3 comments

Fiction

Startled, she blinked away the remnants of her dream, struggling to make sense of her still unfamiliar surroundings. The room was cloaked in darkness, and the only source of illumination was the soft glow of the moon filtering through the curtains. The plinking sound persisted, a rhythmic disturbance in the stillness of the night.

She groaned in annoyance, reluctantly raised her head from the pillow of the four-poster bed, and switched on the bedside lamp. It was 3:19 in the morning. Groaning again, she slid her bare feet onto the coolness of the hardwood floor and peered around searching for the source of the incessant noise that had awakened her. Her eyes, still blurred from sleep, soon adjusted to the brightness of the lamp and she caught sight of a black figure behind the writing desk which stood in front of the window.

PLINK…PLINK...PLINK.

The sound echoed as the black figure continued to play the repetitious tone.

“Serenity!” She whispered a shout. “What are you doing? Do you realize it’s past three in the morning?” She admonished the sleek black cat whose only response was an annoyed glance in her direction for having interrupted kitty playtime.

Courtney stood from the bed and approached the now sullen-looking cat who knew she had done something not too pleasing to her mistress. Serenity crept from behind the writing desk and sat down. Her four little white paws, resembling waiter’s gloves, were the only variance from her otherwise midnight black coat.

“Meew.” Serenity offered a soft apologetic response to Courtney’s frustrated gaze.

“I should have named you Gloves as everyone suggested. No! Instead, I decided to call you Serenity. Now I realize that you are anything BUT serene!” Courtney whisper-shouted again.

Courtney’s eyes softened as she met the gaze of Serenity’s brilliant green ones. Serenity stood, turned, looked back at Courtney, and led her to the writing desk. The little black cat slinked behind the desk and stood on her back haunches. As she did so, she swept a white-footed paw against a small object dangling from the back of the desk. Courtney instantly recognized the plinking sound that had disturbed her sleep. It was a key. It was an old key, small and ornate, hanging by a silken ribbon that seemed to have weathered the ravages of time.

“Well, what have you found here?” Courtney, not addressing the precocious feline, but only as a query unto herself. 

“Meew.” Replied Serenity with some displeasure, her feline instincts offended by her mistress's obvious attempt at claiming the little key as her own discovery.

“Aww, sweet Serenity! What have you found now?” Courtney praised her little companion as she carefully moved the desk to retrieve the dangling key.

“Meew.” Serenity responded excitedly.

Courtney examined the key’s position and realized that it must have been housed in the top drawer beneath the writing surface of the small desk, its ribbon now caught between the back of the drawer and the desk frame. She pulled at the drawer but the stuck ribbon was wedged such that the drawer remained closed. Courtney crouched down and simultaneously jiggled the drawer from the bottom while pulling the handle at the front. 

PLINK.

The small brass key hit the surface of the floor only to be immediately attacked by a pouncing cat who proceeded to swat the key about the floor.

“Serenity! Stop that! We’ll look at your new toy together.” Courtney said as she grasped the object by its ribbon rescuing it from Serenity’s playful torture.

Upon closer examination, Courtney determined that the key was too small to be meant for the lock of a regular door. Rather, it appeared to be a match for a small box or safe. The patina on the brass suggested that the key had not been used for a very long time and the faded silk ribbon must have been the color of bright crimson at some time long, long ago. Now fully awake, her curiosity rising to a level almost rivaling that of her cat, Courtney quickly donned her robe and slippers and dropped the key into the robe’s pocket.

“C’mon Serenity. We’ve got some investigating to do.” Courtney didn’t need to encourage her little friend as the two of them stepped out of the bedroom door and into the upper balcony of the Ravenswood Manor.

**********

At only 35 years of age, Courtney had risen the corporate ladder quickly and had achieved astonishing success in the advertising industry. She was driven and motivated. She had everything she could possibly ever want except for a sense of true accomplishment. Her life was a crowded one, filled with the unending effort to please her Fortune 500 clients and the constant obligation to attend all the right parties to gain more ‘A-Listers’ to add to her success and that of her firm. She had become the proverbial hamster running on the same wheel in the same big city that provided her financial comfort but enslaved her in an urban prison. She had little time for dating but, when she did, she was left disappointed and even more drained. On the rare occasion that she met a man who she hoped might show some potential, it turned out that she had just met another hamster on a different wheel. Sadly, it took the death of her beloved father to slap her to her senses. None of this was real. Her life, her success, and her ambition had no real meaning. She was defeated by the system.

Two days after the reading of her father’s will Courtney announced that she was going to take a leave of absence from the firm. The CEO of the agency agreed that she needed some much-deserved rest and that the firm would take good care of her clients until her return. Several days into her self-inflicted respite, she began to grow restless as she watched the bustling city streets from her Upper East Side townhouse. She wondered if her decision to take a leave of absence was the right one. It was so quiet inside her home. Even the ever-present thoughts of the best approach to a new ad campaign were silenced. There was no one to talk to, no frenzied brainstorming sessions with colleagues. There were no urgent deadlines to meet and no ultra-posh parties to attend. She was ensconced in the serene environment that disconnected her from the outside world and a sudden sense of loneliness came over her. Perhaps she should just go back to work. She pondered this thought for only a brief moment then pushed it from her mind. She looked out the window again and determined that the word ‘bustle’ was a euphemism for cacophonous disharmony. What she needed was a companion. That is, she needed a companion of the non-argumentative kind. A bird? A dog? A cat? Certainly NOT a hamster! Ignoring the urge to second guess her impulsive thought of taking on a pet, she pulled on her raincoat and stepped outside into the New York drizzle.

“569 Columbus Avenue, Upper West Side.” She told the cabbie.

They arrived at Cuddly Creatures in relatively good time despite the traffic and drizzle. But, because of the drizzle and the potential for heavier autumn precipitation later, she asked the cabbie to keep the meter running and wait for her. He nodded in agreement as she stepped from the cab into the pet shop. She emerged from the shop twenty minutes later with a pet carrier out of which peered the precious black face of a kitten. The shopkeeper followed her out and placed her purchase of cat accouterments onto the seat beside her.

Back at the townhouse, Courtney delighted at the little kitten’s exploration of every inch of the spacious new place. Ignoring the array of toys Courtney had bought for her, the ebony black creature began to find little items that had fallen behind various pieces of furniture, withdrawing them with her tiny white paws, which were the only parts of her (aside from her brilliant green eyes) that weren’t black as night.

The remainder of the late afternoon slipped away quickly as the two of them soon became fast friends. The empty feeling of loneliness she felt had been relinquished by just one small cuddly, and ever-entertaining cat. As the sun faded from the New York skyline, dusk became darkness and drizzle became rain. The air was chilly and crisp and the colorful autumn leaves of Central Park quaked in a steady breeze. 

“Brrr, Little One. What do you think about a nice, cozy fire?” She suggested as she went to the gas fireplace and touched the ignition switch. The whole room was transformed with the fire’s amber glow, its heat banishing the dampness and the chill.

Courtney prepared a light but satisfying meal of lobster bisque soup, salad, and a glass of Malbec for herself and a healthy amount of pâté de foie gras and milk for the Little One. Courtney cleaned the dishes, topped up her glass of wine, and returned to the living room, Little One on her heels. Courtney sat down on the sofa in front of the fire and, without hesitation, the sweet kitten joined her and quickly nestled in her lap with a contented purr. As Courtney gently stroked the soft fur of her new companion, she felt an overwhelming sense of peace. The din of the constant traffic noise outside was replaced by the soft murmur of the purring, cuddling creature on her lap. The stressful, hurried lifestyle she had led for so long seemed a faded memory as she relished in the tranquility of the moment. She looked down at the sleeping kitten and with a grateful smile she whispered: 

“Serenity. That is what I will call you. Serenity. Sweet Serenity.”

She awoke before dawn to an unfamiliar sensation. As she rubbed the sleep from her eyes, she recognized the tiny white paw that had been tapping at her nose.

“Serenity! Sweet Serenity! What are you doing up so early? It isn’t even dawn.” Courtney sat up, took Serenity in her arms, and went to peer out of the window to the street. Pre-dawn was always the best time of day. The streets were much quieter, as the city had not yet fully awakened to another dog-eat-dog day. Soon, the almost peaceful atmosphere of pre-dawn gave way to the monotonous groan of urbanity. Courtney’s instinct to check her emails at first light was replaced by the spontaneous desire to actually get away. She had experienced tranquility for the first time in a long time and wanted to savor that experience for as long as she could.

She made herself a cup of coffee, gave Serenity a bowl of milk and some gourmet kitten morsels, and headed for her study. She opened her laptop, ignored the unread emails, went to her favorite search engine, and entered: ‘Countryside Vacation Homes for Rent – England’.

*********

Three days later, Courtney and Serenity stood at the front door of Ravenswood Manor. It wasn’t as overwhelmingly huge as many other manor houses in West Sussex, but glorious nonetheless. Courtney used the combination the rental estate agent, Mr. Thornberry had given her to unlock the key box beside the front door. As soon as they entered the manor house, Serenity immediately began her investigation of the surroundings that would be her home for the next six weeks. Certain that the curious creature would occupy herself with her new amusement, Courtney perused the house room-by-room, upstairs and down. As promised, the kitchen and larder were fully stocked with the provisions she had requested, and the wine rack was replete with her favorite vintages. All was as expected and more so. 

Courtney and Serenity settled in nicely and enjoyed exploring the manor and its surrounding wooded forest and gently rolling hills for the next few days. It was glorious. The bombastic noise of the city had been left far behind and what lay ahead was expected to be a delightful surprise. It was pre-dawn on the fourth day at Ravenswood when Serenity had discovered the key.

Now standing on the upstairs balcony Courtney was determined to find a lock to fit the key. But her search could wait until after at least one cup of coffee and Serenity’s milk and pre-dawn kitty kibble. What a way to start an almost morning! Twenty minutes passed before Courtney and Company began their search.

“Ok, Serenity. I know how good you are at discovering things. Now, let’s get on to find the mate to this key!”

The two of them looked in every corner, every shelf, every cupboard, the dining room, living room, hall entry, study, library, bedrooms, bathrooms, corridors, everything! Everything! But nothing could be found. Exasperated, they sat upon a middle step of the large staircase, futile had been their search. Courtney began to wonder if she had approached the brink of insanity when her thoughts were interrupted by a loud and emphatic

“Meeeew!” Serenity’s snow-white paw scratched at the wall underneath a portrait painting of an incredibly handsome man.

“Meeeew, meeeew, meeeew!” Serenity insisted until her mistress acquiesced and stood to look more closely at the portrait. There, on the handsome man’s lapel was pinned a fine ribbon of bright red crimson.

Courtney grasped the framed portrait, withdrew it from the wall, and stood amazed at the small, locked box hidden behind the piece of art. She lowered the painting to the floor, retrieved the key from her pocket, and fitted it into the keyhole. With a small amount of effort, the key turned to unhinge the mysteries that lay behind. Inside the hidden cubby hole was only a small diary. Courtney took the leather-bound tome in her hands, sat back upon the stair, and began to read.

The tears streamed down her face as Courtney read the account of a young wife, unable to reach her husband. He had been sent to war. The Second World War. She had written him countless letters but had received no response. She had told him of the impending arrival of their first-born child. She expressed the joy of the new baby but was distraught by his absence and lack of word from him.

Courtney continued reading until she reached the very last entry dated 16th of June 2011 it read:

‘My Dearest Edward,

I know you will never read this, as all of my thoughts and love for you have been recorded in my little book. Perhaps someday you will come to know the unending love for you I hold in my heart and that I will see you again in Heaven. 

With My Undying Love,

Your Eleanor

Courtney closed the diary, replaced it in its hiding place, re-hung the portrait, and went up to her bedroom. Serenity followed silently.

Courtney could not sleep as the images of the handsome man in the portrait lingered in her mind and sabotaged her dreams. What a loss! What a tragedy!

**********

The six weeks of her solitude and peace were coming to a close. In three days, Courtney would be back in the city and striving to achieve the next big win on the advertising game show. She dreaded the thought as she lay awake at precisely 3:19 in the morning. Serenity, unbothered by the early pre-dawn hour lay comfortably snuggled in the curve of Courtney’s hip. Courtney waited. She thought and waited, contemplating the ramifications of her potential actions.

At 9:00 that morning after having consumed at least two cups of strong coffee, she fed Serenity her breakfast and pulled her cell phone from her handbag.

“Mr. Thornberry? This is Courtney O’Malley, at Ravenswood Manor.” 

“Oh, yes, quite so, Miss O’Malley how may I be of assistance?” He responded helpfully.

“Well, I was only wondering if I might extend my stay here. That is if it would be possible?” She replied with a hopeful but questioning tone.

“Yes, of course. I shall put in a call to Mr. Ethan Dartworth, the owner of the property, and inquire if his schedule will accommodate.” 

“Thank you, Mr. Thornberry.” Courtney rang off the line.

Courtney waited anxiously for word from Mr. Thornberry for the remainder of the day. None came. Reluctantly, she began gathering All of their belongings, packing them neatly in the suitcases. Her heart was heavy with the thought of leaving this enchanting place, but she knew she had to return to the so-called real world. As Serenity moped about, sensing her mistress’ distress, she began removing certain items already packed in the luggage.

“Oh, Serenity! Stop that! You are making a difficult situation so much more difficult!”  Courtney dropped to the sofa, her hands cupping tear-filled eyes.

The doorbell sounded.

Courtney stood to her feet, wiped the tears away, and stared at Serenity who stood at the front door, her tiny white paw extended as if in an attempt to open it. 

Annoyed, Courtney rushed through the living room and abruptly opened the door to the unannounced visitor. 

“Miss O’Malley? Courtney O’Malley?” The handsome dark-haired green-eyed stranger asked.

“Well…who might you be?” She responded with defiance.

“I’m Ethan Dougherty, the owner of Ravenswood Manor. I understand you would like to extend your stay.” He stated.

“Uh…well, yes. I would.” Her voice became frail at the sight of him. It was Edward from Eleanor’s diary! The very image of that wonderfully handsome man!

“You may stay as long as you wish, Courtney. It is my pleasure to have you and Serenity here.” He gave her a warm smile as he touched his lips with his fingers, throwing a gesture of a kiss toward her as he began his leave. But as he was nearly out of sight, he turned his head and quietly said:

“I’ll see you soon. I promise.”

November 18, 2023 03:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

David McCahan
21:36 Nov 22, 2023

I enjoyed this, Sharon. I’m left wondering if the man is a descendant or a ghost and what his intentions are, good or evil. I like stories that leave an ending somewhat ambiguous. I scrolled back to see if I missed a mention of Serenity to the property manager. The man knowing the cats name gave me a chill. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Sharon Dorey
04:38 Nov 23, 2023

Thank you, David for your comments and for your taking the time to read the story of Courtney and Serenity. Perhaps you shall discover the secrets they hold (or have yet to uncover) in the next episode of the mystery. With thanks for your input. ~ Sharon

Reply

David McCahan
13:58 Nov 23, 2023

I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.