73 comments

Coming of Age Horror Mystery

Theme parks are the best, the roller coasters rule, but I didn’t want to go into the House of Horrors. It looked dark and creepy and I knew it was full of dead things and madmen, like the pictures on my dad’s scary videos. That kind of stuff made my insides squirm and threaten to erupt buckets of puke, but Bernice had the tickets and me by the hand, and she was dragging me along and wouldn’t stop.

What was I supposed to do, sit down and cry? I’d look like a baby and Bernice would laugh. It was the first time she’d talked to me, so I didn’t want that. Instead, I let her lead me to that dirty, grey building with the gargoyle-covered, finger-like spires, which rose into the cloudless, midday sky like a giant, concrete hand waiting to grab us. My feet dragged, the ground felt like quicksand but Bernice kept me out by moving fast, getting us to the looming mansion safe and sound.

I said nothing when she handed the tickets to the bored-looking teenager wearing a ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ t-shirt who was manning the booth. I said nothing when he complained we were too young, but it was okay if we really weren’t scared. I said nothing when Bernice told him our parents said it was fine and pulled me through the thick sheets of plastic that hung like strips of flesh in the open door.

I could still feel Dad’s hand on my shoulder, nudging me on like he had towards Bernice. It was like I was being carried by that same momentum as I stepped forward into the darkness. And then there I was, in a haunted house in 'Pleasure Beach' in Blackpool, holding hands with a girl from Northern Ireland, and I couldn’t really believe this was me, because if there was one thing I hated more than monsters, it was girls, or at least that's what I thought.

Just a few minutes earlier I’d been eating a burger at a white, plastic picnic table on the veranda of the theme park family restaurant, sitting on a wobbly chair and slurping coke while acting out a battle with my Star Wars toys.

That’s when I spotted the girl from our hotel watching me from her seat a few tables away. It made me splutter coke all over my ‘Goonies’ t-shirt because I hadn’t expected to see anyone I knew here, so I hadn’t been holding back on the sound effects. I tried not to go red as I looked away, sliding Vader and Luke into my lap, but I was glowing with embarrassment, so I failed.

Like me, she was eating lunch with her family at one of the flimsy tables crammed into the packed restaurant courtyard. Like me, she was also trying to entertain herself while her parents babbled on about nothing, taking forever to finish eating and wasting precious, attraction-riding time. Except she was doing it in the less embarrassing way of juggling tennis balls.

I knew her name was Bernice because that’s what her sisters called her, in the hotel lounge every evening, where I read Spiderman comics and she juggled. She made those balls go so fast it was hard not to sneak a glance. She never even dropped one, and mostly she wasn’t even paying attention to what she was doing. I tried not to care. I tried not to think she was cool, with her straw-coloured hair tied up in pigtails and those freckles on her nose that were kind of cute. But she kept catching me watching, which was annoying. It made her stupid, older sisters giggle, whisper in her ear and laugh. I knew they were talking about me. It made my cheeks tingle and burn so I had to get up and leave the room. I always looked back as I did. And she was always staring after me.

And now she’d seen me playing with my Star Wars toys and for some reason I felt really dumb. I didn’t want to look at her again, with my red face and coke-stained shirt, but my head wouldn't stop and when it turned, I got a horrible surprise.

Bernice wasn’t at her table anymore.

She was standing right there beside mine, a tennis ball clutched in each hand.

“Hey, my mam gave me tickets for a ride, are ya comin’?”

“What?”

“Are ya comin’ on a ride with me, I’m bored.”

“Go on, Kev,” my dad said, nudging me out of my seat and pushing me towards her. Luke and Vader fell from my knees and hit the flagstones. “You kids go ride the chair-o-planes. We’ll be finished when you get back and we’ll do another rollercoaster.”

I didn't have time to retrieve my toys, and I didn't want to be seen doing it anyway. They were my favourite ones and I didn't want to lose them, but suddenly Bernice's eyes and smile seemed more important. She stuffed her tennis balls into the pockets of her jacket, then grabbed me by the hand and we were off, weaving our way through the tables and crowds out of the restaurant, her sisters staring after us, sticking their tongues out and making kissy noises with their lips.

And that was that. Except Bernice didn’t want to go on the chair-o-planes and now I was in what looked like the dirtiest of dungeons, with plastic skeletons jiggling on the walls, dim, red bulbs barely illuminating the hall, and the sound of recorded screams filling the air.

My heart pounded like it was trying to break free, my breath catching with each shadow that stretched from the walls. The darkness seemed to tug at my limbs, squeezing tighter with every screech. I didn’t like the plastic vampire sucking on the neck of a mannequin, I didn’t like the wax werewolf with its snout stuck in the entrails of a scarecrow, I didn’t like the life-size, glowering Jack the Ripper, blocking our path with his blood-stained knife.

It wasn’t just that. The whole place stank of mothballs and mould, a damp smell that reminded me of Gran’s house when we’d gone to clear it out after she died. That same scent of damp–or death, I wasn’t sure which–had stuck with me after just an hour in her house a year before and it was back now, stronger than ever. And the air didn’t just smell bad. It felt bad, like a horrible weight pressing down on me, squeezing the oxygen from my lungs. 

Like Vader using the Force to crush a throat.

I hated it. 

Every bit.

But Bernice loved it all.

She squealed in delight at every discovery, pulling me through the halls at breakneck speed, barely pausing at each horrific sight before barrelling us on to the next one. Which was good, in a way, as I didn’t want to be there longer than necessary. But bad in another way, because I’d barely recovered from one scare before another leapt out. Frankenstein’s monster staring wide-eyed on a table. Blood-chilling. A trio of witches at a smoking cauldron full of bones. Nerve-wracking. A pack of rabid dogs with drooling teeth. Terrifying.

And let’s not talk about the clown…

I tried not to show I was afraid. I mimicked her shoulders bobbing and her arms swinging when she laughed and joked around, and agreed the scary things were really cool. When she playfully pushed me towards the Creature from the Black Lagoon, I made sure my intended yelp came out a giggle. When she said grabbed my hand and told me she was scared of Norman Bates, I bravely tightened my grip and said it was fine.

I was glad it was dark, because that meant she couldn’t see the expressions on my face, or how my eyes were squinting most of the time. I was gladder still when we rounded a final corner and saw the word EXIT. We were almost out. It had seemed like an age but was probably only five minutes. Somehow I’d made it without peeing my pants and she had no reason to think I was a baby. With luck, she might even have forgotten Star Wars.

And that’s when it all went wrong.

“My ball!” she gasped, releasing my hand to search in both her pockets. “I lost one of my balls!”

“Oh no,” I replied, looking at the floor, hoping I’d find it. “When did you lose it?”

“I don’t know!” Bernice snapped, knocking me against the rickety wall as she pushed past. “That’s a stupid question! If I knew that it wouldn’t be lost. I’m going to find it.”

She didn’t wait for me to answer. Didn’t wait at all, just ran back into the corridor we’d come out of and disappeared.

“Bernice!” I shouted, and my face tingled when I said her name aloud. “Wait!”

She didn’t. I stared at the corner she’d turned, hoping to hear her call back, listening for a trace of her, even her footsteps, but the wails from the speakers seemed to be getting louder and louder.

Seemed to be laughing at me now.

I turned the other way and looked at the exit ahead, green letters glowing in the darkness, which seemed even darker now I was alone. For a second I thought about running, getting out of there and waiting outside. For a second. Maybe two. But deep down I knew I couldn’t do that. I didn’t want her to think I was a wimp. Being brave was somehow important now, but it wasn’t the only reason I decided to follow her.

I wanted to make sure she was okay.

Dad would have been angry if I didn’t. 

If I’d left her alone and something happened. 

I’d heard him say to Mum how he hated himself for not visiting Gran more often. For not making sure she was okay.

Bernice wasn’t my friend. But she could be. 

And friends wouldn’t leave each other alone. Not in a place like this, even if the threat was all fake.

Especially because the threat was all fake.

So back around the corner I went, straight into the arms of the skinned-alive man, who reached for me from an alcove in the wall. I didn’t make eye contact with his lifeless wax eyes because he looked bloody and hideous and I hated him. I moved on, walking faster, retracing my steps through the corridors, peering into the darkness at the shadowy figures that lurked there, trying not to see them if they weren’t her.

My heart pounded faster, my feet moved quicker, the screams (laughs?) seemed to grow louder the further I went. I started to imagine that some of those screams might be hers, that some creature made of wax had somehow grabbed her, and then I was running, starting to panic, taking a corner too fast, yelping when I ran into monsters.

“Watch it!” one of them with stringy hair shouted, putting an arm out to stop me. “You shouldn’t be here, you little dweeb, where’s your mother?”

It didn’t take me long to realise they were just a couple of teenagers, a boy and a girl, both with long hair, holding hands. Still I ducked under the outstretched arm and ran past them. I don’t know why. I should have asked for help, or even asked if they’d seen her.

But they were teenagers. They wouldn’t have cared.

Coming around the next corner, I saw two things that stopped me in my tracks.

The first was the naked, old man in the bathtub, with his black eyes and bath cap, stubbly beard and thin, bony arm in the air, holding a long-handled scrubber. This one wasn’t a monster, not any I’d ever heard of, but somehow he scared me the most. I hadn’t been able to look at him the first time around, had kept my eyes glued to the floor while Bernice giggled and peered into the bath. This time, I had to look, because the second thing I noticed was the tennis ball he was holding in his outstretched hand.

“Bernice?” I hissed, gulping as I stepped towards the bathtub. “Are you there?”

Screams. Screeches. Shrieks and squawks from above.

I moved closer, keeping my eyes on the tennis ball and not on the face of the man. He wasn’t real. I knew that. He was made of wax. He couldn’t hurt me. He couldn’t do anything. He couldn’t move. So why was the ball in his hand? 

And why was Bernice in the bath?

It took me a second to understand what I was seeing. Bernice, lying face down on the smooth surface of wax that was meant to be water, from which the old man was rising up, her short auburn hair fanned out around her head, skirt hitched up around her knees.

“Bernice?” I whispered again, doing everything I could not to cry. “Are you okay?”

My legs bumped against the rim of the ceramic bathtub. I lifted one arm to reach out. My eyes flicked to the face of the waxwork, which was far too close, it's horrible blank gaze boring into me.

The red bulb above the bathtub flickered.

My fingers touched the top of Bernice’s head.

Something, arms, grabbed me from behind and something, voices, screamed in my ears on both sides. 

I screamed, staggered back, stumbled and fell to the floor. The flickering light bulb revealed two gangly forms, twisted shapes in the darkness, closing in around me, reached out their arms, making strange slurping sounds that sounded like kisses. 

“Gotcha!” laughed one, and I knew straight away who it was.

“Haha you screamed like a little girl!”

“Oh no, did ya piss your pants? Ew!!”

“Are you really scared, do you want yer mommy?”

Bernice rose up in the bathtub, bumping the bulb and making it swing as her sisters danced around me, clutching their sides in laughter. The grin on her lips disappeared when she noticed the look on my face in the swinging light.

“That was brilliant!” laughed one of the girls, high fiving the other above me. “Come on, Ber, mam and dad are waitin’!”

And just like that they were gone, racing away from the bathtub and the wax man and me on the floor and Bernice. 

And that's why I always avoided girls.

I pushed myself up while Bernice climbed out of the tub and took back her ball. She had her back to me, and I had my eyes on the floor. She started to walk away and I thought, good, go, leave me alone, with your stupid straw hair and ugly freckles, but then she stopped in her tracks and looked back.

“Sorry,” she said, and I looked into a pair of darting eyes. “It was my sisters’ idea. Kind of stupid.”

“Kind of.”

“I thought it would be funny. A good prank. But it wasn’t.”

She came closer.

“It was nice ya came after me. I wasn’t sure ya would.”

I blushed, looked at my feet.

I just wanted her to go. The screams from the speakers were better company. The lifeless creations populating the labyrinth were less likely to hurt me than…

“Are ya comin’?”

She lifted her arm and held out her hand and I blushed even more and looked up.

“We came in together, you’re not gonna let me walk out on my own, are ya? One of the monsters might get me.”

She smiled. A small smile, apologetic. She was being friendly for real and I liked it. I mirrored her smile and felt a flutter in my chest, something strange that made a lump catch in my throat. I had to swallow hard to get rid of it.

“At least you have those tennis balls to throw if it does.”

“Yeah! They make great weapons. Not as good as light sabers but...here.”

She handed the one she was holding to me and took the other one out of her pocket. I thought of Luke and Vader on the ground back at the restaurant and wondered if they’d still be there when I got back. Mum and Dad definitely wouldn’t have seen them. Any other time, the fear of losing them would have stabbed arrows of dread into my heart and had me racing back in a panic, but I didn’t seem too bothered by it now.

When Bernice offered her hand again, I took it, and then we were walking, back the way we’d come, through the monsters and the noise towards the exit.

The wailing House of Horrors with its hallways full of scares closed in around us, but as we walked hand in hand through the corridors, past eerie figures and through screams that now seemed to be quieter, I wasn’t really afraid anymore. With Bernice by my side, it was like we were off on an adventure, like the Goonies in their subterranean caves.

And even if our caves did house monsters, I realised they weren’t so scary.

And neither were girls.


August 13, 2024 20:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

73 comments

Belladona Vulpa
10:38 Aug 20, 2024

Nice character interactions and development. Nicely portrayed emotions as well. The innocence of youth was part of the voice. The storytelling was immersive and eloquent. It turned out well, the beginning of a friendship and the end of his fear of girls. Parts I loved reading: "I didn’t want her to think I was a wimp. Being brave was somehow important now, but it wasn’t the only reason I decided to follow her. I wanted to make sure she was okay. Dad would have been angry if I didn’t. If I’d left her alone and something happened. I’d ...

Reply

15:10 Aug 20, 2024

Thanks for this Belladonna! I love the feedback you take the time to give. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Herman
16:48 Aug 24, 2024

The only thing I don't like about this story and it's a minor flaw: I didn't write it!

Reply

14:31 Aug 25, 2024

Haha thanks Zach! Wish the judges felt the same 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:22 Aug 24, 2024

This is a fabulous story. I love your vivid descriptions and your insight into the mind of the young boy, who has to act brave so as not to be thought a wimp, and who is genuinely brave when he goes back into the "haunted house" to make sure Bernice is okay. I was captivated the whole time I read this story. You have done a great job.

Reply

08:16 Aug 24, 2024

Thanks Kathryn. Got some great feedback from many many people on this one but still didn't make the shortlist! I still have work to do but I keep trying to improve,!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sir Suirradel
01:13 Aug 23, 2024

This was pretty cool, man. I liked that little man went back for Bernice. It's something I feel a lot of people can resonate with, especially me. That feeling in childhood where we have to be brave in front of a girl we (think) we like. Very down to earth.

Reply

12:17 Aug 23, 2024

Thank you! Oh totally. It's a scary thing to put yourself out there like that, especially as a kid. Weve all lived it! This is inspired by true events lol there was a Bernice (and sisters) :) Thanks for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Barnes
21:34 Aug 22, 2024

I like how you make connections to previous parts throughout the story. Like when he references his dad's relationship with his grandma. It makes it feel full and well rounded, and gives the boy a deeper personality. Such a fun story!

Reply

22:05 Aug 22, 2024

Thanks Lily! Glad you enjoyed! I'll check out your stories in a bit! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Renee Gant
19:11 Aug 21, 2024

Great Story Derrick! It was intriguing how the emotional link between fear and love ran through the entire tale. The suspense of Bernice’s missing ball and re-entry was nail bitingly scary. The happy rather than tragic end was refreshing!!

Reply

09:01 Aug 24, 2024

Thanks Renee. Im super proud of this one. My English writing teacher (a published author) pushed me to submit this. Thought it was shortlist worthy at least but alas........ I will keep trying to improve!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
15:07 Aug 21, 2024

Awww - what a beautiful ‘coming of age’ story! I love all the new & unknown emotions invading the narrator’s mind/body, eg “…. and felt a flutter in my chest, something strange that made a lump catch in my throat. I had to swallow hard to get rid of it.” You capture the innocence ever so well.

Reply

18:56 Aug 21, 2024

Thanks Shirley! Happy to hear it came across how i wanted it to. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Squires
21:56 Aug 19, 2024

A very interesting read Derrick, the build-up of tension is great and the story plot is very creative.

Reply

08:51 Aug 20, 2024

Thank you Julia!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:36 Aug 19, 2024

Did he get his Star Wars figures back? This story had my heart sinking. Oh no, another horror where a kid is going to die, this time! But no. Our MC had fears, but he overcame them. He was pranked, but he went on despite it. He forgave Bernice, and they teamed up together even more bravely than at the beginning. We can learn something from this story. Child angst/morbid fear is captured beautifully. All the feelings and emotions with rich detail are penned masterfully. Great story. See! You can write happy endings.

Reply

21:04 Aug 19, 2024

Thanks Kaitlyn. :) yes they are a rarity but happy ending DMD stories do exist 😝 glad you enjoyed this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
19:30 Aug 19, 2024

Very vivid sensory details! I felt I was there too. The descriptions are immersive and they draw the reader into experiencing the story. Skillfully written. Captures the feelings and emotions with high impact. I felt empathy for the main character experiencing the fears and horror. The girls seemed cruel to play jokes like that. Well told!

Reply

19:50 Aug 19, 2024

Thank you Kristi! Happy you enjoyed! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Greydon Blight
14:41 Aug 19, 2024

Loved this story—it perfectly captures that mix of childhood fear and the first spark of friendship!

Reply

19:50 Aug 19, 2024

Thanks Greydon! (Cool name)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
23:49 Aug 18, 2024

Could feel the boy's terror here, great build up and sense of relief at the end. The irony of Pleasure Beach too, the flesh-like plastic doors, and the first stirrings of early adolescence, all well portrayed.

Reply

07:33 Aug 19, 2024

Thanks Carol! It was fun to write this one:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suzanne Jennifer
19:05 Aug 18, 2024

Nice work. A true dramatic coming of age story. The analogies were fantastic. A sensory journey. My favorite line: "Like Vader using the Force to crush a throat." Vader and the House of Horrors both give the reader such vivid imagery. Villians!

Reply

20:16 Aug 18, 2024

Thanks Suzanne. Glad you enjoyed:) (im envious of your ability to enter multiple stories per contest, I normally struggle to finish one in time!)

Reply

Suzanne Jennifer
00:21 Aug 19, 2024

I am blessed with an understanding family who allow me follow my bliss. ; )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:21 Aug 18, 2024

Great fun. I loved the twists and turns of the story and I loved the way you showed how the house of horrors brought out the best in our young hero.

Reply

12:06 Aug 18, 2024

Thanks Helen :) appreciate that, glad you enjoyed:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:10 Aug 18, 2024

I was so happy that the adventure ended well! I expected that Kevin's girl phobia, the monsters, and the backstory of death would combine to traumatize him beyond repair. But he passed Bernice's manhood test, and a whole new world opened to welcome him, bigger than Luke and Darth Vader and the entire Star Wars universe. Cue a triumphant fanfare and tumultuous cheering!

Reply

12:06 Aug 18, 2024

Yay!! Thanks Christine. I wanted this to be heartwarming so glad it worked:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Geertje H
02:14 Aug 18, 2024

Poor little Kevin, trying to be so brave. And then he was. :-)

Reply

07:32 Aug 19, 2024

Thank you for reading! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
02:07 Aug 18, 2024

Terrific story. Such a great voice for Kevin, and you kept it consistent thoughtout the adventure. You described the house - and Bernice - perfectly through his young eyes. I’m glad she didn’t disappoint him, after all he went through. Well done!

Reply

12:11 Aug 18, 2024

Thank you so much Karen! Delighted you liked it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeff Meade
18:06 Aug 17, 2024

Fantastic flow of action, and poignant interpretation of young love. The emotions were authentic and I could picture myself in there, confused as to whether I was more afraid of the haunted house or of the first feelings of love. Nice work on this one.

Reply

07:32 Aug 19, 2024

Thanks Jeff I appreciate that! Glad you enjoyed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
12:52 Aug 16, 2024

Seduced by an older woman. :-) Sweet Kevin, the hero (doing what scares you, but doing it just the same)

Reply

13:43 Aug 16, 2024

Cometh the hour, cometh the .....terrified nervous kid who doesn't understand his feelings but wants to get the girl nevertheless!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.D. Adler
03:31 Aug 16, 2024

Haha, Bernice and her sisters got me too :) I was bracing myself while you created suspense, expecting the worst, forgetting that the scariest thing in that House of Horrors was indeed... girls 😆 I loved the characterization, I cared for the little guy and wanted to reach the resolution to ensure he was safe. The ending was very heartwarming. Lovely piece.

Reply

07:16 Aug 16, 2024

Haha brilliant! Happy to hear that. Yes those sneaky girls. Quite mean. But something good came out of it 😄 Glad you enjoyed your adventure in Ireland!,(well I hope you did!)

Reply

M.D. Adler
08:21 Aug 16, 2024

I sure did, dying to go back for a visit! 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.