3 comments

Fiction Romance High School

Disco lights. Loud music. Wild People.

I sighed and drank my liquor straight. The bartender is eyeing me but my sex hormones are nowhere to be found. I am wearing a gucci tube top with a short shorts bottom. My typical outfit everytime we're on a night out. I saw my officemates having fun on the dance floor and when I say fun- it involves making out with some babes and hot dudes. Good for them. 

"Enjoying your alone time, sexy?" A mysterious man appeared and sit beside me. I can't see him clearly because of the throbbing lights plus it's dark in here! I raised my brow at him. 

"Why? Will you take my sadness away?" taunting him. He answered me with a light chuckle. Alright, he's hot. 

"Not too fast, babe." He offered his right hand on me. Really, a gentleman in this kind of place? Heavens must be playing on me. 

"Romeo." As soon as I heard of his name, my visions got blurry and I felt a force pulling me somewhere. 

I opened my eyes and found myself in a different setting. Wait, I am never fond of bars and I admit I love classic era so much but am I really experiencing it first hand?! I am obsessed with shakespeare's works and the places described in his books. My eyes are twinkling in delight as I watched the hallway of this palace. I am even wearing a gown fit for a cotillion. If this is a dream please don't wake me up. 

This is my dream place, dream time too. I wished I exists in this life time. Is there someone who looks like me here? like parallel universe such that. I shook my head. Silly thoughts. This is just a dream so I should make most of my time.

I stopped. This dress is sure heavy. Historical classic dramas were not kidding when they say clothes like this weighed a bit. I slowed down my pace. I should act like a lady. I smiled and continued walking as if I am a royal blood of this time. 

"Lady Juliet! We've been looking for you. You're late already." What. I'm Juliet now? I laughed internally but decided to ride the situation. 

I stopped myself from drooling, the movie gave no justice to the actual place of Romeo and Juliet's first meeting. The people were dressed fabulously and they look very fine. The chandeliers, the tables, even the floors were spectacular! I wished I have my camera with me. We were all dancing in the middle now, facing each other's partner. I stared at the man in front, his stares are digging through me. 

"Why? Are you Romeo?" I grinned playfully. It faded shortly though, as he hastily pulled me outside. I saw a familiar woman watching us both but she eventually faded. What was that? Don't tell me she's?

I came back from my reverie when he pushed me to the wall and my eyes went wide. 

"How do you know?" his husky voice sent shivers through my spine. He's really Romeo?! This dream is insane. I opened and closed my mouth, no words are brave enough to come out. 

"I'm... not Juliet." was all I could utter.

"Yeah?" He went more closer and I almost choked out of breath. 

"I'm really not Juliet!" I pushed him lightly but his eyes were still on me. You might be my fave character and first love but I long accepted there's no one like you in my time. You'll forever remain in the books. Always. 

"Right. You're not Juliet, you're my enemy. Our families are rivals." 

"Yes, so stop." I am about to pushed him again but his grip on me tightened and pushed himself to kiss me. 

He groped my butt and battled his tongue with mine. His breath is intoxicating me, I felt hot. I encircled my hands on his waist and pushed him on me. We stopped to catch some air. We're both panting eyes reflecting each other's desire. 

"Let's take your mask off." I nodded. So this is what Juliet felt when Romeo knocked the air out of her. Their first meeting was indeed a blast. 

I memorized Romeo's face, from the thickness of his eyebrows, contour of his nose, moist lips probably from the kiss we shared, his eyes which illuminated the darkness, and the beautiful curve etched on his face. 

Tonight, I am Juliet. So let me cherished this moment with my favorite man. This feels surreal, as if I'm really not here. 

"You're a beauty." He whispered right in front the tip of my nose. 

"And you're a what?" I fight the urged to smile.

"A handsome beast." I almost laughed, my Romeo is funny. Fine, he's not mine. 

"I'm not Belle." I tease him. 

"I'm not a beast either." I grinned at his witty remarked. 

"Juliet." He's face went closer again. "Mine." before his lips captured mine.

I let my feelings control me. I found out that I'm not really obsessed with this time frame because of their way of life or the way they dressed. I like it here because Romeo exists here. He's my first love and I am so whipped with his character. 

I'm not Juliet but I was able to felt his love for her. It was that powerful. I wished to find that kind of love in my time.

But there's no way I'll find Romeo there, and if there's one we'll never end up anyway. Our names itself screams tragic. One that would surely end. 

After he pulled away from the kiss, I slowly opened my eyes and the cold bar counter greeted me. 

Dream's over. I sighed. 

"Hey, you alright?" that voice again. I sat properly and give my attention to the man whose name's Romeo, what a fate. 

"You're still here." I pushed my long hair back and drank the remaining liquor in front. 

"You slept." I nodded. Yeah. 

"I'm Romeo." He introduced again. He's persistent, huh. I just met the ideal Romeo in my dream but meeting one for real is not that bad. Alright. I'll try.

I extended my hand on him. He was taken aback but composed himself right away. My mouth tug upward. 

"Rosaline." his eyes widened at the mention of my name. Surprised?

"You looked like my first love." I grinned at his joke.

"Yeah? you left me for Juliet." He shook his head at my answer and smiled playfully. 

"Not this Romeo." He touched my face and leaned closer. I stared at him. My face heated already. 

"Hi, Rosaline."  

Truth is, I don't want to be Juliet. If I happens to reincarnate I wanted to be Rosaline. Her love for Romeo was sacrificial which I believe is the bravest form of love. It's hard to be left by someone you love after meeting someone for the first time, but she never chased after him. What a brave heart you have Rosaline.

"You love classical era." I blinked and face him again. 

"How do you know?" He pointed my phone and I quickly understand. 

"You wanna live there?" 

"Badly." He is amused. I could sense it. 

"Why not find your Romeo here?" I stopped myself from laughing. He sounded like he's offering himself to me or something. 

"I don't need Romeo." 

"Right. You're Rosaline. You're brave enough to let me go..." my brows furrowed after he whispered the last words. 

"Excuse me. Do I know you?" I studied his features now. We stared at each other for a good few minutes. I could now see a bit of his features because I tried really hard. 

My mouth parted in shock, eyes became wide and my face blushed in embarrassment after remembering the man in front of me. 

Shit. Did I just met my ex in highschool?! 

"You remember me now. I'm glad." he muttered in a serious tone. I remember myself dumping him because I'm afraid he'll find someone named Juliet and forgot about me. 

I know it's ridiculous but Romeo and Juliet is a very famous love story. It didn't help that my mom named me after Rosaline. Romeo's first love. It's like a cursed telling me to avoid anyone named Romeo, because in the end, I'll be left alone. Broken and crying because Romeo forgot about her after he met his true love. 

I bowed my head and was about to run away from him when he easily caught my waist. 

"Running, eh?" I gulped. I know my logic were stirred that time. That is why I have no courage to face him now! Can't he just let me go? 

When I figured he has no plans on letting me go. I sighed defeated. 

"Look. I was young back then. Both of us actually. I was easily swayed by stories and all that shits. There's no need, but I wanna say sorry. Just find your own Juliet. I'm not worth the chase." 

I excused myself and fastly went outside. I need air, it was suffocating in there. I almost jump out of shock when someone pinned me to the wall. 

"Do you want me to changed my name?" what is he saying. He looks frustrated and sad? 

"Why would you do that?" I asked confusingly. 

"Cursed our names! I just wanna be with you." his words slowly turning soft. My heart is beating erratically. 

"You won't leave me for Juliet?" I know that was a dumb question but still... 

"Baby, who's that? I only know Rosaline." my heart is beating erratically. I can't stand his stares. It's too much. 

"15 years and it's still you. Please, take me back?" his eyes are full of hope and just like that nostalgia hit me. 

Our sweet but chaos years in high school. I thought he's kidding when he said his name's Romeo. Turned out it was really his name but it's too late since I already gave him the permission to court me.

I tried to buried him in my memory but it's too late now. Our memories are flashing in my mind like a movie. Those happy moments with him. My young heart yearned for him back then. Now, it's slowly coming back. Maybe I didn't lock it properly because I was unconsciously hoping he'll find me. 

In the end, I tried to risk my heart again. He flashed a smile and kissed me. " Since we can't time travel and go to your favorite place in time, think of me as Romeo. We'll live as if we truly exists in there. It's just that, it's Romeo and Rosaline in this lifetime." I pushed myself to kiss him more. 

If ever, you'll find your own Juliet. I'll be brave enough to let you go. Like what Rosaline did to his Romeo. For now, let me cherished this moment with you.

September 30, 2020 21:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Sue Marsh
15:26 Oct 08, 2020

Jk the dialogue is choppy but the storyline itself is good, that part you nailed. You may want to use Grammarly it will help you in your writing. I think perhaps English is a second language hence the grammatical mistakes. Keep writing. Sue

Reply

Show 0 replies
Paige Leppanen
16:07 Oct 04, 2020

I liked the story but the way the dialogue was written was distracting. IMHO it'd be more impactful if one character's response was separate from a line of the other's dialogue.

Reply

Jk Writes
21:17 Oct 04, 2020

hello thank you for the advised. This is my first time writing here. I'll keep that in mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.