2 comments

Fiction Mystery Science Fiction

With a gleam of excitement in his eye, archaeologist Humphrey Abbot strokes his pride and joy, a massive black mustache. He has gathered a group of financiers in his mahogany paneled library to persuade them to invest in an expedition to Eygpt.  After the brandy’s been poured and the cigars lit, Abbot clears his throat.  “Gentlemen, I have invited you here this evening to tell you of a remarkable discovery I have made while researching the Great Pyramid of Giza.   I found the following notation in an 1838 book, “Giza-What We Know,” by the late archaeologist Wilbur Thomas.  I quote, “I have come across an interesting detail in the building of the Great Pyramid, also known as the Pyramid of Khufu.  It alludes to an L-shaped underground chamber running parallel to the pyramid itself.  The nature of the chamber is unknown, and its exact location is a bit of a mystery.  The only way to gain access is by pressing a hidden stone that acts as a lever.  This lever stone is identical to all the other stones in the main passageway.  Thus making it most difficult to find.”

Abbot adjusts the knot of his silk-crested navy blue Oxford College tie.  “There you have it, gentlemen, the reason for this meeting.  I wish to raise funds for traveling, permits to enter Khufu and bankroll for my two assistants, Barrows and Clark.  I’ll also need funds for equipment and to hire workers.  Just think of it, sirs!  We’d be the first to uncover a never-before-seen chamber hidden for centuries!  What mysteries does it hold?  What is its purpose?  And, of course, what will we add to history?” A well-dressed gentleman to the right of the room removes his monocle and holds it up to attract Abbot’s attention.

Abbot addresses him.  “Yes, Lord Bellington.”

“If I were to invest in your venture, what exactly could I expect in return?”

Abbot taps his lower lip with his finger.  “Ahh.  I see your lordship.  You would like to know what your reward would be for investing.  It will be your honor to present our findings to the Queen of England!  Not a bad contact to have in Buckingham Palace, eh?” A smattering of low laughter floats through the room.  After further discussion, an agreement is struck, and Professor Humphrey Abbot smiles broadly while making plans to leave for Eygpt.

                                          …

Exiting the Cario airport, Abbot consults with his man, Phillip Barrows, who manages the ground crew and living quarters.  Barrows has worked with Abbot for about ten years.  He’s six feet tall and handsome with wavy, sun-bleached blonde hair.  Abbot tells him to contact Abanoub Zewail, a man Abbot has previously employed.  He is to provide tents, a good cook, and around ten trustworthy laborers.

 Timmy Clark is a former Abbot student whose primary function is to be Abbot’s secretary and go-for.  Clark is a twenty-two-year-old American, somewhat shorter than Barrows, with an easy disposition.  He is also somewhat of a ladies’ man, something Abbot intends to warn him about here in Eygpt.  Abbot tells Clark to go to the Pyramids of Giza Visitor Center to see if he might obtain a permit to explore The Great Pyramid.  With orders given, Abbot rubs his hands together in excitement.

The encampment is a buzz of action.  As tents are erected and electric lines are laid, Professor Abbott travels into town to consult with his old friend and fellow archaeologist, Professor Shakir Arax.

Abbot is greeted by a short, white-haired man in his late sixties.  “Humphrey, my friend, please come in!  I’m anxious to learn more about your discovery.  Dalal!  Bring some hot black coffee to the study, please.” Turning to Abbot, he smiles.  “Nothing is better for thinking than a good cup of black coffee.” He taps his temple.  “It sharpens the mind.” 

Entering the study, Arax motions Abbot to a chair as he continues to the massive book collection behind his desk.  In a faraway voice deep in concentration, he asks, “Did you say it was by Wilbur Thomas?”

“Yes!  Its title is “Giza-What We Know.” Arax scans for a few more seconds before exclaiming, “Ah!  Here it is!” Standing on his tip-toes, he stretches to the third shelf and retrieves the book.  Puffing, he walks to the table.  “Humphrey, I would have reached up there ten years ago and easily gotten this book!  It seems the older I get, the shorter I become!” Both men laugh.

Abbot shows Arax the passage in question.  Arax closes his eyes to think.  Shaking his head, he opens his eyes and lifts his eyebrows.  “I can’t remember having heard of such a chamber before.  Perhaps it’s recorded on some old papyrus that describes the pyramid’s building.  I’ll get them.” Arax returns with an armful of scrolls and gently starts unfurling them on the table.  The two men ponder over them but to no avail.  Arax is the first to speak.  “I don’t find anything about an addition or exterior chamber, do you, Humphrey?”

“I’m sorry to say it, but I don’t, Shakir.  Thank you for all your help.  I’ll have to find another way somehow.”

Arax strokes his small, grey goatee.  “I was just thinking.  Perhaps you might try remote sensing.  It’s a technique where you climb to a very high place to see all the surrounding landscape and look for abnormalities such as depressions.”

Abbot pulls on the corner of his mustache.  “Hmm.  Perhaps if I rent an airplane, I could reach an altitude to see a depression like that.  The ground is packed hard enough from all the tourists and such.  Yes!  I think it might work.  Thank you, Shakir.  You’ve been most helpful.”

“Think nothing of it.  I’m more than happy to help.  I might even come to the site in a day or two to see how the project progresses.”

“That would be wonderful, Shakir.  I’ll be looking forward to seeing you.” With that, the two men part.

                                                                  …

Professor Abbot watches the Piper Cub taxi to a stop.  Inside, he sees Timmy in a lengthy conversation with the pilot before emerging from the plane.  Timmy waves vigorously as he approaches his boss.

“Hey there, Professor.  I got some great shots, and an indent can be seen next to the pyramid!  You can see it good from the plane.”

“That’s great to hear, Timmy.  Good news indeed.  I’m looking forward to seeing the photos, but tell me.  What took you so long to get out of the plane?” Timmy looks back toward the plane, “Oh that?” Abbot looks in time to see the pilot remove her headset and long blonde hair cascade over her shoulders.  Arching his eyebrow, he side-eyes Timmy, who only grins and blushes.  “I’m meeting her tonight for dinner,” he smirks.

Abbot and Barrows look over the snapshots the next day at the site.  “It appears the length is correct, don’t you think, Phil?”

Holding a photo up for a closer look, Barrows squints.  “It’s hard to tell from this distance, but you can see that whatever it is, it is centered to the pyramid.  Will we dig straight down to it, Professor?”

“No.  It is probably enclosed, hence the need for a hidden corridor or stairway for entrance.  The main passageway is small, measuring only 3.4 feet wide and 3.8 feet high.  I’ll have to send in one man at a time with some tape.  He can mark each stone he tests with the tape before he moves to the next one.  It will be hard work, but I can think of no other way, can you?” Barrows shakes his head no.

In the meantime, Timmy obtains a GPR, a ground-penetrating radar machine.  It reveals an object approximately six feet deep under the surface of the sand.  Though quite exciting, it shows little else.  The crew even employs metal detectors but discovers nothing.

Finally, one of Abanoub’s men runs excitedly out the passageway, shouting in Arabic, “I found it!  I found it!”

Barrows and Abbot dash to the pyramid, sand flying up behind them.  Barrows stops short at the entrance.  “I think my size will slow you down, Professor.  Perhaps Timmy would be a more suitable choice for helping you now.” When Timmy arrives, Professor Abbot explains that Timmy is there to help him identify and record what they’re about to see.  The two men squat down and duck waddle into the passageway.  After laboring for about fifty feet or so, they reach the opening.  Timmy continues a few feet further before turning around to face the Professor.  “Gee whiz, Professor.  This sure is exciting.  Whoever thought there would be a chamber!  Look!  It’s a ramp!  It looks pretty steep!” 

“Yes.  That’s why we must go back.  If we were to go down there now, we’d be stuck.  We must construct a way to get back out once we’ve gone down.” 

The three men return a few hours later with a long measure of rope that has knots tied every few feet.  Abbot throws the rope down the ramp as Barrows wraps it around his arm.  Abbot then hands it to Clark.  “Well, Timmy.  Are you ready to give it a go?” Timmy’s eyes sparkle in the light of the electric torches as he smiles and salutes Professor Abbot.  “Ready as I’ll ever be, Sir.” With that, he slips off the edge of the opening and slides to the end of the ramp.  His “Aye-Hoo!” reverberates to the bottom.  Abbot shakes his head while pinching the bridge of his nose.  “Oh, that boy!” Barrows smiles and snorts.

“Timmy?  Can you see anything?”

“Yes, Professor.  There is an outline of a door.  Due to its proximity to the bottom of the ramp, I would say it pushes inward.  There are some hieroglyphics over the door, too.”

Abbot nervously strokes his mustache.  “Do you think you can read them?” 

There’s a hesitation.  “Well, I’m a little rusty, but I’ll give it a go!” All is quiet while Timmy tries to decipher the message.

Anticipation overtakes Abbot.  “Well, boy, have you discerned what it says?”

Clark’s voice wavers.  “I believe so, though it’s somewhat confusing.  It says, “Chamber of the Gods.” An imprint on the door is shaped like a strange hand.  It consists of three digits and a thumb.” Clark conforms his hand to fit the imprint and then gives it a light push.  The door glides open.  “Professor!  Come quickly!  You’ve got to see this!” Clark’s voice echos up the shaft.   

Abbot turns to Barrows.  “Give the rope to someone else and follow me.  I may need you.” Without hesitation, the sixty-seven-year-old man slides down the ramp.  Barrows arrives seconds later.  Abbot notices Clark’s face is aglow, and a strange light emits from the chamber.  Clark’s eyes are large, and his mouth slightly agape.  Abbot whispers, “Where the devil is that light coming from?” Clark gestures to Abbot with his hand proffering entrance.  “Sir, this is your discovery.  Therefore, you have the honor of entering first.” He bows slightly.

Abbot enters cautiously, glancing over the room.  He soon discovers the light is coming from the ceiling and seems to grow brighter depending on which direction you move.  “Fascinating,” he whispers.  Along the wall, there are various stations with dials and knobs and switches.  The wall at the end of the chamber is a large screen depicting an unknown section of outer space.  Stroking his mustache intensely, Abbot announces, “Gentlemen, I believe this to be a live display!”

Barrows sits in an oversized chair that sinks a little under his weight.  “Are we to believe that all those crackpots on TV are right?  Aliens really did help the ancient Egyptians?” Behind Barrows, a small screen flickers to life.  Abbot recognizes the man with the head of a hawk as the deity Ra, the sun god believed to be the creator of all other gods and humans.  It speaks.  “I see you are not Egyptians.  I will speak to you in your native tongue.  I am Ra!  By opening the chamber, you have sent a signal confirming that the time has come for us to return.  Your civilization has advanced to the time of being useful to our needs. Inform your leaders to prepare a temple of honor for us to abide in.  We are coming!”

May 24, 2024 19:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Bendickson
14:28 May 25, 2024

Is that an "ah, oh, they are coming!"? 😮 Thanks for liking my 'The Passing'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
14:42 May 30, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.