled her into a trance where she couldn't look away.

“If you truly wish for freedom, I know how you can get there. Meet me in the garden as soon as you can get away.” He paused briefly to boldly kiss her, his soft lips causing Percy’s knees to buckle. She managed to pull away, slightly breathless, and saw his eyes glitter with mischief once again.

“But do not keep me waiting for long. Otherwise, I might get impatient and return to fetch you myself.” He gave her a wolfish smile and winked at her, before lightly kissing her hand.


Just as quickly as he kissed her, James was gone, and life had returned to the room. Voices boomed and laughter shrieked across the room in a storm of noise, and Percy was left trembling on the dance floor as the music whirred back up again to start a new waltz. She became cognizant of the puzzled stare of dancers moving awkwardly around her as she stood awestruck in the middle of the dance floor and excused herself to the refreshments table. The more lively, unconcerned faces she came across, the more she reeled from the disconcerting experience of dancing among the living dead. She tried grasping at any possible, reasonable explanation behind what happened, finding none the further she journeyed. Percy resolved to find a strong drink and forget the whole ordeal, including James’s supposed offer – she was wise enough to know it was likely another attempt to drag her into another scandalous tryst.


Before Percy approached the table she caught sight of Duke von Pirithous, his laughter sounding hollow and forced as he conversed with lords and counts. She thought about marrying him tomorrow and felt sick to her stomach, realizing she could not fathom forcing herself to live the rest of her life with him. Thoughts of James seeped back into her mind, and she was overcome with an itching curiosity to find out who – or what – he really was. Besides, even if there is no plan, at least I can have one last evening of revelry before becoming shackled in matrimony, she thought to herself, mostly to dampen the dangerous feeling taking root and growing in her heart. Hope was a fickle and cruel thing to feel, especially as a princess of her station


Taking a deep breath, Percy turned on her heel and made her way to the open doors of the terrace, navigating discreetly around groups of society members embedded deep in their own conversations. Looking around to ensure no one was watching, she slipped away under the cloak of darkness, the moon illuminating her path to the palace gardens.

June 14, 2024 05:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Mary Bendickson
05:21 Jun 14, 2024

Sneaky. Thanks for liking 'My Fair Lady'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hazel Ide
05:07 Jun 15, 2024

Really nice descriptive writing.

Reply

20:54 Jun 15, 2024

Thank you Hazel! I'm glad you enjoyed it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:58 Jun 14, 2024

Beautifully detailed with great pacing. Lovely work !

Reply

18:12 Jun 14, 2024

Thank you Alexis!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.