2 comments

Romance

What can I get you the bartender asked? A double shot of whiskey I replied. Taking the shot like a pro I asked for another double my throat was burning but I didn't care. Not wanting to leave my mind open for any doubts I quickly Threw the alcohol back. I got up to find the nearest stairs that would lead to the ruff top. Walking slowly to the edge I closed my eyes, the air was freezing cold. So this is it? This is how your life ends. I asked myself outloud. After 4 long years of putting up with his late night business meetings and out of control drinking this is how he repays me. And her the biggest traitor of them all Betty King my tramp of a mother. The Blue Diamonds on my dress matched the color of my eyes, so many friends and family members here to celebrate our love. Finally I was going to be happy and look good doing it. The wedding was a go in 20 min and as usual my mom is missing. Kelly, whose my Maid Of Honor, told everyone to spread out and look for her. Walking down the church hall I heard a strange noise coming from the bathroom. Slowly turning the knob I couldn't prepare my heart for what was coming. There they were my soon to be husband and mom getting it on on the floor. Running out as fast as I could I got on the first bus that was leaving. So here I am about to end this pain, taking a step closer to the edge. The voice came from behind me, I would do that if I were you. Yeah and why not? Because I would hate to see that beautiful dress filled with blood. Turning slowly I burst out laughing, what so funny he says? It is a beautiful dress, almost to beautiful for me. My name is George he said putting his hand out, Sara nice to meet you George. Well Sara how about we get out this cold and go have ourselves a beer, Thinking hard I agreed and made my way down the stairs. Shit I said in my head you're not suppose to be in here, 1 drink I told myself. Joe get this pretty lady whatever she wants a shot of whiskey right mam yes Joe thank you. So if you don't mind me asking what is so bad that would make you take your life. I downed the shot before responding are you sure you're ready for this conversation? He smiled, making his dimples come to life. I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't ready. Spilling my guts to a total stranger was not normal but he was the one who may have given me a second chance at life. So I told him everything, crying and laughing at how bizarre the story was. The look on his face was priceless when I told him the woman was my Mother. I waited on his reply, well little lady your day has been very shitty I can see why you were up there. But don't give them the benefit to know that they broke you. He's a scumbag and we'll I can't say what my mind is thinking about your mother. Giggling a bit I was enjoying this stranger conversation.The bar was starting to clear out when I realized I didn't know we're I was. Also I only had that 20 in my bra which was my lucky 20 so much for that. What town am I in I asked? Tennessee George replied so many miles from home I said. Listen no pressure but my house is about 5 minutes from here I have a guest bed if you need somewhere to stay tonight. Hesitating I prayed he wasn't a serial killer which is funny because I was just about to take my own life. We walked down the street and sure enough it didn't take long at all. The outside was a beautiful burgundy color  made of wood, he opened the door and we went inside. Beautiful home I told him so clean and homey looking. Why are you single? I asked him you seem like such a nice guy. He chuckled a little well females don't go for nice guys anymore so I'm single until I found the right one. We talked for a while longer and I was beat and needing sleep. Showing me to the guest room like he said we parted ways for the night. Memories of the two danced in my head as I closed my eyes to try to get some rest. The morning sun peeked through the curtains waking me up. Frantically I jumped up noticing I wasn't in my own bed, knocking over the knit knack George came running in. His facial expression made me giggle my brain quickly catching up. With a confused look on his face I apologized for knocking his things over. Come with me he said I made you breakfast. We talked for some hours and I dreaded leaving. I wish I could stay longer but I have to get home to fix my life. He offered to drive me home but I refused. Instead I asked to borrow some money for a bus ticket. Exchanging numbers we promised to keep in touch with each other. I set off to get ready for this bus ride left with nothing but my thoughts. One day I will laugh about this whole thing, my mom and finance having sex on the church floor in the bathroom and me going home with a total stranger. Who turned into a very good friend. Until then I have some serious ass to kick when I get back. Nobody plays me and think they're going to get away with it. Thank GOD George was there to help me come to my senses this could have ended very badly but I'm counting my blessings from here on out.

July 31, 2020 01:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Nandan Prasad
06:05 Aug 04, 2020

Hey, the concept of this story is actually very good. It requires some editing for the grammatical errors and the punctuation, so maybe try and use an online grammar check. But, otherwise it's a great story, and keep writing! Also, please do check out my stories if you get the time.

Reply

Ashley Patterson
14:30 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.