0 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Teens & Young Adult

(Hello again! You look great today! So, I'm thinking about starting a blog website again, but from a different platform. If you'd like that please like and comment and follow. If you have any ideas I'm open. Thank you to all my followers! I was unsure of really starting up again, but I'm pretty sure that in a few weeks I'll go back to my old posting schedule. That was like five times a week. So, yeah. Like and comment and follow for more. I actually wasn't planning on posting this story, but then I saw this prompt and I thought it was perfect. Thank you and I'll stop now.)

Harrison was a reporter for his university. Everybody liked and would listen to him. He was so popular, everyone knew him. But little did the campus know, there was someone among them that was no good. He was famous for robbing the apartments, and this man had been keeping an eye on Harrison to be his next prey. Waiting, lurking. Planning.

Last time he had seen the man, Harrison had been asleep. He would never know. He had never known. The man had been a figment of all who passed him. Another face in the crowd. Another person. Harrison thought the same thing that everybody else thought when they saw him-nothing. No one ever looked at him or asked for his name. He had a very regular job, and was alright at it.

Harrison had been popular his entire life. He had lots of siblings, and he had a great upbringing. When he went to school, he excelled socially and got by with his grades. Everybody loved him. When he got to college, he was going through a two-year curriculum and all that knew him liked him.

As he was out into the world, he got by just fine. Knew everyone in his work and home building. He was always asked for and had quite a few promotions. And the man noticed him. He was one of the rare people who Harrison did not know that he had encountered. Simply because, they never encountered while he was awake.

The last time he had seen the man, he had been asleep in an airport, waiting for his flight. The man passed him and said nothing to him, just went by. And Harrison never knew. But tonight was different. There was a reason the man made himself so invisible. It was because he was a criminal.

Of course, the university tried to hide it. Their biggest scandal, that they produced a criminal. The only reason he had gotten in was because he was the principal's nephew. And the only person that knew, was Harrison. He kept it tight, no one could know. But who the robber was, he had no clue.

Harrison had been asleep for a few hours when the man broke into his home.

"Hello Harrison," The man said, awaking Harrison.

"Hello...I'm deeply sorry, my brain is a bit fuzzy right now...who are you?"

"I'm Keith. I've come to save you," he said, as he always scripted for himself. Instead of looking scared and frightened, Harrison looked sleepy. He brought out his phone, typed something in. He put the phone down again after a minute or two.

"Why? I'm in no danger. But thank you. Would you like some coffee?" Harrison asked politely, not at all phased by the stranger in his home. It had not been the first time this had happened, and the times it had he always made great friends with the person.

"No." Keith said gruffly.

"Alright. Well, I'll see you home then if you live in the building," Harrison offered. He was very friendly, to all.

"No...I don't live here," Keith said. This was not how his plan was supposed to go. He was supposed to be freaking out, but instead was perfectly calm. He was unsure of what to do, because he didn't think Harrison would react like this.

"Well, would you like me to phone my friend? She's a taxi driver." Harrison was making small talk. He moved around his apartment, going to the door, then the kitchen. Making a cup of tea. He was so at home, not at all upset at the break in.

"No, no. I should be fine. Thank you."

"What danger did you mean anyways?" Harrison pondered at last. Harrison was secretly suspicious, and was trying to make sense of his situation. At this point, Keith felt defeated. What was he to do now?

"I was here on a prank. My deepest apologies. I shall be on my way."

But then Keith found out that maybe Harrison had been putting up a facade all along. Harrison knew what he was doing. Harrison knew all. And he had a feeling this would happen to him, his plan already in perfect motion.

"Oh, no. Do stay. I've phoned another company. To take you, well, you could guess where," Harrison said, like he was discussing the weather. Keith went blank.

"No, that won't be necessary, I'm really-" He started, but was unable to finish.

"No. You will stay until I say you can leave."

"What? You're crazy! Why?"

"I know who you are. And the police are on the way." There was a bell. A knock. Harrison went to the door with Keith. He opened the door, to reveal a bunch of cops. "Oh, nevermind. You can go now." Keith looked at the officers, who looked happy to see him. They had been looking for this bandit for a long time.

They escorted him out, and took him away. Keith had a trial a few months later, and was found guilty. He was put behind bars for ten years, for he had been robbing many, many houses. He had to give up all the stuff he had robbed.

When at last he got out of jail, he saw Harrison. He was reporting. The headline read, "Scandal, Principal was fired after robbing the school." Harrison was comparing the principal to Keith. And Keith knew what was coming to his uncle.

And Keith saw Harrison one last time. He was alive, and well. Was about to board a plane, when they saw each other from the corner of their eyes. And Keith nodded at Harrison. And Harrison nodded back.

November 04, 2023 22:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.