0 comments

Romance

Pete Parker was a little boy who loved music. Whenever he heard his mom put on the radio Pete ran into the kitchen and started dancing. His parents gave him a small violin and although he did not have a violin teacher he started playing and moving the strings. When he turned five his parents gave him a regular violin and they hired a teacher to help him play. When he turned seven a music teacher came to his school and talked about many instruments. When the teacher spoke about the violin Pete was sitting very quietly and listened to every word the teacher said. The teacher could see his love for that instrument and taught him to play a little song that he knew his friends would like. As he got older he started to play classical music like Chopin’s Polonaise and Handel’s Messiah.

Time passed and was now in high school. As he sat in the music room waiting for his class to come in a pretty blonde girl waked into the room and sat down next to Pete. They started a conversation as Pete introduced himself and the girl introduced herself as Katy. Katy was hoping that she would land a prominent role in the next school play which was a musical. She loved to sing and had a beautiful voice. 

They soon became quite friendly and saw each other very often and spoke to one another almost every day. They spent most of the time in the music room where their friends were playing instruments and or singing.

Pete asked Katy to the prom and they had a wonderful time. Pete looked handsome in his tux  and Katy looked beautiful in her golden dress with beautiful shiny blonde hair. She wore a beautiful corsage on her wrist. Letters were coming in from the different colleges and Pete and Katy knew they would not see each other often as Pete was accepted into Berklee College of Music in Boston and Katy was accepted into Julliard in New York City. It was a bitter sweet day as both left each other to attend their colleges.

They only saw one another during school breaks and some holidays when they returned home. They were friendly to one another but they did not show any feelings of romance.

They both graduated from their collages and they went on with their lives without much of a thought to each other.

Years went by and Pete became a popular violin player. He changed his name professionally to Peter Mann. He was hired to perform in classical symphonies as well as local orchestras. He was doing what he loved. He inspired those around him. He worked hard to reach the level he has come to. He never had time for romance. At least that was what he thought,

Kathy. on the other hand became a well-known singer. She changed her name professionally to Kate Williams. She sung in movies, on stage on Broadway and at nightclubs as well as on TV. She had just completed her first album and was so proud of herself. She was going to sing on New Years Eve at a famous night club. Pete was playing in the same orchestra where Kate was singing. 

The night began. The orchestra was on stage and Peter was the first violinist. He started to be playing in the full orchestra and then played solo in several parts. The audience loved every moment. They stood up and cheered and clapped. They finally quieted down when they took their seats.

The announcer thanked the audience for the wonderful music they heard. Then he introduced  Kate Williams. The audience went wild when Kate appeared in a long silver gown with her beautiful blonde hair shimmering on her shoulders. Peter was so engrossed in his work that he did not notice Kate at all. Once she started singing her voice sounded familiar to Peter. He, however, did not recognize her with her new name and her long beautiful hair comb.

He started thinking “Could that be Katy?” Then he started thinking more about her. During intermission he knocked on her dressing room. When she opened her door he asked “Could you be Kathy Smith a girl I loved throughout my young years? Kathy looked at the handsome man standing at her door. “Yes I am that same girl who was your girlfriend throughout our elementary and high school. Years. Come in Peter I am so happy to see you.” He came in and gave Peter a hug. They talked for a few minutes then they had to go back on stage. 

When the last note of the orchestra was ended and Kate’s last song was done they both came to Kate’s apartment where they spoke for the rest of the night.

Before Peter left they had exchanged phone numbers and addresses. Kate invited Peter to dinner the next night and they really connected again. It was just like old times. They talked, Peter played his violin and Kate sand so many of the songs they loved when they were kids.

They started dating again. When Peter was playing in Nashville. Katy took a plane to hear him play there. When Kate was singing in LA Peter arrived to hear her perform. 

Going back and forth to see each other was not so much fun. They had fallen in love and were trying hard to keep their performances closer. They decided to accept most of their work in the New York area. 

They were lucky that New York offered many opportunities for their performances and would only accept very few out of town jobs.

Their careers were booming in New York and that is where they decided to marry. They had and still have an excellent career. Then it was time to have a family. They were blessed with twins, one boy and one girl. They could not have been happier. 

Their dreams were answered. As their children started to grow one could recognize they too was musical. It was obvious that Corry was the singer and Grant right now loves the drums.

It was the music that brought them together and it was the music that gave much happiness to their life.

June 05, 2022 19:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.