0 comments

Adventure Inspirational Fiction

Life has changed a lot. We distanced ourselves from each other, we aren’t the tight knit family we became. I never knew this day would come, I always assumed we would always be together, always be there for each other, always be the Rainbows.

We distributed the memory serum, and it worked. Elson doesn’t know who any of us are, and we introduced ourselves to both societies, the memory wiped one and the experimental city one. 

Our society is more like the past, which is being teached. We got rid of all the cameras and we have volunteers helping rebuild the world outside of the city. 

I think it’s important to know the past, not to make sure we don’t repeat it, but because sometimes the past has correct ideas, but wrong execution. No society should be cut off from the world, especially without all the information and consent.

Some people still have colourful voices, but Akira developed a reversal surgery, which is optional of course.

Luka was one of the first ones to get it, and his face lit up when he woke up and he mumbled words without blue flying from his mouth. 

We allow people to live in the city, but the government has no power over what happens. They don’t have the right to imprison people at all, let alone because of how their voice looks. 

We’ve taken aspects from both worlds, we still have advanced technology found in the compound, but it’s not easily accessible and commonly used. If you wish to not have phones or any electronic devices, you can simply live off the grid, which sounds quite appealing. 

Right now everything is in my face, with media coverage and people wanting to know my story, but I don’t care about my story. I’ve been living my story for years. I don’t want a story. I want my little kid life back.

“I don’t want to be here anymore.” I say to Camella one day.

“What do you mean Cadence?” She asks.

“I mean this place is weighing on my mental health. Don’t get me wrong, I love what we’ve done, how we’ve made a difference, but the world needs time to heal. It doesn’t need me anymore.”

“What are you suggesting that you want to do Cadence? What’s best for you?”

“That’s the problem Camella, what I think is best for me scares me. I don’t want to do it but at the same time I know it will help.”

“Don’t worry about anything but how it will make you feel. What’s your idea?”

“I think I want to live off the grid. Like what we did in the cabin. No radio, no phones, no genetic modification or memory serums to worry about. Just the woods, a home and maybe a dog.”

“That sounds like the plot of some cheesy movie. With your luck you’d get roped into some crazy adventure, like a sequel.”

“I don’t think I can handle any more sequels, I’m ready for my happy ever after.”

“Yeah, that does sound nice, but sadly life isn’t like a book, you don’t get happy ever afters, even if you do deserve it.”

“So, back on topic, you don’t think I’m crazy for wanting to run away? You aren’t mad?”

“Why would I be mad that you want to run away, to be honest if you wanted to stay in this emotional rollercoaster world I would be concerned.”

So now we have the next question, do I tell everyone what I’m doing and where I’m going, or do I disappear quietly into the night.

I think about when we thought Roy had taken on a new identity, a new persona in a different place. I remember how it felt, like a pit in my stomach, like a part of me was ripped apart from the rest. Not only did I hurt because of Roy and what he did to me, but I hurt because I saw how much everyone else was hurt. They were hurt because he left in the night, with only a note. He hadn't shared his pain, and I don’t want to do that again. 

I waved goodbye after thanking Camella for her insight and found Lux, Lilac, Isla, Paityn, Akira and Diyah all together in some lab.

I’ve gotten better at navigating this place, it’s like even though I was gone for so long, my feet remember more than my mind does. 

Akira is sitting in a lab chair peering at her computer as the rest are lounging around.

“I have something to tell you.” I say and they all turn towards me.

“What is it?” Diyah asks, concern plaguing her usual smile.

“I don’t know how to say this, and you guys know I care for you all dearly, but I have to leave, and become unreachable, untouchable, for a while.”

“What!” Lux exclaimed.

“But we just got you back!” Lilac says jumping up from the stool she stole.

“That sounds about right.” Isla muttered.

Isla hasn’t recovered from all the death she’s witnessed.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“Well, that sounds like you Cadence. You come, then leave, then come back. You make it impossible for people to hate you because you come back at weak moments, and then leave at just the right time to break us. Can’t say I’m surprised.”

No one dares to correct her, tell her she’s out of line, it’s either because they secretly agree with her, or because they're too afraid of her to say something.

“I obviously haven't gotten the chance to get to know you very well” Paityn begins.

All of the government workers besides Diyah have no idea they knew me. I have memories of the challenges, they have memories of meeting me as a hero. That’s one of the reasons I have to get out. Vaeh was right, this is a cage.

I walk away before I can hear more unwanted opinions and go to find more friends I may never see again.

I find Zabrina, Elson, Sanderson, and Roy together playing cards in the dorms.

Elson’s personality has changed a lot since he sacrificed his memories for us. He’s more timid, acts more how we act then how he did. He’s not confident in the way he moves anymore, he apologises when others are at fault, he doesn’t make suggestions. It’s as if he refuses to act as his hidden counterpart did.

I try to surround myself with Elson as much as possible, not in a way that causes me pain, but I feel as if I surround myself with the pain, it will stop hurting. It’s like when you use a knife, it still cuts and hurts, but each time it gets duller and duller. 

“Hey Cadence!” Elson says once he spots me over the cards in his hands.

He has an innocent smile on his face, the others look tired and worn out. 

Before I can say anything I hear a voice on the other side of the room.

“Someone’s in the building with a weapon.” A young man said calmly.

His hair is an overgrown black fluffy mop on his head, his hair covering his eyes. I’ve seen him around, but he never talks.

“I was told to go around and tell everyone not to leave their rooms.” He says then walks away.

“When can we leave?” Zabrina asks, scrambling to her feet.

“When there’s an announcement. Be prepared to sleep here though. You guys are lucky you're in the rooms with beds, some people are gonna be sleeping in the labs.”

He doesn’t give us a second glance before going to tell the next group to stay.

“Why does everyone care so much about an unwanted visitor?” Elson asks.

“Cadence, maybe you should go check it out.” Roy says and Sanderson lights up.

“Yeah! No one tells you what to do.” Sanderson exclaims, jumping up to his feet and stretching out his arms towards me.

I take his arms and bring him back to the floor and plop down next to him, making sure to take a good peek at everyone's cards.

“Nah, I’m done playing hero.” I say and I wink at Elson.

He gives me a confused look, but he smiles, and I know sometimes it’s ok to be confused. It’s ok to be left in the dark. You don't always have to control the torch or even see it, as long as someone you trust has it.

I have Elson's torch.

February 09, 2023 14:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.