2 comments

Romance Fiction Teens & Young Adult


“Happy New Year!” 

Jane heard the buzzing crowd scream in unison. She then continued to watch everyone and their other half smash mouths together, holding eachother excitedly. Happy new year? What was Happy about it. If anything it was the same old year she was doomed to play on repeat. She pulled at her blonde curls nervously. She had gone with a white crop top dress with some purple Adidas tennis shoes. It was in style wearing sneakers with a dress. She looked cute but for who? She stood in the shadows at the very end of the bleachers. Some holiday party this turned out to be. At 18 she expected to have a boyfriend, trying out for a great college and driving some fancy sports car. None of these things had happened yet. Instead she was left to sway in the hot sweaty lights by herself. Happy new year. Hah. What a joke. She was so immersed in her gloom she did not realize a guy standing to her over to the left. 

Adam was a medium good looking guy. He did not spend much time at the gym , but had a charming smile. For some reason he was always overseen.  Sometimes he wondered if he was invisible. A ghost in the halls. “Happy New Year!” he heard people shouting. 

People grabbed their person locking lips. He looked down lost in thought again. He felt an empty space next to him. Who was his girl and why had they not met yet. He did not need a grandiose love story. Just something simple. Someone loyal. He glanced around the room and saw his Kinder Garten crush. Her name was Jane. He remembered vaguely pulling her curly pigtails as she sat in front of his desk. He was devious even then. He looked her up and down curiously. Every year he saw her at the dance. And every year she stood there glowing alone. A lone star.  He had tried to talk himself into approaching her many times. He always quickly avoided it and watched her from a distance. From a distance he could love her with no expectations. From a distance his heart could remain intact. He caught another look. Her face held a sad smile. What was that emotion. He had seen it in his own mirror. Ahhh. Loneliness. Yes he knew that feeling very well. Maybe she feels exactly like me. He took across the dance floor. He looked up to see if she noticed. She was stuck in some sort of daydream as she stared at a couple kissing in the darkness. She looked so fragile in the shadows. Her tight dress revealed her mature body. Her hair a little unkempt. He thought about holding her to his chest looking into her golden brown eyes. Getting lost in her freckles. Her freckles on her neck down to her chest back up to her rosy complexion. Focus. He pulled himself together as his swirling fantasy slowly vanished into the sultry air. He finished sauntering across the dance floor. The girl of his dreams was now right in front of him. He turned and stood to her left. Would this be the night he actually made a move. What if she is with somebody else. He looked again and she just held her arms heavily at her side. No more excuses. Just do it. His braver impulsive side was winning. For once. With all the courage he could muster up he went to tap her on the shoulder. What would he say? He did not know but as he went to touch her its like the mirage disappeared and he was left with a curious girl looking up at him.  When there eyes met he could feel himself melting to his core. He could barely get a word out as his heart thumped as hard as a humming birds wings. 

Jane was lost in her woes. Will a guy ever approach her. As if her wish came true, she felt a tap on her right shoulder. The tap brought a rush to her spine. She looked up pleasantly surprised. She looked into his eyes questioning his actions. Was she accidentally stepping on his foot, or was she in a spot he wanted to stand? What would he want with her? He did not speak but uttered what sounded like a nervous hi. 

“hi I’m Jane.” She nervously said back.

She kicked herself silently. Why did she say that. How lame. She quickly looked for the girls bathroom. Ready to make a fast exit. 

Adam could not believe it. Jane just talked to him. Was this real? Say something hurry. He thought to himself. She looked like a doe who was ready to run. 

He sputtered, “I saw you alone over here and wanted to come say hi.”

He watched her relax a little. 

“OH okay!” “I’m sorry.” “I did not expect anyone to talk to me.”

Why was she apologizing she thought to herself. Her reaction was a little over the top. The boy did not seem to mind. He looked at her with a soft shy grin. She felt like she was a picture book and he was reading her. Her spine snapped up straight.                                          

“Wanna dance?” She heard herself ask.

She felt a warm tingle in her brain that soon looped into her heart. What a dreamy feeling. She leaned into it and pulled the man with her. Under the hot dancing lights she was no longer alone. He swayed with her. At one point he was behind her, holding her softly. She leaned onto him with all her body weight. It was as if the whole room disappeared. Just him and her. She breathed him in and he did the same. Adam, Jane their names resounded like church bells in their heads. 

They continued to dance as if in a daze. Holding eachother from completely crumbling under peers pressures. For once New years did not suck. They both breathed in a sigh of relief as if on cue. At the same time they looked into eachothers eyes. Adam opened his mouth.

   "I've been waiting for you." He softly said to her.

A surprised enchanted blushing Jane looked deeper into this man's soul. She locked her fingers into his.

    "I've been waiting for you too." She gasped out.

      Then jokingly hit him in the arm, "What took ya so long!"

Adam could not believe he was having a conversation with his teen queen crush.

     "Come on it wasn't that long of a wait!" He said goofily back.

Her eyes lit up and his eyes fired back.

People yelling the countdown broke their connection. 

10-9

Wait Jane thought it is already the new year. Must be a fluke.

8-7-6

Adam looked up surprised as well. Wait a minute this already happened.

5-4-3-2

Adam and Jane remained puzzled but shrugged their shoulders.

"1!!!"everyone yelled.

Everyone cheered as Adam made a last second decision.

He leaned down and calmly kissed Jane. She squirmed under the kiss but then opened her mouth to meet his tongue. They kissed passionately and quickly broke apart.

Together they shouted, "Happy New Year!!!" 



December 29, 2021 04:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Shaylynn Skinner
01:51 Feb 02, 2022

I never like this genre...........You made me like it!!!!! GREAT JOB> <3

Reply

18:02 Mar 19, 2022

Yay that makes me so happy. Try to put alot of feeling and description as I can. I'm a suckered for romance can ya tell :P Thank you for being my first comment 💓

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.