5 comments

General

Blank. Nothing but blank. Whenever she was trying to focus it would suddenly strike her like a flash of lightning there one moment and gone the next and having a bad memory was also a problem for trying to come up with ideas. Hannah cursed herself again for not being able to remember. What was it that she was dreaming about? Honestly, the dream was so crazy and hazy it was a surprise to her that she could even remember any of it. She sat at her desk with a small notepad and pencil and a blank word document sparkling the pure plain colour at her as she stared at the screen again trying to put together the few notes she had of her dream. A story idea would come to her and be gone the next, to try and remember she forced herself to carry the little notebook with her at all times. One sentence is all she wrote and once again it wasn't very much help. The sentence remained confusing and had no meaning to it. It was pretty much a bunch of words thrown together. Kids, escape nightmare and Tower? She looked inquisitively at the four words before closing her eyes and groaning. What was it that she dreamt about that made her wake up so suddenly? It seemed so real and exhausting all she could remember was a lot of running. She stared at the screen with hope the words would write themselves. A minute passed, well at least she tried but willing the words to unite on the page in front of her was not working. Leaning back in her comfortable seat, she closed her eyes and tried to see if she would be able to return to her dream. It had barely been a few minutes before she opened her eyes and looked down at the page again. 

Come on, what does this mean she imagined each word in her head the first two words were relatively easy to picture. These kids were probably trying to escape something. It was the next two words that she was unable to think of a reason she'd have written them. The nightmare could mean anything, were they escaping from a nightmare? Or did they make a mistake along with their escape and found themselves in even more trouble. But what in the world was tower supposed to mean, once again it could be a good or bad thing. From what she gathered the words were supposed to be a bunch of kids were trying to escape from a dangerous situation and had to get out of a tower or maybe the tower was a safe place for them. Well might as well try, it would be impossible to remember what the dream was exactly. Remembering the dream was becoming extremely annoying. Hannah decided to at least start another story she would probably never finish. Still writing stories with no ending was fun since it would mean there could be endless ways for the story to end. Besides, it was too much of a nightmare trying to remember what happened. Now for another difficult question. How to begin she banged her head on the table, everyone told her that Hannah always had a big imagination so why was it that when Hannah needed to, she couldn't imagine a single useful way to start. She closed her eyes again just about to begin writing. A force stronger than a black hole destroying the entire universe felt like it just hit her. The tower the kids weren't trying to escape sometimes dangerous they were trying to escape from the tower of nightmares. Honestly, it was a place Hannah was always at. It was a nightmare for her to remember things. It seemed that she along with a few other kids around her age were taking shelter in this tower before they realised their nightmares were coming true. No wonder she couldn't remember anything. Since the worst thing for her was her memory even if she wanted to she wouldn't be able to remember anything. Nothing would have happened and if anything did the tower would have made her forget about it. That was why the tower was so much of a nightmare for her, But what about the other kids what kind of nightmare should I give them, Getting the base of the story was the most important to her, she could expand and give detail to it later. It was all slowly coming together like a switch in her head had suddenly decided to turn on. Completely overwhelmed her with ideas and details of every little thing that little moment of inspiration of. Thank goodness for her bad memory. Of course, she wasn't certain if this was exactly how the story went but at least she was stuck in a sandpit now. 

She looked at the story she managed to write time had flown by as her fingers worked smoothly across the keys finding each key it almost felt like she was playing the piano and was trying to keep the tempo of the song as each word just shot into her head. But it still felt like something was missing Hannah glared at the almost finished story desperately trying to think it was quite obvious what was missing and trying to fix it was like trying to pour sand on water and make the sand float, it wasn't working. Perfect, she had finally remembered what the story was about and that it ended with the main character, who manages to save all of their friends. Just like in any other story, they all manage to get out of the tower. Thinking about the details she decided to make six other characters each facing a different nightmare. Then the main character would have to go into each of their nightmare's and get them out of this supposedly cursed tower now all she had to do is figure out how the kids got to the tower in the first place. Hannah paused and stared intensely at the screen. She quickly read over everything before smacking her head down on her desk she had no clue how the kids even got to this cursed tower in the first place and secondly what where a bunch of kids doing that would have led to them even thinking of going into this tower. The story made no sense, so Hannah just closed her eyes just like she did the first time.

June 19, 2020 11:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

13:45 Jul 18, 2020

At first, I was a little overwhelmed by the lack of paragraphs and all of text so tight (especially since I often make very short paragraphs) but it ended up fitting really well with the writer's block and inter monologue.

Reply

Reannah De Souza
13:47 Jul 22, 2020

Thanks for the feedback, I am actually practising adding for paragraphs and punctuation since I tend to get distracted and just write and write. I love letting my imagination run wild but I have been told I need to remember punctuation. I will keep in mind that I still need to break it down. Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
16:57 Jul 05, 2020

Mind checking out my new story? Thanks.

Reply

Reannah De Souza
13:44 Jul 22, 2020

Sure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
16:57 Jul 05, 2020

👏👏

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.