Thirteen years later

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about someone welcoming a stranger into their home.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Suspense Happy

It was approximately 10:30 p.m. when the bus dropped him on the periphery of the town. Aditya Suri was nervous and eager at the same time. He remembered very little about Mussoorie. His memories were limited solely to those places he had visited as a child. He knew this tourist place was magnificent. Now that he had come back, he had wanted to explore all of it—with his family, of course. He had to first find out about his family. Would they accept him? Of course they would. They loved him, right? The few moments he could recall were all of pure love and happiness. Or had he imagined them all? No. It had all come to him like a lightening crash. The doctor, too, had confirmed the same.

He was so engrossed in his reflections that he didn’t realize he had already entered the city. The road was relatively clear. Only a few vehicles on the street. He had grown up in a crowded city like Dehradun and was used to cars plying on roads for twenty-four hours. He spotted a resort and went inside. The manager informed him there were no rooms available. The same happened at the second one. He felt like sleeping in the reception area. He was awfully tired from the day’s journey and carrying his luggage. Dejected and upset, he just stood there when the manager of the hotel arrived and enquired about him.

The manager, Mr. Arvind Patel, was known for his devotion to work and his generosity. Although his work hours ended at eight every evening, he stayed back until eleven to make sure all was right and settled. He looked at the young man, barely able to stand on his feet, and took pity on him. He reminded him of his son. It had been thirteen years since he had lost his son. He’d have been the same age as this young man.

“I am sorry for your inconvenience, sir,” Mr. Patel said.

“Please don’t be. It’s not your fault. All resorts seem packed tonight.” said Aditya.

“I’d like to help. If you don’t mind—”

“Yes, please. Please let me know any other resort nearby where I can find a room.”

“I’m afraid, other resorts are far from here and it would be tough to get transport at this hour of the night. Would you mind staying at my place tonight?”

“Your place… you mean, your home?”

“Yes. it isn’t far from here and I was just about to leave. You can find a room later tomorrow, after you’ve rested.”

“I… I don’t know. I don’t want to be a bother to you and your family—”, Aditya stammered.

“Oh no, not at all. I’d sleep well knowing you’ve had a room. I can’t leave my customer stranded.” Mr. Patel assured him.

Mrs. Patel opened the door. She was a strikingly beautiful woman for her age. Like his mother, Aditya thought. Only there was a difference. His mother was a doctor, and she took care of herself. But this woman was naturally beautiful. The kind that appeals to everybody. Mr. Patel and his children were certainly fortunate to have the affection of such an angel. She greeted them with a pleasant smile.

“This is my wife,” Mr. Patel said to Aditya.

“Indira, this is Mr. Aditya Suri. Since there were no rooms vacant at the resort, I requested him to stay the night here. Please show him the guest room till I change and freshen up.”

“Sure. Please come,” Mrs. Patel said.

She led him to a room. The moment Aditya noticed the bed, he felt a certain divine bliss. After being dismissed from two resorts, the sight of the bed made him giddy with contentment. He kept staring at it. Indira noticed and immediately stated, “The room is not as big as the ones in the resort and the cupboard also might not accommodate all of your things—”

“Madam, please don’t say that. I was planning to spend the night at the reception. This is luxury. You gave me shelter in your home. I couldn’t ask for more. I’ve been thinking of you as an angel to have welcomed a stranger in your home.” said Aditya.

Indira smiled. “You must’ve had a long journey. Freshen up and come, I will fix supper for you.”

“No madam, I’ve had something to eat on the way.” Aditya protested.

“Humor me, give my husband company.”

He nodded in agreement as she left.

Arvind was waiting at the dining table for Aditya to join. But half an hour later, when he still hadn’t arrived, he went along with Indira to check. Aditya was fast asleep. Indira smiled. But a moment later, her countenance changed and became serious. Feeling this change in his wife, Arvind put his palm on her shoulder for comfort. She couldn’t hold back now, and started sobbing quietly.

“Are you thinking—?” she asked between her sobs.

“Yes,” he whispered

“He would have been just like him. Grown up into a young man…”

“Indira… I understand it hasn’t been easy for you even after so many years.”

So many years… thirteen years. Every single moment seemed like an age. None of them had forgotten that incident. Earlier they spent sleepless nights. Now it haunted their dreams as well. It was supposed to be an enjoyable family trip. And they were enjoying it all. When on the last ill fated day, all hell broke loose. The car came at breakneck speed. They did not have any warning. The crash was sudden. His son Bhavesh, seven, who was sitting at the window, was thrown out. Unfortunately, it was the outer edge of the mountain ghat that opened into the valley. The rest of them were seriously injured. After coming to their senses, they had searched a lot for Bhavesh. The police stopped the search after a month and declared him dead. Arvind’s daughter Bhavya had been in trauma for a year. She couldn’t bear the loss of her younger brother. Indira too would break down whenever she saw a young boy playing down the street. With great effort the Patel family had pulled themselves out of the grief and started living their lives. But on certain days like this, it was challenging not to think and talk about that incident.

Aditya woke up to the sweet instrumental music that was playing softly. The sun had risen, and the birds were chirping, flying in search of food. The thought of food made him remember. Mrs. Patel had asked him to join for dinner last night. She was so sweet to invite him. He didn’t remember falling asleep. He should perhaps apologize for his inconsiderate behavior. After a quick shower, he went to the living room. Mrs. Patel was laying plates for breakfast. She saw him standing in the doorway.

“Good morning. Did you sleep well?” she asked.

“Yes, thank you. I’m sorry, I didn’t come for supper last night. I don't remember falling asleep—“

She smiled that benevolent smile again. Now he was sure she was an angel. “It’s alright Mr. Suri. I understand. You were tired.”

“Please call me Aditya.” he said sheepishly.

“Okay then, Aditya, please join us for breakfast.”

“Actually, I was planning to leave,” He didn’t want to take their hospitality for given. “and find a room elsewhere,” he added when Mrs. Patel raised an eyebrow. “I don’t want to cause you any more inconvenience.” he answered her silent question.

“Unlike last night, I won’t allow you to weasel out, Aditya,” Mrs. Patel said in a stern voice.

“I might even hold you down if I have to,” Mr. Patel said, who was watching the conversation with great interest.

For a moment Aditya tensed, but soon relaxed when he saw the twinkle in Mr. Patel’s eyes and knew that they were just teasing him.

Mrs. Patel broke out into laughter. “Your expression is just priceless.” She couldn’t contain herself.

“Its good to see you laugh again Indira, haven’t heard that in years,” Mr. Patel had become somber.

She froze for a moment and then smiled shyly as if she too had just discovered that fact.

Mrs. Patel hadn’t laughed for years? Why indeed, Aditya thought? What must’ve befallen this angel? He wanted to ask, but he didn’t dare. He was an outsider. Something about them was odd. Why were they so amicable to a person they had met for the first time and knew nothing about? But he too had felt an odd bonding towards this family. There was so much love between them. He wanted that love to be showered upon him, too. It wasn’t as if his family didn’t love him. His parents probably cared for him more than their own daughter. They never let him feel he was an adopted child. He had been told that only recently. After he had got those weird visuals in dreams.

“You won’t be able to eat if you’re going to just stand there,” Mrs. Patel broke his reverie.

Breakfast was lavish. Partly because it was great to taste and partly because it was served with love.

“So Aditya, tell us about yourself. Where are you from and what do you do?” asked Mr. Patel after breakfast.

“I am from Dehradun and I am currently pursuing graduation in Commerce.”

“Commerce! My elder daughter has also completed her graduation in Commerce. So it must be your vacation time right now. Is that why you are here? On a trip to enjoy scenic beauty?” Mrs. Patel asked.

“No, I had some work,” he said instead of No, I have come to search my estranged family. He had decided to come here after discussing with his mother. He’d had vivid dreams. Every time the same thing. A happy family of four, laughing while the car maneuvers the ghat on the mountain, the giddy feeling of happiness and then suddenly crash a loud bang and then darkness. When these nightmares didn’t stop, his mother decide to tell him.

His mother was working at the hospital when one day, some villagers brought a young child badly injured. She could save his life, but his face was scarred to an extent that it was difficult to identify him. He was given a plastic surgery, which changed his countenance to some extent. He was so traumatized that he couldn’t speak anything for almost a month. And since no one could recognize him, his mother had brought him home; she couldn’t bring herself to leave such a young child alone. She had loved him like her own child. And maybe that was the reason he had found his voice again. But he still couldn’t recall his own identity or anything that would give any hint about his family except… except one photograph. It was of a young girl slightly older than the child. But he couldn’t recognize her. Until recently. After almost thirteen years, he saw the same girl in his dreams; but still without a name. The doctors suggested he might have got his memories back. And that’s when he decided to ‘pursue his dreams’. He had just that one photo, one thread of hope to reunite with his family.

Coming back to the present he asked, “And what does your younger child do, Sir?”

Mr. Patel looked perplexed. “I have only one child, my daughter.”

“You just said, your elder daughter—“

“I had a son,” Mr. Patel said as if it were a confession.

“Had…?”

Mrs. Patel froze for a moment and then hurried to her room sobbing.

“I’m sorry, did I say something to hurt her?” Aditya now felt bad for broaching the subject.

“No, no. It’s not your fault. Indira isn’t able to hold herself.”

Aditya waited patiently for him to continue. Mr. Patel looked out the window and after a while said, “I lost my son in an accident years ago. We still haven’t been able to cope with the grief. She must’ve gone to see his photos,” he gave a cynical smile “thinks she can feel him through photos.”

“I’m sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences.”

Mr. Patel nodded silently.

“Sir, madam has cared for me despite being a stranger. If you don’t mind, I would like to comfort her, share her grief.”

Mr. Patel nodded his consent.

As told, Aditya found her weeping profusely over an album of photos. He sat down beside her quietly.

“We searched a lot for him. Almost a month. After that, the police gave up. They said, the valley is so deep it would be impossible for anyone fallen from such a height to be alive. My daughter couldn’t bear the loss, she didn’t speak for many months. She too was just a child back then. Here this is her photo.”

Aditya leaned forward and froze the moment he saw the photo. It was the same that he was carrying in his pocket. He just kept staring at it. Speechless. Tears started flowing from his eyes.

Sensing discomfort, Mrs. Patel said, "It’s alright, you don’t have to say anything."

Yes! He wanted to scream. He had a lot to say, but it was as if he had lost his voice. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out. He gave in, stopped all efforts and instead just took out the photo from his pocket and handed it to her. He trusted his angel to understand all of his unspoken words. After all, his angel was his mother.

June 04, 2021 11:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Iris Orona
20:41 Jun 08, 2021

WOW! SO BEAUTIFUL.

Reply

Aditi Kshirsagar
14:14 Jun 12, 2021

Thank you Iris.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.