7 comments

Friendship Sad

Ella-


How do you know when friends are growing apart?


Like the branches of a tree, like the petals of a flower, or like an animal family in the wild.


Do you notice it? Does your friend notice it? Or do other people notice it and tell you?


Nora-


I remember a day on the beach with Ella when we were 8 years old, playing and splashing in the waves. We were the best of friends, the type of girls you could never keep apart no matter how hard you tried.


But things have changed between us since then.


I don't know if it's that we're growing older, or that we aren't meant to be friends, but maybe it's because we aren't as similar to each other as we thought.


Or maybe the similarity between us is what annoys me and Ella the most about being friends.


Ella-


A couple months ago if someone asked me who my best friend was, I would have immediately said Nora. But now I'm not so sure.


I hang out with a lot of other girls now, and I haven't seen Nora in a while. Sometimes I miss her, but sometimes I wish we'd never been friends at all. Nora has done some pretty mean things to me in my life.


Like accidentally blurting out my crush to our entire class, accidentally spilling her smoothie all over me during lunchtime at school, getting a stain on my favourite dress that I'd lent her for a piano concert, and forgetting my birthday.


These were all accidents, but if we hadn't been friends they wouldn't have happened.


If we hadn't been friends she wouldn't have known my crush. If we hadn't been friends we wouldn't have sat beside each other during lunch. If we hadn't been friends I wouldn't have lent her my favourite dress. And If we hadn't been friends I wouldn't have been sad that she forgot my birthday.


Nora-


Ella was the brains and I was the strength. I didn't mind that she was smarter than me, and I doubt she minded that I was stronger than her.


It's not that I wasn't smart, or she wasn't strong, it was just that we were each better than the other at one of those things.


I miss Ella sometimes, but if we aren't meant to be friends then we aren't meant to be friends.


Ella-


I don't think I'll ever forget Nora even if we don't hang out anymore. We were such good friends, it still shocks me that we grew apart.


But I guess the Earth told us that we aren't meant to be friends anymore. So we will listen to the Earth.

May 31, 2021 13:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

แŽฎแฌแ– แ–แ‚แŽฅแ• แŽฅแ แŽฉแŽงแฌแ’ แฐแŽฅแŽง แŽฅแŽฆ แŽฉแŽงแฌ แ—แ’แ‹ แ—แ แ‹แแŽฆ! I LOVE KotLC! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

Please take the time to like and comment on this story, it means a lot. I hope you enjoy!

Reply

Serena Johnston
16:08 May 31, 2021

OMG I love it! It's kinda like what happened to me, which makes me LOVE this story. Good job, Kate!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I see that you have Endellion's Rune/Genesis series in your library. I'm reading this series too, and I'd like to discuss it with you. Discussing books is one of my favorite things to do! Also, when you have time, could you read my stories and tell me what you think of them? Thank you for following me, and thank you for the Like points! One of my goals is to get on the Leaderboard. If you want, I'll try to help you get there, too.

Reply

Show 1 reply

This is so true, it can be hard to accept that we're growing apart, even if we weren't BEST friends, just acquaintances. Good job getting this across. Has this happened to you?

Reply

Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.