13 comments

Fiction Funny

It's time, isn't it?

All my friends are paired. Most of them married, some seriously committed. They all hang out together. Oh, they're sweet and invite me along. But I'm the odd wheel. Tolerated at best, pitied most likely.


Sigh.


Taylor and I have been dating for ... Yes, it's been three years. It was February, yes, three years ago, when I met him. How? Oh, it was in the produce section of the market. Something about how can you tell when a melon is ripe. He was cute about it. All shy and smiles. Can I buy you a coffee? he asked. I'll be honest, I hate Starbucks. Worst coffee ever. Burnt so you have to put all sort of expensive other stuff in it to make it drinkable.


Never mind, back to Taylor. He was charming and asked for my phone number. Called me the next day. We met up for a drink and had a few other dates. By the end of two weeks, we were spending most of our together time at my place. He told me that my place felt so much cozier, homier. I have offered many times to help him decorate his place. Nah, don't bother it's just temporary, he'd say.


He has to work every other weekend and many nights. I knew lawyers work long hours, but he really is kept on his toes.

So often he's tired when he gets to my place. Just wants to watch whatever game is on. Yeah, I wish he was more ... what's the word? Fierce? Passionate? You know, act as if he can't wait to get his hands on me. But I guess that's just in books, right? I'm asking too much.


I mean I'm no great prize. If I was, wouldn't I have already been snatched up, at twenty-nine? So, yeah, I forgive him. I'm grateful that he wants to spend time with me and I go get him another beer, the imported brand he likes for me to keep stocked.


He's never met my friends. Whenever they have a party, or ask me to come out to dinner, he has to work. So, I haven't bothered to tell them. I may have told Beth, she's my best friend, from way back.


Yesterday, Taylor called, told me he wants to take me out to lunch, today. He said he'd rather take me out to dinner, but he has to work late. So, would I come to lunch? can I get away?


Of course, I can.


I change out of my nurse's uniform and make a pirouette for Mrs. Franken. I'm wearing my black pencil skirt, red silk-like blouse and my red heels. She claps and smiles and tells me I look divine and assures me that she'll be fine. Have a good time.


I get to the restaurant on time, but Taylor is not there yet. They do not have a reservation for him. So, I wait near the hostess station. Ten minutes. Fifteen minutes. Finally, he breezes in, full of apologies, work, traffic. So sorry.


Our table is in the bar area. He suggests the sample platter and orders a bottle of wine. We have pretty much cleaned all the little dishes and are closing in on the wine. We've talked about ... I can't remember. It could have been the game from last night, that I didn't watch.


"Did you drop your napkin, babe?"


I look at the floor and in my lap. No, I smile It's still here.


He grins and raises his glass as if he's making a toast. So, I do the same. He tosses back the last of his wine. So, I do the same.


And choke. Gasp. Cough. And spit up a ring.


It's a cute ring. Dainty would be the right word, I think. It's all right. Since I have to put on and take off those blue gloves a thousand times a day, an ostentatious honker would just tear through to Nitrile.


Taylor is laughing. Just about choking on the little wine that is left. I smile, gamely.


"Taylor?"


"What babe?" He chuckles.


"What does this mean?"


"What do you mean? It's an engagement ring. What do you think it means?"


"You want to marry me?"


"Yeah..." Is there a question mark at the end of his answer? No, surely not.


So, now I'm engaged.


Taylor settles the bill. When we stand outside on the sidewalk, he plants a quick kiss on my lips and stuffs me in a cab. Since I don't have enough money on me to cab all the way back to Mrs. Franken, I tell the driver to pull over as soon as we turn the corner. I give him two dollar and try not to listen to his curses while I run to the subway.


Mrs. Franken is so excited over the news. Even puts her glasses on to admire my ring. She insists I get the bottle of wine that has been waiting for 'just something like this' from the refrigerator. After I've put her down for her nap, I call Beth. Can she come and meet me for a drink? Yes, yes, I know it's Valentine's. I promise to be gone as soon as Marc shows up. She tells me where her dinner reservations are. Oh, you guessed it already, right? The same little place where Taylor and I had lunch today.


The subway spews me out at five minutes till seven. The hostess seats me at Beth and Marc's table. It's a lovely, out of the way, dark corner. Perfect for lovers. I've really had enough wine for one day, but what the heck, I got engaged today, right? So, I ask for a glass of wine and eat pretty much all the breadsticks before Beth joins me.


Beth looks fabulous, as always. A lovely, form-fitting black cocktail dress, red shoes. And I know hers did not come from Shoe Carnival, like mine did. No, hers are the real deal. Emeral-cut emeralds surrounded by diamond in her ears. A slightly larger version on her finger. How much you wanna bet that she'll have the matching necklace before the night is out? No, I'm not jealous. Well, okay, a little. Shit! A lot.


"You look lovely, Arlene." She's generous. "What's new?"


"I got engaged."


"You did? I didn't know you were dating someone."


"Yes, you do. I told you, didn't I?"


She shakes her head. Is that pity I see on her face?


"Anyway, he took me out to lunch today. Right here, as a matter of fact. And he hid the ring, this one, in a glass of wine. I almost choked on it. Wasn't that sweet?


"Un huh." She says slowly.


"No! no. You think I bought the ring myself. You think I'm that desperate. Beth, no!"


She apologizes halfheartedly and orders champagne. The good stuff, of course.


When I take the glass away from my lips I freeze.


This little table in the little dark corner allows us to see the whole restaurant, but people can't see us. Which means that Taylor, who has just walked in with a woman, doesn't see me.


She's looking adoringly at him. She has straight black hair, cut short and sassy. Mine is blond, curly and unruly. She's short. In her impossible heels, she still doesn't quite reach his shoulder. I'm only a few inches shorter than Taylor. Her girls are THERE. Can't miss those sisters. Mine are cute and perky. Her lips are redder, her make-up is, well..., obvious. Her dress is one size too small. She looks... Okay you're gonna call me bitter, jealous. True. But still, she looks slutty. So, I assume she's a client.


But why would he order wine if it's a working dinner? And ... Why... Why is he holding a little black box in his hand? Why is she squealing and clasping her hands at her more than generous chest?


"Arlene?"


I'm only vaguely aware of Beth speaking to me. Slowly, because my legs are little unsteady, I get up. I'm not really sure what I'm feeling at this moment. Stunned? Yes. Confused? Less so. Angry? I'm getting there. Betrayed, hurt, worthless? Yes, yes, yes.


I walk past the two tables that separate us. Taylor is sitting with his back to me. "Oh, sweetie, I couldn't help but notice that you just got engaged." She looks a little startled, but then beams up at me and nods. "Congratulations." My fingers are digging into Taylor's shoulder. "Please let me see your ring. Now, isn't that lovely. And it's the exact same one he gave me at lunch today. Here sweetie, you have both."


So, now I'm single, again.


February 10, 2024 07:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Hannah Lynn
02:48 Feb 18, 2024

Glad Arlene discovered the truth about this creep before it went it any further. Good for her confronting him with the other woman!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen Sanders
14:08 Feb 17, 2024

Enjoyed reading your story. I've got a relative going through stuff similar to your 'Taylor's.' The guy always finds an excuse for not inviting her ever...to his place, but loves to stay at her place to eat and the rest. And she's known him more than a year... The ending, slightly predictable...

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:56 Feb 17, 2024

Thank you, Helen. Yeah, sounds like your friend's squeeze has something to hide. And I agree that the end was a tad lame. didn't see he was worth committing a crime ovr. :-) Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
18:41 Feb 11, 2024

What was this man thinking? This is funny, clever and flowed beautifully. Arlene is so relatable. I love her composure at the end. You go girl!

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:45 Feb 11, 2024

I know right? Some people just have to have their cake and eat it too. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
11:33 Feb 11, 2024

Should have given her a puppy to soften the blow ;) Juggling two girlfriends - risky. Juggling two wives - suicidal. This is a cute story with a well-developed protagonist full of personality. I like how you set us up for the cheating reveal to unveil the double proposal. Good work Trudy!

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:38 Feb 11, 2024

Thanks, Ty. And you are absolutely right. Puppies beat two-timers any day. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:20 Feb 10, 2024

"All my friends are paired. Most of them married, some seriously committed. They all hang out together. Oh, they're sweet and invite me along. But I'm the odd wheel. Tolerated at best, pitied most likely." ----Why does this line remind me a bit of the Broadway musical Company (only that piece's protagonist is very much single)? Hahahaha ! I knew it. I felt like Taylor was cheating when you described that he wasn't really present in the relationship. I didn't expect that he'd propose to both women, though. Like, what was he expecting to do. ...

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:41 Feb 10, 2024

Thanks, I'll fix that. You're, though there are those who have gotten away with bigamy. But I guess he was just too clueless to decide for himself. :-) (Never saw Company)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:45 Feb 10, 2024

I'm just trying to imagine how Taylor would have picture a life with both wives? It can't happen, not even legally. Hahaha!

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:12 Feb 10, 2024

It would be too exhausting IMHO. But then he let them decide, didn't he?

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:16 Feb 10, 2024

At least, Arlene is free and can find someone who can give her the world, let alone the basic requirement of actually being very much into her.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:21 Feb 10, 2024

Amen, sister. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.