Christmas Dinner

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write about a character preparing a meal for somebody else.... view prompt

1 comment

Christmas Christian Holiday

It was two weeks away until Christmas (2020). I told my step-dad that we are spending Christmas with him and mom.

     A week until Christmas, Franny texted me. She lives a hour away.

Franny: IDK(I don't know) if there's a point in you and Jim coming up on Saturday next week. Cause I have to work 2-10pm and I'll probably have to work on Saturday too. So, if hes's leaving Sunday, I just see no point unless you want to visit the kids cause I won't be there.(Dec.16, 2:18pm)

Me: I'm going to ask Dad if we can celebrate Christmas early so that we can go there on Christmas.

Franny: Ok. It's up to Jim too.

Me: Okay. 

     I asked Jim and he texted me yes. I texted Franny.

Me: Okay, as long as it doesn't snow.

Franny: Ok.

     That day we(Ann & I) went to visit my mom and step-dad. 

Me:So, Franny only has Christmas off, we thought that we can celebrate Christmas before or after. 

Step-Dad: I guess we can celebrate the day after Christmas.

Me: Okay. I will buy most everything we need.

I thought: Now, I need to text Franny.

    I texted Franny.

Me: Dad said we can but be back the next day.

Me: Ann is also coming. I want to make the turkey.

Franny: Jim said he's not coming back home on Saturday. Probably, won't be back til Sunday.

Me: Okay.

I thought: Now I have to ask him to celebrate Christmas the day before.

    I waited for him to come out into kitchen. He came out.

Me: So, we won't be back the day after Christmas, we can celebrate the before Christmas.

Step-dad: Fine! But let everyone know that next Christmas, you're gonna have Christmas with us.

     During the few days, I bought two turkeys, bacon(turkey bacon), corn, green beans, stuffing, butter, Instant Mashed potatoes, whole garlic, parsley, lemon, ice cream(for the eggnog),and cream pies. I dropped off the one of the turkey, at Franny's. 

     It's before Christmas Eve(Dec.23), my step-dad called. It was 10 or 11pm.

Step-dad: You can't go to Franny's for Christmas. You're gonna have Christmas with us. You can go to Franny's the day after.

Me: Franny doesn't have to work on Christmas. Christmas is the only day we can spend time with her.

Step-dad: You said you're going to spend Christmas with us, the only reason why now you not is because of your uncle.

Me: No, Franny only has Christmas off.

Step-dad: Fine! I'm not going to celebrate Christmas then. It would be another day. So don't bring anything.

    He hanged up the phone.

    It's the next day. It's Christmas eve. We got ready to visited my mom and step-dad to celebrate Christmas.

Me: I'm bringing everything that we planned.

Ann: He said don't.

Me: But what if he changes his mind, everything will be there.

Ann: Okay.

      Jim texted me.

Jim: What you guys doing? (9:09Am)

Me: Just wrapping things up. Getting ready to leave. Making sure I have everything.

Jim: Ok. Let me know when you are ready.

Me: We're ready. (9:28pm)

Jim: Coming.

Jim: I'm at Jimmy's. Be there soon.

Me: Ok.

Jim: I'm here. Put your cat in the room. (10:00Am)

     He came and helped with everything that was heavy. He dropped us off. We knocked on the door. He opened the door.

Step-dad: Why do you have all that food? I told you, we ain't celebrating Christmas.

I thought: He didn't changed his mind. Maybe when it's time to cook dinner he will. 

     We stayed in the livingroom watched TV with my mom.

God: Maybe you should talk to him.

Me: I don't know what to talk about.

    At 4 something, he made a regular meal. We ate and then I texted Jim.

Me: Can you get us?

Jim: I'm at Wal-mart. Jr(Lee) had to get phone card.(5:16pm)

Jim: I'm here.(5:52)

     He came and we went to dropped off the food at my house. Than dropped off Lee at his daughter's. We reached Franny's. She was working. She came home at 10. The kids went to sleep and we put the Christmas presents under the tree.

    It's in the morning and it's time to Opening presents. (11:44Am)

    Everyone opened their presents. (12:47Pm)

Me: Should I cook the turkey?

Jim: Yea.

    I took out the butter and things from the fridge.

Ann: I will cut the onions and the lemon.

Me: Okay.

    I put parsley, puree clove of garlic, and lemon zest in the butter. I mixed it up. Then we (Ann & I) put the butter underneath the skin and on top of it. Ann put four halves of onions and a lemon in the turkey. Then we put the bacon on the breast so that it won't dry out. This is Chef Ramsey recipe.

    Franny and the kids were playing the wii together.

    We got the mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, eggnog, and stuffing ready.

    I'm gonna say about five or six hour later, the turkey was done.

Ann: I'm going to make the gravy.

    She took the bacon, onions, one turkey leg and put it in a frying pan with some juice from the turkey. She cut up the bacon and onions into little pieces. She kept stirring until it thickens. 

Ann: It's ready.

Jim: The food is done! 

     Everyone grabbed a plate and ate. I thought it was delicious. Then we had dessert. Everyone was full. 

      We played games and went to sleep.

     It's the next day and I was feeling guilty for not celebrating Christmas with my parents.

Demon: You are a bad daughter.

Demon: You should have never went there.

     So many things that made me feel horrible about myself.

God: You are not a bad daughter.

God: You did everything you could to celebrate Christmas with them both. He choose not to. It's not your fault.

     God gave me that confidence, even when anyone tries to guilt and shame me, I will know that I did my best to make it the best for everyone. In God's eyes, my best is good enough.

    At first it turned out bad but in the end it turned out good.

     Thank you God for those encouraging words.

July 01, 2021 17:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mellanie Crouell
09:45 Jul 06, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.