0 comments

Fiction

       Jason opened the passenger door emblazoned with black lettering advertising " F and F Antiques - PHONE 371- DEAL" . He climbed into the seat of the late model 1998 fire-red Ford-150 truck with great care and excitement, making sure he hadn't tracked in any mud. The vehicle had all the bells and whistles and a matching enclosed utility trailer hitched to the back. Freddy Foster, the proprietor of the business and deluxe transportation package, slid behind the wheel. He started the engine and pulled into traffic. Freddy wasn't tall or handsome, but maintained a crisp and neat appearance. His eyes were crystal blue and penetrating-even his jeans were pressed and there was never a sandy hair out of place on his expensive toupee. It was carefully placed on a mannequin head every night and combed out by Freddy or his wife, Frannie. He conquered the art of applying just the right amount of Polo, achieving a pleasing scent without bathing in it. He looked over at his seventeen year old assistant and asked, "You ready to learn the ropes, Jason?" 

      Jason nodded his head and his dark hair flopped in his eyes, which he pushed back in place. He gave a two "thumbs up" with his large fingers and asked, "Where are we going again, Mr. Foster ?"

       Freddy answered, "An on-site auction in Oneonta-a little over an hour away. There's supposed to be about 500 lots-tons of merch." He gave Jason a quick appraisal and asked, "How come you're not playing football?" Freddy had forgotten he had not allowed his own son- now forty-years old - to play any sports so he could be put to work helping his father. 

       Jason replied, "Well, Mom doesn't like football and I really don't care. " Jason had repeated this half-truth several times. Jason's father could be described as a deadbeat dad. Jason's mother, Janet, worked two waitressing jobs to keep Jason and his two siblings fed and clothed. He had been relied upon to babysit his younger sisters while his mom worked crazy hours. They were now self-sufficient, but Jason felt his skill-set was lacking to try out now for sports that his peers had been playing for years. 

        Freddy asked, "How is your mom doing? I saw her the other day when I stopped at the diner for breakfast. I might pop over later to take a look at the dishwasher. "

       Jason said, "That would be great." Privately, he thought Freddy was sweet on her. Jason had always been proud that he had a pretty mother who liked to joke and have fun. This combination made her the largest tip earner at the diner. Freddy's Frannie, on the other hand, might make Jack the Ripper run in the other direction. She had a voice that cut right through you, no matter what her mood might be. Their aggressive mixed- breed family dog, Baby, slunk to the ground when she called out to Freddy when he was in the garage with his antiques. 

       Freddy turned the radio on and Elvis belted out "Jailhouse Rock ". "Your generation has garbage music compared to this. I was about your age when Elvis first became popular", Freddy said. Jason learned Freddy's taste in music two months ago when he first started working for him, learning to refinish antiques. 

      School had just gotten out for summer between Jason's junior and senior years and he was at loose ends. This apprenticeship was arranged by Freddy. He floated the idea to Janet at the diner. It made perfect sense-he needed a helper. Jason could earn extra money and learn the trade. Besides, their duplex apartment was only two houses down from Freddy's house and antique business. Janet agreed without consulting Jason and he started working the third week in June. 

       When Elvis finished up, Jason leaned over and changed the station. They often played this game with each other while refinishing furniture or while dealers browsed the offerings in the garage. Last year's hit single, "My Heart Will Go On", belted out by Céline Dion, had just started. Jason joined in with his powerful voice as he knew the lyrics and Dennis listened attentively and with admiration. When the song ended, Freddy said, "That was great, kid." Nonetheless, he reached over and moved the dial until he found a Pat Boone song. Although it wasn't much of a compliment, Jason couldn't remember his father giving any. They rode in companionable silence, except for the radio , until they were five miles away from their destination. 

      Freddy broke the silence and said, "I want you to remember a few rules since this is our first road trip. Don't be overly talkative with anybody. There are no friends at auctions and we don't want to let on what we're interested in. You might see some dealers here that buy from me and the same holds for them. Don't question anything I do. If you want to ask me something, wait till the ride home. People are jealous of me and might say something nasty. Ignore them and don't say anything. Understand?"

       Jason nodded his head , a little surprised but not shocked. When he first started working, he realized what a tremendous work ethic Freddy had. He had great organizational skills and everything was kept in its place. He was meticulous in repairing or refinishing furniture and paintings . He brought in fresh merchandise on a regular basis to supply the dealers with items for their shops. He accomplished this by rising at the crack of dawn to hit estate sales, flea markets, auctions and house calls. He had developed a very practiced eye for hidden gems and desirable objects to wholesale to the trade. He taught Jason how to strip, stain, repair and glue furniture. Jason was able to patch holes and small rips to paintings under Freddy's tutelage. He learned the human element of the business as well-how to talk reluctant buyers into purchasing, driving hard deals and pitting the dealers against each other. At least once a week, Freddy ordered Jason outside while he discussed "business ". Jason could sometimes hear the fighting and cussing. 

       Jason talked about his family, friends and school while they were working and Freddy seemed to take a real interest. While curious about the reasons for the arguments with the dealers, Freddy deflected most of Jason's questions and the subject was dropped. 

       After two months, Jason accumulated quite a stash of cash, giving a lion's share to his mother. He was able to buy designer clothes and sneakers and appreciated the luxury of spending money. Sometimes, he saw thousands of dollars exchanging hands in a matter of hours. He enjoyed the work and thought maybe he'd stick with this trade next year after graduation since his grades weren't the best. Freddy became a substitute father of sorts and Jason was a grateful recipient of his attention and knowledge. 

       They pulled into the on-site auction and were among the first arrivals. Freddy wanted a good parking spot and a two hour preview of the items for sale before the action started. Freddy registered at the desk and covered two chairs under the auction tent with newspapers in order to reserve them. Jason and Freddy prowled the house and grounds, examining the merchandise. Freddy made notes on his bidding card-number 66- of the lots he was interested in. Just before the bidding started, Freddy asked Jason if he saw anything he liked. 

       Jason replied, "Mom would like that huge blue vase with the hand-painted flowers. It's her birthday next month. " Freddy nodded and said, "I'll be back. " 

        A dealer who looked familiar to Jason who was seated across the aisle said, "You're just like that Van Halen song." When Jason looked confused, the man provided further explanation. "You know, 'Running with the Devil'. " He glanced at the bidding card with the number 66 laying on the empty chair. "One more 6 and it would be the mark of the beast! ", he laughed. Jason followed Freddy's orders and ignored him.

       Just then, Freddy came back carrying hot dogs, chips and sodas for them both. Jason thought Freddy was a mind reader. "How did you know I was starving?", he asked. 

      Freddy replied, "You're a teenager ." They both laughed and the auction started. 

       Over the next hour, Jason observed while Freddy bought six lots, mostly furniture. The merchandise was dispersed outside the sale tent and marked with the bidders' numbers with chalk when sold and the smaller items brought directly to the buyers. Freddy pulled one of the auction runners aside, whispered to him and shoved cash into his hand. Within the next ten minutes, Freddy bought three lots, including the vase. Freddy handed the $200 purchase over to Jason and said, "It's on me." Jason was overwhelmed and couldn't speak. Nobody had ever been this generous. Jason examined and admired the 150 year old piece of fine porcelain while Freddy paid the tab. Freddy returned and then said, "Come with me."

     They walked back to the truck with the vase and Freddy's smaller purchases. The finds were packed in boxes with newspapers. Freddy and Jason started loading the furniture- roughly a dozen pieces in all. Jason didn't remember Freddy buying two of the dressers, one chest, a table and an oriental rug, yet they were marked "66". They completed their task without anyone paying them the slightest bit of attention. When they got to Schenectady , Freddy pulled into the parking lot of an Italian restaurant. Jason heard his mother speak of this landmark and hoped to bring her here sometime. "Still hungry?", asked Freddy. Jason rapidly nodded his head up and down. 

       When they were working their way through huge portions of lasagna following appetizers and salad, Jason worked up the courage to ask about the extra lots they loaded on the truck "Gee, Mr. Foster, I don't remember some of those things being sold."

        Freddy said, " There was too much stuff to get through and the auction manager let me buy those extra lots directly because I told him I had to leave. Even if I stole them, they had it coming because the auctioneer ran me up, taking bids from imaginary buyers." Jason digested this information, not knowing whether to believe it or not. 

       Freddy studied Jason carefully and said, "You remind me of my son, Frankie, when he was your age."

       Jason seldom heard Freddy discuss Frankie but knew he was in the business as well. "How is he doing?", he asked. 

       "I bailed him out of jail last week", said Freddy. He went into an explanation that mostly went over Jason's head about check kiting. Jason gleaned that it was a scheme used to purchase items using various accounts that had insufficient funds, buying time until the checks cleared. 

        "I learned him better than that", Freddy said. He sighed as he paid the bill and pushed himself out of the booth. He said, " There probably will be the usual suspects waiting for us at the garage. "

       Sure enough, there were about six pickers and dealers waiting for them at Freddy's. There was a buying frenzy, as they had to make snap decisions while competing over the haul. Most of the items didn't make it to the garage-they were unloaded from Freddy's truck to the vehicles of the new buyers. After the flurry of excitement died down, Jason got a quick glimpse of the auction receipt on Freddy's desk. There was no record of four items Jason helped load. Freddy said he turned a $3000 profit and handed Jason $200. "See you next Saturday", he said. 

       Jason showed up at 9:30 the following week, expecting to refinish furniture. Instead, Freddy announced, "Road Trip !" They drove north for forty minutes, headed for the multi-dealer shop in Glens Falls. Again, Freddy gave a pep talk just before they got there. "Jason, remember that dog painting I sold to Ron two weeks ago?", he asked. 

       Jason thought, and then recalled. "Yes, it was a pug on a red velvet sofa. He paid $300 for it," he said. 

       Freddy continued, "Well, the check bounced and I'm getting my dog back. Mary is working the desk today. I'll show you Ron's booth and you'll grab my painting and take it to the truck while I'm distracting Mary." Freddy fended off Jason's objections. He assured him that he hadn't been paid, that the surveillance system wasn't working and he knew how to handle the situation in the slight chance anything went wrong. 

       Jason's hands and knees were shaking as he lifted the disputed dog down from the wall and walked past the empty front desk. Mary was showing Freddy a piece of jewelry in a distant case and he was charming her. Jason's heart thumped loudly in his chest until they were five miles down the road. He and Freddy "high-fived" and Jason realized that he got a thrill after all was said and done. Freddy yanked off the price tag and called Ron a thief when he saw it was marked $2500. Freddy sold the painting for $1000 on a picking/selling expedition in Connecticut a few days later. 

       The next road trip the following week was to an estate sale in Amsterdam. Jason and Freddy set out early at 4AM so they could get the first numbers handed out at 6AM for the 9AM start time. They were #1 and #2 to gain entrance, but Freddy sold Jason's number for $200 to another dealer who overslept. Jason waited in the truck while Freddy bargain -hunted. He was on stand-by to help Freddy load. A picker coming out of the sale noticed Jason and yelled, " You're working for F,F,and F Antiques ! Flimmed, Flammed and Effed !" Jason got angry and his face became flushed, but he said nothing. 

       At 10AM, Freddy came out of the grand house. He motioned and Jason sprang into action.They carried out a few rugs, several bronzes and five pieces of furniture. The last lot was a small pine chest of drawers. Jason was surprised because it seemed to be of a cheaper quality than Freddy usually bought. He noted it was heavier than it should be and could hear a few objects rolling around in it. He suggested they take out the drawers and Freddy said sharply, "Shut up!"

       Just as they passed the checkout desk, the bottom drawer gave way and several objects within crashed on the floor. Candlesticks, small bronzes, sterling silver and various small items clanged and rolled about while the shocked audience stared at the treasure trove. A few workers came over to help out. The checkout clerk yelled,

"Those items haven't been paid for !" There were audible gasps and Jason felt the heat rise up in his neck and face. He never felt more embarrassed. 

       The staff ordered Freddy and Jason to stay put while the next strategy was mapped out. The estate sale head was familiar with Freddy and had a plan at the ready to deal with him. It was decided that Freddy and Jason must empty their pockets and allow a voluntary search of the truck. Otherwise, the police would be called. Freddy consented to the humiliating procedure. Every item in the chest, two bronzes on the truck, a wristwatch and diamond ring found in Freddy's pocket were returned. They were banned from any future sales. It was a quiet return trip. 

        When they arrived at home base, Freddy and Jason unloaded in silence and Freddy directed Jason to strip an oak table. The mood was tense and awkward until the regulars showed up at 3PM , looking for deals. When Freddy went into the house to use the bathroom, Kevin said in a low voice, "We heard about the sale ! A word of advice- get a different job!" The other three pickers echoed his sentiment and quickly changed the subject before Freddy walked in.

          All that night, Jason tossed and turned thinking about his relationship with Freddy. He had been so grateful to be taken under Freddy's wing. He earned more money than his classmates, learned a useful skill set and was able to help support his mom. The intangibles were just as important. He felt important, valued and listened to. The void of having no male role model was somewhat filled. He wanted to believe in Freddy, but the events of the day left no doubt there was a dark side to his mentor. He wrestled all week whether he was going on a house call with Freddy on Saturday. Ultimately, he went with Freddy to the old woman's house. He didn't know what he'd tell his mother about the job if he quit. She'd been through so much lately. 

        The drive to the Saratoga house call went better than expected. Last week's episode wasn't mentioned, and Freddy was very attentive as he asked about Jason's week at school. Freddy worked his charm on Beatrice, who was downsizing to a senior apartment. She had a lot of great stuff and seemed interested in giving Freddy the deal-she would let him know. Just as they were leaving, Freddy told Beatrice that he hoped she'd choose him-that his wife Frannie was fighting cancer and he could use the business. Beatrice was moved to tears and waved goodbye to them both. 

        It was quiet on the way home until they pulled in the driveway and got out of the truck. Jason said, "I'm so sorry about your wife-is it serious?"

       Freddy said with a laugh," I made that up to get the deal !"

     The white-hot anger rose up in Jason and his face turned beet-red. "My mother just went through a cancer scare. What kind of sleeze bag lies about that?"

       As he stomped off towards home without looking back, Jason realized how fuzzy his moral clarity had gotten in pursuit of filling the hole in his heart. He hoped his judgment and trust in others would return.

November 04, 2023 03:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.