Contest #254 shortlist ⭐️

9 comments

Historical Fiction Romance Fiction

Ava had two favorite pastimes. One of them was her afternoon tea served on pure white China. The other was reading the daily gossip column in the New York Gazette. Even better when she could enjoy those cherished moments alone.

“There’s a rumor going around about a girl.” She nodded a thank you to the servant who poured her tea and handed the cup to her. “I can take it from here. Thank you, Stiles.”

“Ma’am.” Stiles nodded at Ava’s husband, Clarence, and left the room.

The rumble and clip-clop of a horse-drawn carriage could be heard from the street by their house. The person or persons who occupied the carriage was of little interest to Ava. She was content with her cozy home on 63rd Street. She rarely ventured out as she had more than enough company with her family and servants.

“The traffic is getting ridiculous out there. I now wonder what we were thinking building here. Before you know it, there will be five or even ten carriages on this road all at once. You won’t even be able to cross the street.”

“Cross the street for what purpose?” Clarence asked. “You don’t like the Smiths nor the family next to them.”

“You’ve missed my point.”

“Have I?”

Reaching for a blueberry scone, Ava glanced at her husband. He was puffing on a cigar and looking out the window, apparently in deep thought. “Didn’t you have an appointment this afternoon?”

“Who’s that girl?” When Ava gave him a quizzical look, he added, “The girl you were reading about in the tabloid.”

“Oh, her.” Ava’s lips tightened. “None of the parties were named but I suspect it’s the unwanted niece of that uppity new-moneyed clan.”

“Which clan, in particular?”

“The Lindys.”

“You mean the Lindels?”

“I suppose. Aren’t they all the same?”

When Clarence asked again what she was saying about the girl, she elaborated. “It’s not really the girl, although she’s bad enough. It’s that man. The Ralston’s son, William.”

Clarence swiped at his forehead and glanced at the clock on the mantel. “Do you need your smelling salts again, my dear?” Since Ava’s ire was gathering momentum, he addressed the issue no further.

Ava didn’t let the topic drop, however. She stated that the girl insisted on wearing her hair down.

“Well, that can be pretty—” Clarence began.

Ava reminded her husband that hair worn loose in public was just plain vulgar. “It’s simply not acceptable in society. Imagine! Aside from it getting all tangled up with the slightest wisp of the wind. Vulgar, I say. It’s the same as how they flaunt their money. And then her falling all over that man!”

Clarence decided that he wasn’t sure how the family flaunted their money. “Falling all over what man? And what do you mean by ‘falling’?”

“Oh!” Ava flung the newspaper toward Clarence. “Read it for yourself.” She was annoyed enough to have her tea interrupted with a human presence. Now she was forced to regurgitate the latest scandal to a man who didn’t give the slightest fig about the nuances of social graces. “I mean literally falling.”

Their two daughters, Mary and Ruby, entered the drawing room. Ruby was the eldest of the two.

“Tea! How nice,” Ruby stated.

“You were both told moments ago.”

“We know, Mother,” Mary commented. “We were busy.” She tugged at the bun that was firmly pinned to her head. Ruby chose to have her hair secured with a butterfly comb.

Clarence looked up adoringly at his daughters. They both gave him a quick peck on the cheek before taking a seat.

“What are you reading, Papa?” Mary asked.

He stood and handed the paper to her. “Some new gossip your mother and I were discussing. I dare say it’s the highlight of the week given how it has your mother’s back up.”

“Should I get you your smelling salts, Mother?” Ruby asked. She exchanged glances with her sister who was grinning.

Clarence announced that he was heading out for his appointment. “Back before supper, darling.”

“Bye, Daddy.”

Mary nibbled on a finger sandwich as she read the tabloid. A few moments later, she looked shocked and then stifled a laugh.

Ava looked up. “What’s so funny?”

“This story. It’s hilarious.”

“What does it say?” Ruby asked.

“Okay, listen.” Mary read aloud the story of how a young woman was at the park with a friend. Engrossed in the conversation with her friend, she didn’t see the man sitting on the bench. He was reclined, reading a book. His long legs were outstretched. The young woman got tangled up in his legs and promptly fell onto his lap. The book he was reading plopped to the ground.

“And he kissed her!” Ava stated.

Ruby’s eyes went wide.

“Yes,” Mary continued, “it says that they looked at one another in surprise. Then he gave her a deep kiss. Afterward, he turned to the crowd that had gathered around by then and said, ‘They just fall into my lap.’ The man was rewarded with a hardy laugh from the crowd. The woman tried to remove herself from his lap while he offered assistance by taking her hand.”

“Goodness, but that’s funny!” Mary stated. “You have to admit it, Mother.” She turned to her sister. “Don’t you think so, Ruby?”

“The audacity,” Ava announced. “You know it has to be that Mister Ralston.”

“Possibly,” Mary said. “Well, he is handsome.”

Ava looked suspiciously at her daughter. “He’s new money, darling daughter.”

Under her breath, Mary said, “New money usually means a whole lot of money.”

“I heard that.”

“I meant for you to, Mother.” Mary giggled.

Ava was appalled that her daughter would think such a thing was entertaining. She held her tongue, though. She felt old whenever her daughter was around. Not so much because of anything Mary said to her directly. More because their views were so divergent.

In order to divert the conversation, Mary commented on how delicious the finger sandwiches were. This took Ava onto a whole new discussion about how she suspected the kitchen maid and cook were spending too much time together. “I even caught them holding hands.”

“They’re in the kitchen with one another most of the day, Mother,” Ruby replied. “Are you really surprised?”

Sounds of another carriage reached their ears but this time it seemed to stop somewhere near their house. At the ringing of the doorbell, Ava wondered who they were expecting. She couldn’t think of anyone.

Moments later, Stiles entered the room. “There’s a gentleman at the door for Miss Ruby,” he stated.

“Really? That’s curious,” Ava replied. “Were you expecting anyone, Ruby?”

“No.” Ruby stood and walked into the foyer, followed by her mother and sister. Opening the door, she saw the handsome man she had encountered in the park the day before.

He smiled and tipped his hat. “Good day, Miss Ruby.”

Ruby smiled back, remembering the incident in the park and their kiss. “Good day. Mister Ralston, correct?”

William took another step toward her. “I just wanted to say—” He looked away momentarily and then turned and met Ruby’s eyes. “I took the liberty of finding out your name. I just wanted to say that after an encounter like yesterday’s, it simply couldn’t go without an introduction.”

“I see.” Ruby’s smile was broad.

“And perhaps a proper walk in the park?” William held his arm out for Ruby to take it. “One that doesn’t involve getting tangled up in my legs.”

Ruby reached for her butterfly comb and pulled it. Her long, dark hair fell around her shoulders. “I would love to, Mister Ralston.”

“Wha—” Ava swayed slightly and unconsciously gripped Mary’s arm.

Amused, Mary glanced at her. “Should I get you your smelling salts, Mother?” 

June 14, 2024 14:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Mary Bendickson
23:54 Jun 24, 2024

Story is delightful. And to think she let her hair down! Congrats on the shortlist and welcome to Reedsy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Story Time
04:51 Jun 24, 2024

Linda, I thought this was spot on for the prompt. Enjoyable and surprising in all the best ways.

Reply

Linda Dennis
14:14 Jun 24, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Dennis
21:46 Jun 24, 2024

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
09:07 Jun 23, 2024

What a twist! Poor Ava. Enjoyed this. Congratulations on the shortlist.

Reply

Linda Dennis
14:14 Jun 24, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jenny Cook
23:41 Jun 21, 2024

It seems much to the shock of her mother,Ruby had really let her hair down!Smelling salts anyone! A telling tale of a lifestyle of old...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
17:00 Jun 21, 2024

Ha! It turns out it was her daughter, after all ! Wonderful work here !

Reply

Linda Dennis
21:49 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.