0 comments

Holiday

There it stood, on the dusty dirt road just outside of Holland, Texas.  I was there on a dare that I could not spend Halloween night in the old Holland Hotel.  Actually when I pulled up it just after dark.  I have a great imagination but this place made The Bates Hotel look like a mansion.  'Well,' I told myself no time like the present to grab my back pack and go inside.  The hotel was once a mansion belonging to a cattle baron by the name of Rutger Hammerman, and through a progression of owns was finally the Holland.

I walked inside and looked around, there hidden in the corner was a crusty looking elderly gentleman, cleaning his nails with a jackknife and flicking the dirt from his nails unto the not so clean floor.  He had on a maroon shirt and blue jeans that no doubt could stand up on their own from lack of washing them.  His boots were scuffed and unpolished.  He walked toward the counter, his gray hair hanging limply down to his shoulders.  I was already thinking I never should have taken this dare to begin with.  I asked him if Megan Malloy had arrived.  He replied to that Texas twang: "Yep, she is down the hall in room seven, your room is across the hall number eight.  Just so you ain't to confused I am the owner of this here establishment and Meg is my granddaughter.

I trudged up the winding staircase, each creak of my step gave me the creeps.  Everything seemed to creak in this place the doors the floor boards the stairs, I was ready to leave when I heard the door to Meg's room open.  There she stood her long black hair, pale skin and illuminous brown eyes.  She welcomed me.  Helped me get settled in for the night.  Some night, the coyotes were already howling, I hoped I would not be their breakfast.  Meggie and I sat in front of the fireplace located in the lobby.  Ten o'clock came and I was ready to turn in.

I was however unprepared for the night's events.  I laid my weary head on the satin pillow case of all things.  I just began to doze when I heard a shuffling like something being dragged.  A spectral figure appeared before my very eyes.  She appeared to be carrying a huge carving knife.  That was enough for me!  I jumped out of bed and ran across to Meg's room.  I pounded on her door, screaming at the top of my lungs.  She was already asleep.  She opened her door and dragged me in.  She told me that sometimes these spectral figures appear in the rooms.  The one had "seen" was Miss Mary Fletcher, a beautiful young woman who was engaged to marry Rutger Hammerman.  All I could get out of my mouth was: "that's nice".  Meg smiled at me.

Sleep was out of the question at this point so I venture downstairs to the library.  I had noticed the door open earlier.  Suddenly a spectral figure appeared, in a long white flowing gown, her hair white as a snowy egret.  She came toward me.  That was all I needed.  I turned to run for the door.  The door slammed shut. She approached me, a smile on her face and fangs in her mouth!  I attempted to run once again but the spector grabbed me.  I looked into Meg's face as the fangs that I was certain would penetrate my neck.  They didn't, the spector began to giggle as I realized it was Meg, the fangs were wax.

She said laughing:

"Hello, my name is Draculina, welcome to my humble abode.






November 01, 2019 21:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.