1 comment

Creative Nonfiction

"Today, the pandemic had officially ended in our country" shouted the health minister in glee to through the national television.

" The countries last Covid patients have recovered, the country is free from Covid ."

The words everyone wished to hear one day has finally been said. The pandemic officially ended.

"What a year we have been through. Who would have thought that the world would have to face a day like this. I really thought that 2020 would be the best day of my life, since it was 2020. 20 used to be my lucky number ,now I don't think it is. Hope the coming years will be the best ones so that it can overcome the grief of 2020" I said to my self. "The year of sadness, grief and deaths finally ended."

The streets and malls filled with people wearing no masks, glove or social distancing were shown on the TV.

I can't believe this was happening in the present and not in the past. I am so used to the pandemic lifestyle that I can't imagine what life was like before.

Seeing those people enjoying outside made want to go out too. So, I decided to meet my friend at a shop.

I took my bag and when outside with no masks and gloves. as I stepped outside, I felt I was missing something. I again went in and took my mask and sanitizer and put it in my bag. In the elevator I was hesitating to touch the buttons with my bare hands. I though that my hands would get infested with germs if I touched it. All the things that we used to do normally in our pre pandemic life seems very difficult to do now.

When I went outside, I felt the cool breeze touching the lower half of my face which was always covered with a mask . This was the first time I went outside without a mask.

Outside, I saw a group of kids cycling, people walking in the street and family members meeting each other with tears of joy.

That sight of positivity after a year a negativity was like cool water on my face.

I then walked outside and entered my car. Instead of seeing deserted streets as usual. I saw people, life and joy. All the things I longed for the past year. I pinched myself just to feel that what am I seeing was real.

I reached the shop after an hour and saw my friend waving at me. As I opened my door she rushed towards me and gave me a hug. I felt weird. It had been a year since I came near someone, let alone a hug. I felt the need to sanitize my entire self after that encounter.

We walked towards the shop , I opened the door with a napkin covering my hand since I kept on thinking about how many people with germy hand must have touched that door !

As I entered the shop I was shocked to see soo many people crowed like bees in a hive inside the shop. I was so irritated since I only thought about germs. Germs. Germ. I think I became a germaphobe !

Most of the people were not wearing masks or gloves , but some still wore them. Many still didn't get used to the post-pandemic life. All the people seemed happy and I could see their beautiful smiles which was usually covered by masks.

We did our shopping and decided to go to a café. It was quite far but offered delicious lattes. It was closed during the pandemic and opened few days back. Business faced a huge set back during the pandemic especially small ones. The world was at a standstill , everything was at standstill and today its slowing coming back on track.

We reached the café . I and my friend ordered a latte. When our drink came we both went into a frenzy of taking pics like an Instagram obsessed adult would do. #Post-pandemic , I typed on my post. It my first post after the pandemic. Finally, my feed is back to life.

We spent the next few hours chatting and catching up on what happened in the past year. We then went out and decided to go to an other café but this time with a few more friends.

We reached the café did the same routine of ordering, taking pictures, eating and chatting.

I sanitized my hands after I got my food. I realized I have been sanitizing my hands when ever I touch anything. Guess I will never stop this pandemic habit !

After a few hours we all realized it became quite late and decided to go home.

As I entered the my car, I stated reflecting on my life and the lives of others . I realized how lucky I was. I never faced any financially difficulties and didn't lose any of my loved one during the pandemic and I never had to stay away from my family.. Many lost their parents, siblings, friends and relative. Many parents who wear doctors and nurses has to stay away from their families and children for months. I shed a tear as I thought about them and drove back home.

I got back home, took a shower and sat on my bed thinking about the pandemic.

"It made a new history" I said to myself.

"It like a war but against an organism.

A war for a good reason.

A war to save our human kind.

The pandemic will never be forgotten,

It has changed our lives forever. "

I stopped talking to myself as I had to go to sleep. I have to prepare my self for an other day of post - pandemic life.

AUTHORS NOTES - Hello. Thanks for reading. I appreciate it.

The pandemic has taken a huge toll on our life . Hope the world come back to normal as soon as possible and hope we will all be able to witness a day like this story.

March 06, 2021 14:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

A Cat
14:40 Mar 14, 2021

There are a few grammar and spelling mistakes in the story. I am unable to re edit the story. So, kindly excuse the mistakes. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.