A Change of Plans

Submitted into Contest #253 in response to: Start your story with a character canceling their plans.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Sad

With a voice that quivered with suppressed emotion, Gabriel spoke words he never thought would come out of his mouth - "Hi, yes, uh, I am calling to cancel my flight to, uh, Paris. It's scheduled for tomorrow. I can do that, right?" 

The few words hung heavy in the air, a stark resignation to the harsh reality that had just ripped through the tapestry of his entire future. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope everything is okay. Can I please have your name and booking number?" The voice on the other end spoke politely, unaware of the turmoil within the caller. 

"Yes, it is Gabriel Ocampo. That's G A B R I E L and O C A M P O. The Booking number is, uh, I am checking my email, sorry. Give me a second." 

"No problem, sir, just let me know when you are ready." 

Gabriel was not ready. Everything happened so quickly, and his brain could not process it all. He knew he had to cancel those tickets, so he focused on that instead of the events that led to this moment. He clutched the phone tightly as he searched his email frantically to find the booking number. He saw the booking for the car rental, the hotels, and even the damn boat ride. 

"Sir, are you still there?" the airline representative asked politely. 

"Yes, yes, I am still here. Still looking for it." 

"No problems, Sir. You can find it on our app if you have it."

"The App! Yes! I think I do. Thank you! Let me look." He swiped on his phone to all his travel applications and found the Air France app. He needed to sign in. He put his information quickly, but it kept saying it was the wrong password. He tried to calm his nerves. Maybe he was typing it too fast. He typed one letter at a time. The loading wheel appeared this time. Unfortunately, the password was incorrect again. 

"Fuck!" He yelled at no one. 

"Sir, perhaps you can call us back when you can find the information needed."

"No, no! Please, I know I have it. Just give me a second." 

"Okay, sir," 

Gabriel wanted to cry. He never thought his evening would end up like this. Only a few hours ago, he came out of that jewelry store with a small bag containing a box whose value vastly outgrew half of his savings account. Gabriel was a man with a plan. He knew that the proposal by the Eiffel Tower was a cliche, but he still believed the plan was perfect. Now, he was on the phone, desperately trying to dismantle his plan. 

"I got it! It is 4 7 X H E 3 1 5 B."

"Great, thank you. Let me look that up real quick. I will put you on a brief hold, so bear with me."

Gabriel's mind drifted to memories, glances, random kisses, and shared laughter that slowly blurred into a haze of regret and anguish as he recalled earlier events. 

He was home earlier than usual to pack for the next day's trip. As soon as he walked in, he smiled when he saw Sarah's keys on the table. He heard the shower running and wondered why she was showering but did not think much of it. He heard the washing machine beeping, indicating the end of the wash, so he walked to the laundry room to put the clothes in the dryer, as he also needed to wash his clothes. Sam was taken aback when he opened the washer door. The washer had only three items, which was highly unlike Sarah. She always packed the washer to the breaking point. His mind signaled a flag of skepticism, but he ignored it. He put the washed clothes in the dryer and walked to the bedroom. Sarah screamed in surprise as soon as she saw him, making him laugh. 

-"Are you okay? I'm sorry I didn't mean to startle you. I just came home early to start packing. " She looked at him without saying anything for too long of a second and then managed a response 

"No, it's okay. I just didn't expect to see you. I also came home to pack." 

- "Yes, I figured. Is everything okay?" 

- yeah . . . Why?” 

- "I don't know. You are acting weird. For starters, you are clutching your bathrobe like your life depended on it. You showered, which as long as we have lived together, you never have, and you are only washing like three things." 

"What are you, the laundry police, all of a sudden? I dropped coffee on my shirt, so I wanted to wash it right away if that is okay with you." She responded definitively, with a hint of sarcasm. Then continued-

"and .. and it's been cold in my office, so I just wanted to be under some hot, steamy water." 

"Alright, alright . . . I was just wondering if everything is okay. It's our first time out of the country, so I hope you are not as nervous as I am ." 

-"Yes, everything is okay. I'm looking forward to this trip. I think getting away would be good for us. We can focus on us." She walked to the closet to grab some clothes to wear. 

- "Oh yeah ?! I mean, you can focus on me right now." He walked closer and tried to grab her body, but she jerked as soon as he touched her. She then pushed him away and said she didn't have time. She ran away quickly from the room while he stood for a minute, blowing his frustration in the air. His gut signaled his brain: something doesn't feel right.

"I am sorry, Sir, but your ticket does not qualify for a refund as it is a basic economy ticket, and I do not see that you purchased our protection plan. However, we can fill out a form to apply for an e-credit with us if you would like." 

Sam sighed heavily, shook his head in resignation, and said yes. As he waited again, he noticed the box of pizza they ordered for dinner sitting on the floor, and the gaping wound in his heart throbbed as he just realized that it was their last dinner. 

They were just about to watch another episode of Game of Thrones when his phone buzzed, letting him know it was time to check in for their flight. He put his plate down and paused the show as he joyfully tapped on his phone to check for the flight. Next to him, Sarah was cursing at her phone as she could not check-in. He smiled and asked to see the phone to check her in, which she handed him without thinking. 

"Let me see if I can do it on my iPad." She said as she tried to grab the phone back. 

"Babe, it is fine; I am just going to close the app, and . . ." he said as he swiped up the app and found her WhatsApp exchange. There were a lot of messages, and then there were pictures. Pictures he could no longer erase from his mind. He froze as he grappled with the painful reality unfolding before his eyes. Each message, each image tore him from the inside. He put the phone on the table. Sarah's eyes looked away in a mix of guilt and apprehension as she struggled to find the words to explain. His heart, once brimming with love, hope, and excitement, now felt like it would burst. A torrent of questions flooded his mind, the weight of the betrayal pressed down on his chest. Once their sanctuary, the couch they picked together now felt like a prison of deceit and heartbreak. 

Gabriel gathered his shattered pride and rose from the couch. He could not look at her, and Sarah could not utter a word. She watched him silently as he paced back and forth like a wounded tiger in a cage. Gabriel went to the bedroom and returned with the suitcase she had packed for the trip. 

"Just go." He said solemnly. 

She opened her mouth to protest but stopped. She walked hesitantly toward her suitcase, picked up her keys, and walked out. Gabriel angrily pushed the table while a silent tear traced a path down his cheek. He collapsed on the couch and closed his eyes to escape the harsh reality of his newfound solitude. 

"Sir, we are done with your refund request. I have one more question. What is the reason for the cancellation? Is it a medical emergency? A family emergency? A change of plans? Or something else?" The voice came back in his ears. 

"Change of plans." The simple sentence hung heavily in the air. A few seconds later, he ended the call, put his head in his hands, and cried. The room that an hour ago was brimming with love and calmness now felt like a dark and silent prison cell, contrasting the jarring emotions raging within him. As the minutes passed, his brain took pity on him and sent him to sleep so he could begin his healing journey, a new path that would make him whole again. 

June 07, 2024 18:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eunice S
23:05 Jun 12, 2024

I like how subtle the main character's discovery of the cheating is. He finds some pictures on his girlfriend's phone, and that's it, that's when his world ends. In contrast to his reaction towards the event, I think it's really telling of how quickly such images can affect us for so long. The briefness of the encounter with his girlfriend, alongside his grief which exists throughout the story, really helps it feel realistic and relatable. Great job!!! 👏

Reply

Miller George
20:42 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you so much for the feedback. Subtleness seems to be a theme in what I write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.