0 comments

Friendship Romance Teens & Young Adult

Argh, this problem just does not have any solution, why even I’m trying to find one, I’m never going to find the just perfect solution. This is the sentence Arya has been speaking on loop since her first interaction with a real problem. Her friends have always helped her overcome the dilemma of every problem but when you are in a situation, which only you know how it feels and you are totally incapable of explaining it to someone, then the problem solving people of our lives become helpless. So did Arya’s when she faced a situation she never expected to be in. She did not know how to explain her problem to her close ones. In fact she herself never pretty understood her problem. This is what happens when the best person you have in your life becomes the best person you had in your life, when your heart breaks or love becomes hate. Loving someone and hating someone, there is not much difference between these two. When you appreciate someone as it is, with all their flaws, it is love and when you no more accept their flaws it becomes hate, the same attributes which seemed cute and funny in the beginning seems to be rude and inappropriate or childish. See my point now? The line between this is so fine to notice.

When one turns to be still in love and one has crossed the line suddenly, it moves the one who is still holding it. Same happened with Arya when her relationship ended; suddenly, after immeasurable good time spent and memories created. It all began unnoticeably and ended suddenly. They never actually proposed each other but they were in an unnamed relation the whole time. Pratik actually confessed his feelings to Arya, when he no longer could hide them. Arya rather was a solution less problematic girl who just recited her favorite sentence in her mind, what would happen if she said yes and what would happen if she said the opposite. The thoughts were juggling in her mind and it’s hard to keep juggling things but it’s harder to stop them without letting them fall. She just due to her this little but complex problem led to an indecision which she is regretting till now because it confused Pratik, if she loved her or not but her later behavior have led Pratik to believe that she loves her too. But the lack of an absolute answer was surely making things doubtful for Pratik.

So for now they were not in a relationship; they pretended and assumed themselves, but they were in an unnamed relationship which they themselves didn’t know. Though they were still good, best friends and closer than before a seed of doubt was being planted in both of their hearts and we know once something is planted it is destined to grow. The doubt was growing and one day it shall not be able to get contained in their hearts. Arya always feared about this day coming and this fear was the reason of her indecision.

This habit of indecision would always keep her awake during nights, she thinks about the endless possibilities of things happening in a different reality and with different decisions. This process would have no impact to the things that have already happened and have only a little if any impact on the things that are going to happen. But it had a huge impact on Arya, always after her midnights spent on endless thoughts she never felt any better, it just made things worse and she was just digging herself deeper in the habit of indecision, over thinking and self doubt. This brought no good but instead ruined everything that could have been far better without all this confusion. Pratik and she could be sure of their future and everything else that has ever got ruined was just because of her lack of efficiency in taking a decision and yes this is what happens when you don’t have the courage to take the risk that comes with the good decision if it is not really a good one.

Arya was so close to Pratik that anyone who knew them both would bet upon them being together in a relationship but they themselves were not confident enough to accept this. This on every instance would make them think twice if they were in a relationship or not. They became brittle at this point; one stroke and this bond would break down to pieces, small and shattered. The lack of a real answer was making them more and more brittle and the stroke was not expected until it came uninvited. Pratik felt like he was a mere toy for Arya, she would play with it until she gets pleasure and dump him when she think she is now bored of it. This was the plant that has been planted as a small seed knowingly or unknowingly by Arya herself. And it was exactly during this time when the plant was fresh and growing another girl told her feelings to Pratik. She was also her friend since a long time and she was sure that she has fallen in true love with Pratik despite knowing that he had Arya as his first priority and love. Pratik knew how bad it feels when your love does not want to accept you. He knew how worse the situation can get if he overall denied any answer at all. He knew that Arya was never sure of him. He knew that even if Arya was not sure of him, she loved him. He knew that he had to think of himself too. He knew that he only liked this new girl but was tired of always being the trying one. He knew that Arya’s reaction to this would be fierce. He knew that this girl would be heartbroken even before her heart is attached. He knew that what brings him happiness was making people happy and this new girl would be much happier, satisfied and will feel loved.

It all would have been much better and clear for both Arya and Pratik if she would have made a clear decision and lived up to its effects and consequences rather than living in a lifelong regret. Now neither does she have Pratik nor another chance to make the right decision, everything was ruined now.

December 04, 2020 17:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.