2 comments

General

  

 March 17 2029

The girls looked out the window. It was raining heavily. They could see the fat drops striking the glass then sliding lazily down the pane. But thanks to the triple glazing, which muted the sounds of the storm, Dina spoke to her little sister without needing to raise her voice. “Tanya, I don’t have any virtual lessons today, do you?”

Tanya slid the last of her peanut butter covered toast into her mouth, chewed thoughtfully, then replied, “Funny but I don’t think I have either, I’ll just check my diary.”

She looked at her phone. Everything was electronic nowadays. “Nope, I don’t have any lessons down for the next two days.”

Dina looked up, “Oh, you are lucky. Today is my only free day this week.”

The younger girl looked around, “What can we do?”

“Let’s explore the attic.”

Soon they were creeping around the dusty room strewn with cobwebs. The spiders were wintering in warm, dry quarters. Tanya made straight for the big chest in the corner. It was full of discarded dresses and fripperies going back many generations. She loved to dress up and gaze into the long, cracked mirror. The many fragmented images of her decked out in these clothes made her think which of her ancestors did she most closely resemble.

Meanwhile, Dina, at twelve, felt she had outgrown dressing up games and was prowling around looking for something else to catch her attention. Then she saw the old leather suitcase, strangely free of dust. She undid the clasp and opened it. Disappointment flooded through her. It was full of little books. She grabbed one then saw it was a diary, “Tanya, come and look at these. They are old diaries. Oh better still, it looks like Mum’s ones.”

The girls settled down to glimpse into the life of their mother growing up via her diaries.

 

December 25 1999

Nan and Gramps gave me this diary because I’m ten. I want to write something in my diary every day. Christmas was a lovely day this year. We sat in the lounge after dinner and played games until Mum and Nan brought the tea trolly through loaded with more food. I like all the chocolates, but there is always too much food.

 

July 7 1999

 My birthday, we all went to Mike’s Kitchen for a celebratory dinner. They all had steaks, but Mum knows I don’t like meat, so she asked them to make the creamy garlic mushrooms into a main meal rather than a starter. The waiters all sang Happy Birthday to me with a sparkler twinkling on a little chocolate brownie. I was so embarrassed I hate people looking at me.

 

Tanya looked puzzled, “What’s a sparkler?”

Dina answered, “I’ve seen a picture in the photograph album downstairs. It looks like a thin metal spike with a covering that sparkles when you light it. It's from the days when people had their own fireworks rather than the ones we see on the screens now.” 

 

They flicked through the diaries, only stopping if something caught their eye. That way they reached 2004, all the others had things they understood as it dealt with their growing up situations, then they reached this year.

Dina exclaimed, “Listen to this one.”

They read it together.

 

February 16 2004

When we filed into the hall for the debating society, a guy came in with me and sat with me! His name is Bernard Duval. He is one of the best debaters, but he still congratulated me after I spoke. It made me feel proud. Someone thought my speech was good. 

 March 9 2004

Bernie, that’s what all his friends call him, asked me out to coffee this morning. That’s the best Saturday morning I’ve ever had. He is a very polite guy and I like him a lot.

 

July 7 2004

My 15th birthday. As usual, we went out to dinner, but Mum and Dad said I could invite a friend to come too. It surprised them when Bernie arrived. I think they thought I would ask Melissa. Bernie and I sat together and when the folks weren’t looking, we held hands!

 

Tanya opened her eyes wide, “Oh, the beginning of the love story. How exciting!”

 

September 2007

Not seen much of Bernie, we have both been busy studying for our ‘A’ Levels. The exams are in a few weeks. We have also applied to University. If we are lucky, we will be at the same one, but I want to do a BA in art history while Bernie wants to do an engineering degree.  

 

December 2007

We both passed. I got A’s in English and Art and B’s for the rest while Bernie got A’s for all but his English. We have places but at different universities. Bernie said we could phone every day to keep in contact and we will have all the vacs at home. My folks say it will be a good test. If we survive this separation, we’ll be able to withstand anything. I know I love Bernie, so I’m sure we will come out stronger in the long run. 

 

Tanya put her hands to her face cupping her chin and waggled side to side, saying in a silly voice, “Gosh, they loved each other way back then and they are still together now.”

March 2008 

Only seeing Bernie in the vacs was a bit of a strain. I have to admit I was jealous. I thought he might go after some smart chick on the same course, that way they could talk shop. He said I was stupid to worry. I am the only girl for him. How nice is that?

 

June 24 2013

Our Graduation is in a few weeks. My ceremony is before Bernie’s so he will come and stay over then we can go back together for his. The engineering department offered him a place on the Master's course. I’ll be glad to finish with all this studying. I’ll look for a job so I can stay at home. I’m sure Mum will drive me crazy, but I could save quite a bit living at home rather than getting a flat.

July 27 2013

Bernie’s graduation went off well. His parents came up too. I’m so glad we all get on so well together. They left straight after the ceremony, but he asked me to stay. Then we went out to dinner. Today will always be special. He asked me to marry him! Naturally, I said yes! So now, I am an engaged lady with a diamond ring to prove it.

 

 

Our engagement thrilled Mother, she wanted to hijack the wedding planning. I had to put my foot down. She wants a big event, but we only want a small ceremony with a few friends and family. We need to save as much as we can for a house. Bernie was lucky to get a grant to carry on with his studies. He has to guarantee he will work for the company for two years after he qualifies. As they are in this town. It suits us down to the ground.

 

 

August 11 2004

 My Wedding Day. It was beautiful. Melissa was my bridesmaid. Mum and I did the flowers in the church and the hall yesterday. Mum sprayed them with ice water this morning, so they stayed looking fresh and beautiful. Bernie’s Mum organised the caterers. They are friends of hers. They put on a fantastic spread. All in all, a wonderful day, I’ll remember forever.

 

Dina sighed, “That’s so lovely. The wedding photo says it all.”

 November 23 2015

 My darling Daddy died this morning. He has been sick since the first attack at the end of September, but the end came quickly. He never complained, always had a smile. I don’t know how I’m going to cope. It feels as if my heart has been ripped out, now there is only a gaping hole, and it aches. It’s hard to accept I’ll never see him again, never hear his laugh again or have any more chats. He was so kind and wise. How will I go on?

 

 December 27 2015

None of us felt like celebrating Christmas this year. The wound of Daddy’s going is still too raw.

 Tanya looked quite upset, “Poor Mummy, that must be awful.”

 Tanya looked at another entry and exclaimed, “Look, Dina, this is about when you were born.” They peered at the entry and smiled at each other.

 March 18 2017

At some ridiculous hour of the morning, our daughter was born I think it was 2.35. I had a textbook pregnancy, and the birth was uncomplicated, so the Doctor said I could go home. Mum will fuss over me. Our little girl entranced Bernie, her name is Dina.

 Dina wanted the same thrill for her sister. She scrabbled around and picked up the relevant year. Holding it aloft, she said, “Let’s find your birthday too.”

 August 24 2019

Another little girl! Again, no problems, so we all came home early. Mum looked after Dina while Bernie drove me to the hospital. It was good to be home so quickly. Little Dina climbed on the bed and wanted to make friends with her new sister. It disappointed her when all Tanya did was yawn and sleep. I’m sure they will be good friends as they grow up, at least I hope so I hate the idea of dealing with fighting kids.

 

The other diaries held little interest. They had found the story from girl to mother fascinating and decided to postpone all the others to another time.

Bernie had fixed up a bell system that rang throughout the big old house, so everyone knew to meet up in the dining room. It was ringing. They needed to tidy up. Tanya had to wriggle out of the blue lace and satin froufrou before they made their way downstairs, but not before agreeing to keep silent about this peep into their mother’s early life.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

April 10, 2020 16:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Deepti Venugopal
21:12 Apr 15, 2020

I liked the way the story progress. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Felicity Edwards
17:39 Jun 01, 2020

Many thanks. Yes its always keep going!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.