A Heated Argument in an Interrogation Room

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a conversation that takes place between two people who refuse to say what they mean.... view prompt

18 comments

Creative Nonfiction Suspense Mystery

๐€ ๐‡๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐€๐ซ๐ ๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐ญ ๐ข๐ง ๐š๐ง ๐ˆ๐ง๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ซ๐จ๐ ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐‘๐จ๐จ๐ฆ

It was a hot, and a stuffy morning. Everyone was under pressure, a little tense in this small neighborhood. They never knew the missing case of Little John Dale would be such a big deal.

ย Their neighborhood was not really that big of a deal before. Just a small one, with very aggressive and angry people. That's all.

But no one ever thought that their neighborhood would be feared by visitors. Everyone started making up rumors and lies about them. Nasty things and secrets about them. The news was filled with terrible things about these people.

Still, even after two to three weeks, they still didn't figure out the case of the missing 2-year-old boy.ย 

Today was the day, where everyone, above the age of five, was going to be interrogated by the police. They had come early morning today, got all their supplies, and set up a small interrogation room, near the corner of the public swimming pools. That was where everything would begin.

They made sure that this enclosed space was locked tight, and made it soundproof so that none could hear the conversation happening outside.ย 

The police officers called a person based on their house number.

The first two people were Hailey Moore and Flora Moon. They were neighbors, and their houses were right across from each other.

The two big and buff police officers split, and one of them knocked on their door.

The first one knocked on Hailey's house.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Hello? Is anybody there?" he called out in a very gruff voice.

Right then, Hailey's mom opened the door.

"Maam, we need to interrogate your family, please. We would like the youngest to go first," he replied.

"Umm...why yes! H-Hailey!! Where are you? They came for interrogation!" she called out.

"Sweet!" she said and came out of the door.

On the other hand, the second tall police officer knocked the door.

"Anyone in the house?" he asked.

"We're here!!" Flora yelled and soon opened the door.

"Are you the youngest in the family, young girl?" he asked seriously.

"Why yes, I am," she answered. "My mom, two brothers, and my dad are all inside," Flora added.

"Good. Call them, and tell them your enter family is in interrogation related to the case of the missing boy," he replied, and Flora did as she was told.

As Flora and Hailey both followed the police officers to the soundproof room, they noticed one another.

"Ugh, it's you again isn't it?" asked Hailey, showing a disgusting face at her.

"Oh my god. You just won't leave me alone, will you?" Flora talked back, returning that ugly face.

"You are going for interrogation, aren't you?" she asked Flora.

"Yes, so are you, right?" she asked Hailey.

"Yup," replied Hailey, and she turned to the police officer. "Mister, I would like to tell you something. I strongly believe that this girl over hereโ€”Floraย is behind him missing." Hailey replied.

"What?? No! Of course not!" Flora talked back.

"Ok, we'll have this argument inside. Chief, we have to make an adjustment for these two. They have to be placed in the same room." one of the tall police officers talked into his walkie-talkie.

"Good. I'll prove my innocence there, Hailey. You just wait. I know you're the one behind it." Flora talked back.

"No! I'm not! We'll finish this argument inside." Hailey replied, and they closed their argumentative conversation.

โœตโœตโœต

The two girls finally reached the room. There were two chairs where they could sit, a police officer sitting in front of them, and two other officers in the room.

"Girls, I have a question to ask. Have you ever talked to this two-year-old boy, John Dale Kross?" he asked calmly.

"Yes, I have. In fact, I used to be his babysitter all the time! We were really good buddies! I helped their family arrange all his four birthday parties! We used to be great friends. He loved me so much. The poor little guy, I miss him, I really do. But Hailey over here sure doesn't. One time, I saw her yelling at him, just because his little squeaky ball used to cross their backyard!" Flora told the officers, and he quietly wrote everything down.

"Umm...that's not what happened! I never yelled at him before! Also, just because you were his babysitter doesn't mean that he liked you! I remember, one time when I was in their house because I was doing community service and needed help with something. I saw you pushed him and told his parents how bad he behaved! Just because he kept crawling on your essay!" Hailey replied, and the officer continued to write notes down.

"I disapprove! I've never done anything like that to him before, Hailey! Stop lying!" Flora yelled.

"No, you stop refusing everything you say!" Hailey shrieked back.

"You started it!" Flora said, her face turning into a bright shade of red.

"Me?! You started telling terrible things about me! " Hailey hollered at Flora.

The three police officers were glancing worried looks at each other. They were unsure of who was lying and who was telling the truth.

"You two! STOP! This is an interrogation room. We asked you a simple question but you two never gave the answer. It looks like you two need to resolve your own problems. We're here to try and find the kid, but you two just wasted our time." he told them very angrily.

"I'm sorry, but Flora isn't. Just look at her face! She's smirking at you!" Hailey replied.

"No! I am sorry butย sheย isn't! She's the one who's smirking at you. I can tell." Flora said.

"GIRLS! Did you two hear nothing we just said? GET OUT! Also, bring the next youngest person in your family. I hope they will be more helpful than these two girls." he mumbled, as he shook his head in disappointment.

โœตโœตโœต

"I've never done or said anything like that, Flora!" Hailey continued the fight outside.

"Well I haven't either!" she yelled back.

These two girls were just refusing to say what they did and said to Little John Dale.

Will the mystery ever be solved?

~The End~


January 14, 2021 17:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
20:53 Jan 14, 2021

Great story, I loved the pacing and you really have a great talent for story telling.

Reply

Wow, thank you so much for your kind words, and taking the time to read my story. ๐Ÿ˜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hey everyone! Hope you are having a lovely Thursday! Some quick things about this story: 1. This story was mainly inspired by the book "The Goldfish Boy", so you all should definitely read that book! 2. I kind of wanted to do a argumentative mystery and suspense story. So, yeah, that's mainly for the genre. 3. I MIGHT continue this mystery story and make it a sequel...but I don't know for sure. If I find the right prompt, then I will continue it. Hope you liked the story! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:38 Jan 15, 2021

Laila, why thank you:)

Reply

Show 1 reply
00:15 Jan 15, 2021

Hm...To be honest, I think Flora did it, because she lied. She said that Little John had 4 birthday parties instead of 2, which means that she didn't know him as well as she claimed, and therefore Hailey must be telling the truth. This is stellar writing!!!

Reply

Heyyyyy, we got a natural detective in the comment section!!! WHOOOO! You're right! Honestly, I thought many people wouldn't really get the suspect so easily, but I guess that your IQ doesn't match what I think everyone's is! You're so smart and a natural Sherlock Holmes!! Way to go!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elena Rouse
21:55 Jan 19, 2021

Have you ever read the book "Anxious People" by Fredrik Backman? This story definitely gives me those vibes! That's a compliment by the way, that book was great!

Reply

Oh, yes, I have! About Zara, Roger, and Anna-Lena? Wow, thank you so much Elena! This was totally a coincidence, but now I totally see it! Great observation! Thank you, again! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bob The Cool Guy
18:34 Apr 17, 2021

I love how you left a cliffhanger. It keeps you wondering and looking for clues. I really liked this book. It was very well written. I don't know why I think this, but I think the names fit nicely. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hi Hari!!! WOW, this was super fun to read. Love mysteries! Especially the ones u write:D Ya, i saw Flora say 4 b-days instead of 2 too! Would love to see what happens next!

Reply

Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration โ€” We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.