2 comments

Happy

                    BORN TO LOVE.

   Old Joby Senior looked at the grey walls of the hospice, while the oak tree blew its fine green leaves against the window pane. Quite a colourful display for late Summer. A smile came to his lips. Thinking about his early love of opera and good classical music. It had started way back as a boy listening to Mozart on the old school radio just a frame it was with a screen plugged into the wall. The fish being one of his favourite pieces the tinkling of water made it all so real to the ear. It really let your imagination run wild, the joy of good quality music. His eyes began to water as the emotions and memories took over.

  No one could take that away, those lifetime memories. As the pictures of his life, took over it was years ago as a seven-year-old boy he had developed his interest in music. The difference in Handles music and that of Brahms deeper more powerful symphony had become mind blowing. The sounds then as thrilling as the joy of modern technology today.  Amazing how thoughts and memories always stayed with you over the years to hold a special place in one’s heart. To flourish and grow like the branches of the fine tree outside his bedroom window.

  Later in his teens he had meet dear sweet Mary wife and later mother to his only son Gary. With the same interest in music the three of them would attend concerts, proms in the park together, opera the costumes the outstanding voices capturing the scenes. Madame Butterfly, Les Misérables all staged in London, they always had the best seats in the house. Oh, what an atmosphere the crowds all appreciating the best of good music and talent so much talent and love. Oh, so fascinating, colours, people’s voices, and acting skills so flourishing and refreshing to watch. Orchestras, the smiles of the people he and Mary had meet over the years. Where had those people gone? Some had stayed as mutual friends while others had moved on. Such a love of life and its many virtues that nobody could take away from him. Joby indeed had become a lucky man to get so much joy and satisfaction from life and living before illness and old age had taken over. Mary being a music teacher had helped in the early days of their relationship and Joby’s promotion to music director, then a professor of music at the college where he taught had helped enormously with job satisfaction and discovering new talent. His thoughts went to modern day composers.

     Queen the pop group and their Bohemian Rhapsody marvellous, Michael Jackson his interest in the old movies influencing his dancing and that of older people who liked and enjoyed his style of dance. More tears came to Joby’s eyes remembering those tender years, when he had lost his only son Gary to a car crash and daughter in law Jaycee. When her father and mother went away on business Paige had always stayed with her grandparents. After the car crash that had killed her parents, Joby and Mary had brought up their only grandchild Paige.

   He and Mary had paid for dance lessons for Paige taking her to see Swan Lake, showing her the joy of ballet and listening to good music. Explaining to her the influence that music had on modern day pop music, films, and film stars. Just after Paige’s seventeenth birthday, His beloved Mary had passed away in her sleep due to a stroke she would not have been the same vibrant person if she had survived. Joby and Paige had become closer over the years he had seen her become a celloist in several big orchestras, What better honour than that, a famous granddaughter?

 Oh, life had its ups and downs. Joby had seen it all, music bought to life over the years. Slowly a smile appeared, on his cracked lips. While his grey eyes closed. Paige who had flown over from America to be with him, she held his wrinkled hand gently in hers kissing his fingertips. With the Throat

Cancer gone her grandfather now rested in peace. She and her husband Micky, would see that Braham’s and Handel occupied Joby to his final resting place. Beside the fine oak trees in Mount Joy Cemetery, with his beloved wife Mary, son, Gary, daughter in-law Jaycee.

As the final chapter of Joby’s life closed. The sun shone through the trees and the vibrant green fine leaves shone upon the window pane. Soon another occupant would take over Joby’s room for the whole cycle to start over again. Relief self-worth, memories may flourish to wither away, all part of the process of living, loving, and dying.

Paige slowly removed her hand from her grandfathers looking at his face so peaceful at rest upon the white pillowcase with floral duvet cover. His life had ended the way he had wished at peace with family present. not everyone had that choice. She was so glad to be here with him in this room. Watching as the sunlight played across the room. Maybe he was watching her from above already.

The branches of the tree appeared moving gently with a slight breeze.

A fitting end for a fine gentleman, who had done so much to help others along the way. Giving her love growing up after the death of her parents. She would pass that love onto her family once the baby

was born. Explaining what a great guy their great grandfather had been. Optimistic they to would have the same joy of the arts and theatre in their blood. His funeral would not be sad or sombre people would come in droves to say goodbye to a fine gentleman. She would encourage people to wear bright colours and think of the joy and light that Joby had bought into the lives of others.

Leaving the room she summand the nursing staff by ringing the buzzer at the side of the bed. They had been so kind and patient with her grandfather over the final months of his life. Showing the same humanity he had shown to others over the years. As she left the hospital, she felt the baby move the stirrings of another life growing inside her. How marvellous was that? To pass these genes on.


January 19, 2024 21:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Christine LW
16:50 Jan 27, 2024

Thank you Patricia, the text in the story diffrent as added to story already written. Jobys epic moment was after losing his son. Educating his grandaughter, while accepting the lose of his wife.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Patricia Casey
14:44 Jan 27, 2024

Hi Christine, Christine, You covered a lifetime in your short story. Joby seems like a wonderful man, and you showed tribute to him well. One suggestion would be to focus on one significant moment that changed his life and why to make him more intimate and alive to the reader. It is distracting to have all your text in bold letters. It is a sign that you are shouting at the reader. To separate the backstory from the present scene, you could use a dinkus: https://www.nownovel.com/blog/dinkus-scene-breaks-uses/ I hope this helps you. Patr...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.