0 comments

Fiction Happy

Sadie's hands shook as she read the letter, tears staining the eviction notice as she threw her ominous fate into the fireplace. She sat on the rug salvaged from a nearby dumpster last fall, running her fingers across the intricate swirls and spots stained with red wine and mud from the winter.

Liam entered the small studio, a bag of apples and oranges in his arms, a scarf thrown aroundnhis neck.

He said, "Looks like you've seen a ghost."

"I think I did. It finally came."

"The job?"

Sadie stood, her knees cracking. for 24, she was fit. She rode her bike to school, work, and the bank if needed. Her life was simple until she was laid-off two weeks prior.

She said, "They decided to withdraw the job opportunity. Re shuffling staff apparently."

Liam wrapped his arms around her shoulders as Sadie pulled the scarf's tendrils, wrapping it around herself for warmth.

He replied, "You're smart. I know you are letting your mind wander to the abyss, but it'll be alright. We've hit a bottom, that's all."

"I'm not sure."

"What happened today?"

"We're being evicted." Liam thought a moment then smiled. "Why are you grinning?" She placed her hands on his cheek, his face cold.

"Look what was mailed to my office. You won't believe the timing." He handed her a letter as she read aloud.

"Dear Mr. Beil, let this serve as the final notice as executor and beneficiary of Ms. Parks estate. If no contact is made by January 4th, the Estate listed in the Last Will and Testimate will go to the next Heir listed. Please call Larry Spots at the number listed below for more information." She looked up at Liam. "You're joking. This is a joke. Who is Ms. Parks?"

"I called the number the moment I got it, I was sure it was a scam. But it's notarized, and sent official business. I thought it was a mistake, I don't know anyone by that name."

"No relatives?"

"Not that my parents told me about, but I was young when my they died. I never asked much about my family, I didn’t think I needed to.”

"What happened when you called?"

"It sent me to a law office. I was still wary, of course. They emailed me her Will, after talking for about an hour."

"This is insane." They moved into the living room, her hands tight around the document. The couch let out a whine in protest of the intrusion. "What is the Estate? Where is it?"

"That's just the thing. It's here in Colorado, on a Ranch. She is giving it to me. The house is 4,000 square feet."

"This is impossible."

"Quite the opposite. But there's a catch..."

"You're scaring me."

"She wants the benefactor of the Ranch to be a horse rider."

"You've never touched a horse."

"Right again..."

"But she's dead, right? How would she know?"

"The Estate is being currently run an attorney. He received a house in New York, apparently, but I didn't get a lot of information on that.” He sighed. “It's worse than just a horse though...I have to be able to ride a bull."

"You can't ride a bull!"

"The house is worth more than we've ever thought imaginable."

"How long do you have to prove you can do it?”

"It's December 11th, I have until the 4th to arrive at the Estate. They have staff there around the clock. Animals, a farm."

"Would you have to run the farm?"

"Not at all, everything could stay the same."

"Did they say who she was?"

"A close relative, apparently."

"Anything about her?"

"She was only 42. She had a heart condition and never married, her life was that Estate. Apparently, she had a brother, but he died too." Liam walked into their closet and started throwing shirts into the one suitcase they owned.

"Sadie, we're heading West, grab your things."

"Now?"

"What better time? You have no work, school is over for the year. I put in my notice. They wouldn't let me take all of that time off."

"I think I'm going to faint. Without your work, we’re stranded.”

Before he could answer, a horn sounded. He said, "Quick, grab your things. We're leaving in five!"

"This is crazy!" Sadie started throwing clothing still attached to the hangers into the suitcase, lotions and toothbrushes. Before they knew it, they were inside a Town Car, heading towards the Estate. Sadie leaned into Liam. "Not that I don't have faith, but do you think you can learn how to ride a bull in three weeks?"

"Not proficiently, of course. People practice their whole lives. I just have to stay on a few seconds."

"How many is a few?"

"Four. Better than seven, right?"

"I'm glad I saved my faint. Now's definitely the time."

"I'm going to practice every second. The lawyer is coming out on the 4th, if I can do this, we are set. You can make a pottery studio in the house, pet the chickens."

She started to cry. "Liam, you don't pet chickens." Her cry turned into a laugh as they watched the scenery speed by. After three hours, they arrived. The large wrap-around terrace and two-story home felt like a palace.

"Is itweird to say I already feel at home? Look at the cows, Liam. The crips air. It's beautiful!"

They exited the car and were welcomed at the front entrance by the head of staff.

"Welcome to the Estate. Please, follow me. There's lunch in the kitchen if you'd like, just sandwiches and tea."

Sadie and Liam looked at one another. The place seemed right out of a dream.

"Please, make yourselves at home. Mr. Spot's plane lands in two hours. Feel free to tour the property. Plan on having dinner here with him, if it suits you both."

He smiled and disappeared as fast as he appeared.

They walked the barn, the outside perimeter and took a small path down to a stream.

"I hate to ruin the moment, but we can't afford rent on the 1st, or the back dues. If we stay until the 4th, we're going to have to get our things, no matter what happens."

"I know it seems risky, but I feel it in my gut." Liam said, "we can do this. I can do this. Its our only option at this point."

"I won't believe it until we meet with Mr. Spots."

"Let's walk back to the house and get something to drink, relax a minute. If we can't stay in the end, we better be sure we have made the most of it."

They walked hand in hand up the path, past three grazing deer and the chirping of birds. They were quiet.

When the doorbell finally rang at 6 p.m., they felt a jolt of fear. They were sitting at the table, hands on their knees, waiting for the man who would seal their fate.

"Ah, this must be Liam and Sadie." The lawyer reached his hand out. They marked him as friendly. He was tall and boisterous, young. "I'm sure this is quite the shock, and quite the odd request."

Liam said, "I'm having a hard time believing this is real."

"I've brought with me your family tree. You're also welcome to bring a lawyer of your own, which I recommend. They can review all of the documents."

"That sounds like a smart choice," Sadie said "but we can't afford

one."

"Non-sense." Larry placed his napkin on his lap as the food arrived.

"Unfortunately, it's true," Liam said. "but thank you for the offer."

Larry thought a moment. "Did anyone tell you the details of the entire Will?"

"Just what you wrote in the letter I didn't much understand the entirety of what you sent me, I was waiting to speak more with you.

Larry smiled. "Well, you better get to work, than. You have until the 4th to learn to ride a bull. The staff here are friendly, they'll help you."

Liam nodded, "I'm going to try my best." He picked up the family tree. "So this is it? My family?"

"Absolutely. You may find some other surprises as well this weekend. All good, I hope."

The rest of the week went by in a flash. Liam practiced as much as they'd let him, and on the 2nd began climbing on the beast himself. The next day he could hardly walk.

"How are you going to ride a bull if you can't walk?" Sadie asked.

"For that much money, I'd take that option any day of the week."

"You laugh now, but this is serious. It's real danger, this isn't a mechanical bull."

Liam began pushing boxes up against the far wall of their bedroom. They already felt like home, and never talked about what would happen if he couldn't ride the bull and they were evicted from the second place in a week. He said, "Have faith."

The morning of the third brought with it rain and the feeling of winter just behind the veil of crisp October air.

"I love you, you know." She said.

Liam kissed the top of her head. "How could I think otherwise? You're here with me, in the most unlikely of circumstances."

The staff seemed to double in number, word reaching the neighborhood and to the corners of the county. Liam seemed nervous, but sure, walking into the arena in chaps and a small smile across his lips. He successfully stayed on Patrick, the Bull, for

3 seconds the day before. He felt good.

The moment arrived, and Sadie buried her eyes in her hands. The week was beautiful, the most fun she'd had in her entire life. They didn't want for food or worry about the next bill. Before she could think beyond the fairy tale, an alarm sounded, and Liam was atop the animal. As fast as a couple seconds fly by, it was the

longest in her life. She felt it all, the rain, the sweat dripping off her

brow. It was hours, these final moments.

At three seconds, Liam fell off Patrick. He didn’t make the time stipulation. Sadie was stunned and the crowd was silent. He stood and staff wrangled the beast back into his cage,

everyone appearing no worse for the wear.

She said to no one in particular, “I’m just glad he’s safe.” And she meant it. If they lived in a car, on the river, in a friend’s garage she knew it would be alright if they were together.

Running up to Liam, they embraced. His brow furrowed, he said, “I really thought I could do it. And here everyone is, clapping as if I’d done it.”

Larry approached, shaking Liam’s hand. Sadie said, “Thank you for the opportunity, Mr. Spots. We’ll be grabbing our things.”

“Non-sense.” He smiled, patting Liam on the shoulder. “My business name is Spots, Larry Spots. But that’s not my real name.”

They looked at each other, wondering where this new-found information would lead. “Go on,” Liam said.

“I’m Delvin Beil. Your other cousin.”

“We’re related?”

“100%. My mentor always said Delvin would get me a whole lot of nothing in terms of clients, so I changed it.”

Liam smiled, “I haven’t seen a family member in years. I thought everyone was deceased.”

“There’s not many of us left, and clearly your parents left our side out of the story. Your father never got along with his half-brother, and never knew he had children. My father, Bill, shares a mother with your dad. The other half-sibling is Ms. Parks.”

“If nothing else comes from this weekend, this was all worth it.” They embraced. "I can hardly believe it all."

“I was going to tell you earlier, but I was hoping you’d go the four seconds so thought I’d hold off.”

Liam looked at his feet. “Don’t worry, we’ll leave shortly.”

“No, no. Ms. Parks, or Anna, wanted you to be able to ride a bull in order to inherit the Estate, the farm. Not the other items.”

“Other items?”

“Yes, there’s quite a lot. Two houses in New Hampshire, and $500,000. The other cousins split other pieces of the Will, if you’re interested we can go over it more in full.”

“You’re saying we’re worth $500,000?”

“Quite. Much more, if you sell the homes. They’re fully furnished, and have staff there as well.”

“I have other cousins?”

“You have a whole family, and their waiting for you inside.”

Liam hugged Sadie close, his heart full of love. She said, “Well, I love you all the same, you know. I’m just glad you’ve survived.”

Liam kissed her deeply, and fiddled with the ring in his pocket. Tonight was going to hold a lot of surprises and they would certainly all be good.

December 13, 2020 21:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.