4 comments

Crime Horror Suspense

"I-I can't go back... I-I can't." Maddie said crying in my arms.

"It's okay I won't let them take you again." I said holding her tight. If you're reading this... My name is Alexis Vence. I am 21 years old and I was kidnapped December 23, 2020 while out at the club with friends. I don't know how long I've been here but it feels like forever. A few days ago a girl name Maddie Taylor's was thrown in here. She's only 15. She doesn't belong in this painful dark place.

"They'll hurt you." She said.

"It's okay. Just try to get some sleep babes. Everything will be okay." I said running my hands through her head to try to keep her as calm as I can. She finally fell asleep and I slowly moved from under her and went to the door. The man that kidnapped me is weak. His name is Matthew. He regretted what he did because he apologized the whole time and said he wished he didn't have to do what he did. I've been slowly trying to get into his head to try to get him on my side and open the door to give me a chance to run. I saw him walking down the hall checking all the rooms then he finally got to mine. "Is she breathing?" He asked.

"What does it matter? She won't be for long in here." I said.

"Is she or not?" He asked.

"Ya know she's only 15 right? She only has herself. She lost her parents in an accident and she's an only child." I said. "She was a straight A student in her school and she plays sports and she was going to enter an art competition that would give her enough money to pay for two years in a prestigious college." I said.

"Look... If it was up to me none of you would be here but I don't so is she alive or not." He said.

"She's still alive, no thanks to you." I said. He was about to walk away but I reached out through the little slot in the door and grabbed his arm praying he's as weak as I think he is and he won't kill me right now. "Don't let them take her. She's just a young girl trying to live." I said. He looked at my pleading eyes for a few seconds then walked away. Let's hope this works.

***A while passes***

I was braiding Maddie's hair when we heard a click at hour door.

"I don't want to go!" Maddie screamed scared. I got in front of her as the door opened.

"Aw look at her being a protector." The guy named Daniel said. "Move or you get hit." He said holding up a cord. But I didn't move. I can't let them do this to Maddie. If she gets out she'll be to damaged. I've accepted my fate but she is only a kid.

"Hey Daniel take the older girl." Matthew said. "She can take more than the younger one." He said. Yes he's helping me save her. "You don't want your little toy to live a lit longer?" He said which pissed me off but it's helping.

"Grab the protector." Daniel said to the three guys behind him. They bring extra people when they come to my room because I always put up a fight when their taking Maddie or me. They all came in and I went without a fight this time. It'll only make it better for Maddie if I go without a fight.

***After the torture session***

"I'll take her back." Matthew said. He threw me over his shoulder while I was laying motionless. "I'm sorry... They've told me to separate you and that Maddie girl. They say it's to make it easier so there's no trouble when they come because you know they can get to the girl easier." He said. He set me down and turned around to walk away and I took my chance and lunged at him. I know he didn't want to be here but I don't want to be here more than him. I want out worse than he does. I sliced both his ankles making him fall over and I stuffed my sock in his mouth and held it and stabbed him in the shoulder with a knife I managed to take from the torture room while they weren't looking.

"This is for kidnapping me." I said punching him as hard as I can. But he didn't knock out. "This is for Maddie." I said punching him even harder and he went out. I quickly took my long sleeved shirt off and tied his feet together then I took the sock out his mouth and put it on his hands. Then I put my other sock on his other hand and then took his handcuffs and put them on his wrist. Then I grabbed the thin sheet they give us and I covered his mouth and tied it so tight that if he even tried to talk it would hurt. I took his keys and peaked out the room. He's the only one that monitors this hall. It took about thirty minutes before I hear another door opening to grab another girl. I've been here for about ten already. I have fifteen to get as many girls as I can out. There is a window that leads up to the top, one man usually stand guard just in case a girl tries to escape. He usually yells a code whistle if something happens. "I'm coming Maddie." I said closing and locking the room door. I locked the slot to the door so he can't look out the door. And I started opening the first door. "Maddie?" I said. Three girls were in the corner. "I am setting you free. Help the weakest to stand." I said. I opened the next door and the next and the next. I opened all the doors and I opened the last door. "Maddie?!" I said opening the door. She looked up at me and got up with the help of the wall. I ran over and helped her out the room. "We only have ten minutes before they come back down for another girl. Everyone there is a window this way." I said. We made it to the window and I helped the fifteen girls that were down here I heard yelling in the distance and I peaked and the men were angry and coming down the hall. "Go Maddie." I said pushing her while the other girls on the other side helped me by pulling her. The yelling was getting closer and I began to panic. I got into the window and out quickly and the girls pulled me hard through the window. I closed it quickly and locked it from the outside. I lead the girls through the house like I'd remembered the last time I tried to escape. I told them to wait for a second while I took out the guy in the front. Luckily he was facing away from me. I stabbed him in the neck repeatedly while covering his mouth tightly then stabbed him in the chest. I took his gun and told the girls to come on. We ran out the door and two men were standing there. I knew once I pulled the trigger who knows how many people would've came. But I did and we all made a run for it into the forest and we stayed together. We ran till we saw a road and we flagged someone down who called the police. We could finally relax.

***Two years later***

"Make sure you have your books and just in case your pencil breaks, make sure you-"

"I know, I know." She said.

"Okay. And if you have any problems just call me and-"

"Lex." She said putting her hand on mine. "Your doing it again. Don't worry, Kenneth will be home in a little bit from the store and he'll take you to your meeting and catch up with the other girls." She said then her friend from last year came out the building and waved. I waved to her and she ran over.

"Your right... I'm sorry." I said. "Have a great day at school beautiful." I said. "Hi Raven." I said to her friend.

"Hey Ms. Vence." Raven said.

"Alright Ms. President of the Creative Arts Club, get on inside so you can hang with friends before class." I said. She got out and hugged Raven.

"And Maddie... I love you." I said.

"Love you too." She said.

"Your mom is awesome." Raven said as they walked away.

"She's a hero." Maddie said as they walked inside.

January 29, 2021 22:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Carrie O'Keefe
21:22 Feb 10, 2021

I liked the way it started as well as the ending. Good job!

Reply

Jellybean Weirdo
21:33 Feb 10, 2021

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:27 Feb 07, 2021

I love the ending! But, I wished you showed Maddie and the main character’s background through dialogue or actions instead of just telling us. I can wait to read more of your stories!

Reply

Jellybean Weirdo
03:37 Feb 07, 2021

I will keep that and mind. I'm so use to writing in pov instead of dialogue, I'm not sure how to format it correctly. I'm still young so I'm sure I'll learn through time! Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.