Kill Your Billy

Written in response to: Make a mysterious message an important part of your story.... view prompt

11 comments

American Coming of Age Friendship


Billy Brown was known for his extensive knowledge. Billy was well aware of this fact, as was the entire town. Therefore, when a young child of merely seven years old dared to challenge him, he was caught off guard and found himself uncertain about his next course of action. He retreated into a shell of his former self, finding himself unable to navigate through the demands of everyday life. As a result, he died. This is the story of Mandy and Billy.


He had never been pushed so severely before, to the point where he became disoriented and clueless about even the most basic facts. He had enough knowledge to identify the young child, Mandy, as a potential threat, although it was significant enough to cause a commotion in his already troubled mind. Never having been challenged before, Billy curled up in the foetal position, knowing that step two was only a matter of time for him, he shuddered at the thought. Billy is a bully of the worst kind. You see, dear reader, Billy is in your mind. The hater, the doubter, and the instigator of all that contributes to your anxiety and nausea, as well as a host of other unpleasant emotions that stop you from doing things you would like to do.


Following being in the foetal position, Billy engaged in a repetitive rocking motion, an incessant back-and-forth movement. This rocking persisted alongside the continuous crying, which seemed to have no end in sight for him. The reason behind this unceasing weeping is the mistreatment Billy had endured. Which made it difficult for Billy to come to terms with his unfortunate circumstance.


A brave young woman, Mandy, dared to defy convention in her pursuit of the greater good, even if it meant killing someone. She possessed a combination of bravery, youthfulness, and naiveté. Her strategy is worth considering, as she possesses the authority to represent the entire human race. She was strong enough to overpower Billy because she didn’t know she couldn’t. She was too young to have those self-doubts and bad thoughts that cause negativity. She didn't allow Billy in. She was confident and strong. And everyone knows what happens to a bully when confronted with a confident and strong individual; the bully turns into a meek and mild child that's hiding inside that Bully, wanting to be loved.


Billy was always the one who struck first, so he could control the narrative and take over everyone’s emotions and thoughts. That way, he ensured that he was never challenged. However, things were changing as a diverse young girl took over. This shift was so significant that even Billy, for a fleeting moment, started to believe that Mandy was right: she needed to be challenged, but was Billy strong enough? Until Mandy shattered his life, he was prepared to use any of the necessary tactics in his bag of tricks.


---What is it about this guy that captures everyone's attention? May I ask about his name for you? Or maybe it's a her or a they? What is the reason for any of them to instruct others on what actions to take in their lives? I can't help but notice the look on your face as you read this as if I am talking nonsense. Do you not realize that this is how oppressors operate? They, (Billy, Maxine, George, or whatever you name them) will always approach situations from a standpoint of fear and power. It is crucial not to let anyone seize control of your mind and manipulate your thoughts. You are not a sheep. As a thinking human being, you possess the ability to contemplate and reason. So stand up to that bully in your head.


Everyone should be free to make their own choices without being dictated to about what they should or should not do by a bully in their head.---


Mandy blew the situation with Billy out of the water. She could have liked Billy and let him win, but she was a fighter.


Mandy is a young beauty with blonde hair, captivating blue eyes, and a round face adorned with high cheekbones. She exudes an air of unassuming innocence to the bystanders in a crowd. On the other hand, Mandy wasn't going to let Billy's will sway her. She found him neither terrifying nor attractive but rather someone to be ignored.


Billy, who had brown hair, chestnut-brown eyes, and a moustache, was slightly taller than Mandy. With his lengthy face and polished hands, he possessed the air of an educated soul rather than that of an ordinary John Q. public worker.


Finally, on one Saturday, they had the long-awaited opportunity to meet at the bustling outdoor market. From a long distance away, Mandy could see him. Mandy had done her homework; she was ready for him. Mandy walked into a crowd of people, and that's when Billy started on her.


"Billy, what do you want?"


"Mandy. It is always a delight." He stated. 


"Well, that may be, but whatever it is you are selling, I've no interest, and I'm not listening to you. So go away, would you." She asserted herself.


Mandy, I'm not here to sell anything. I came specifically for you this time." As he gazed into her eyes, a connection formed between them.


She asked, "What? What exactly do you mean?"


"Now it's your turn." He managed to captivate her, drawing her in with his charm and allure.


"I have no intention of leaving with you or allowing you to take me anywhere."


Knowing that she wouldn't go far before she'd be back, he let her walk away. After just an hour, she returned, fully prepared to allow Billy to think he was taking her life. But there are always two possibilities to consider: either she took her life or she killed Billy. She opted to kill Billy.


To Billy's surprise, Mandy was the person who was strong enough to stand before him, not as a little girl but now as a grown-up. With one swift and decisive move, she effortlessly took Billy out, leaving no room for any competition or fight. She didn't let him in. She cleared her head of all of those thoughts of negativity that were trying to root themselves in her brain.


Billy, completely caught off guard, had no clue what had just hit him. He consequently died.


From Mandy, we learn that if you kill Billy, all of your negative feelings—your anger, depression, and sadness—will disappear, and you can manage life better. You will have a positive life full of laughter and good times ahead of you.


Be a Mandy! Kill your Billy!



August 08, 2023 20:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Jarrel Jefferson
13:44 Aug 18, 2023

The title is eye-catching. I like the moral lesson of not letting negativity win. I also like how Mandy and Billy are theoretical people instead of actual people, and that the narrator breaks the fourth wall at one point. There’s a lot of experimentation here and I dig it. The story over feels like I’m being told that Billy is bad and Mandy is good. I wish there were specific examples to emphasize your point. I thought your characters would be similar to Billy and Mandy from the old Cartoon Network show The Grim Adventures of Billy and Man...

Reply

Lily Finch
16:10 Aug 18, 2023

Hi Jarrel, thanks for reading and commenting. I wanted this to have the story be a message but wrap it around a story. So thank you for noticing and saying so. I could have given examples shoot. I don't know what I was thinking. Darn. But I hope the message was clear. I never know how these unreal character stories (experimental) work out. So I appreciate your time and feedback. Thanks again, LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:50 Aug 16, 2023

Nice, Lily. Getting rid of the potential bully in your head, as well as real bullies, is done the same way: stand up to them. Very good message, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Lily Finch
14:17 Aug 16, 2023

Thanks, Del. You must be bored. You've read every one of my pieces here. I swear. You must be a glutton for punishment. Thanks for reading and commenting. I like this one because I tried to write the bully as a character when it was actually only a character in her head. It seemed like a good idea at the time. On paper, it is much more difficult to write than it would be in a movie or television show. But you are correct we stand up and confront them. Coming from a non-confrontational person in my private life. As a professional that is ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
13:54 Aug 11, 2023

I'm listening this in audio on a long road trip. Idk. It was pretty captivating until the little girl suddenly becomes an adult? That part seems to not be as smooth as the rest. Okay the writing is good. The premise is fine. You make the premise better by good pacing.

Reply

Lily Finch
16:57 Aug 11, 2023

What happens at that point that makes it sound crappy? LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
11:44 Aug 09, 2023

A very thought provoking and self aware story, we all have that inner voice, our Billy, but realising what it is can be enough to quiet it. A strong tale of strength and over coming your inner doubts. Well done.

Reply

Lily Finch
14:04 Aug 09, 2023

Thanks. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
21:04 Aug 08, 2023

A narrator's interjection into the story with --- before and after. In the near middle of the story. Tell me if it worked, please. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
23:07 Aug 08, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Lily Finch
23:36 Aug 08, 2023

Thanks. I appreciate you reading Joe. And your comments. They mean a great deal to me. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.