Shadows of the Badge

Written in response to: Write a story with a big twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Mystery Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The little girl sits on the bench, clutching a brown teddy. She rocks back and forth, occasionally, swinging the teddy left and right. Her mother, Shruti Shah sits beside her, staring at a spot a few feet ahead of her. The clock reads 7:07 pm and I can’t wait to go home. Am I selfish for thinking like that? Am I selfish for thinking about my comfort when the woman in front of me will not get to experience any sort of comfort even in the four walls of her house anymore, not with her loved one gone? This is the part of becoming a policeman, that makes me question, why I even chose this field, even to this day.

“Mrs. Shah are you ready to record your statement?” Shankar, a fellow policeman, asks, carrying a file.

She mutters something incorrigible and rushes to her feet, following him. Her daughter, about the age of six, is being watched over by a policewoman. She lifts her teddy bear and sets it upright next to her, giving it a small pat on the head. She has no idea that her entire world has just changed the previous night.

By the words of Shruti, the wife of Sanjay Shah, he was a punctual man, not wasting even a second in idle chatter with his colleagues. So, when he didn’t turn up at 8:15 pm, the previous night, Shruti was worried. It was now the next day and he still hadn’t showed up. A formal complaint was lodged and now her statement was being taken.

This is my third case under this team. The first was a shoe-store robbery. The second, was a case of fraud. This is the first case of murder I have taken up under this team. Of course, it is hard to label the case as murder. But based on my experience, over half of missing person cases ultimately turn into murder investigations.

Even though it is already seven pm, it feels like three in the afternoon. Hot air blows across my face from the table fan, doing little to cool my face. Sweat lines my forehead, and my throat is parched. My legs feel heavy and I can feel a small headache forming at the back of my head. My body is begging for me to take a break, but there's no way I can take one now. Not after an hour or not tomorrow. Not a week from now. Not while I'm working on the same team as Head Inspector Vikram Das. I’m not letting a simple headache be the thing that makes the Head inspector look down on me. My job depends on this case. If we solve this case, it could mean a promotion. When you are a policeman, your mind never really rests.


According to the file, Sanjay worked in Bee Foods, a company promoting healthy alternatives to common street foods. A quick Google search reveals that in recent times, the company had seen a substantial increase in sales especially among young mothers. Not a single controversy in the last five years? This was new. The company claimed that their foods were healthy, easy to prepare and acted as a replacement to some of the popular street foods. Overall, it seemed like a harmless company. The top three list of suspects are the ones the victim was last in contact with. This would be his colleagues. The next on the list would be anyone the victim had enmity with in the past. Then why would someone from the company attack one of his co-workers?

***

“This way sir.” The security guard leads us through the thin walls of Bees Foods. Through the glass doors, we can see the frightened faces of the employees at their desks, looking back at us. The walls are lined with posters of promoting healthy food choices and ones on how it’s not too late to start the ‘It Lifestyle’. Inspector Das leads a team of three of us. I feel a little kid who has got to meet his favorite celebrity. I have always admired Head inspector Vikram Das. He has been my companion and my role model ever since I transferred to the city. The legendary policeman had once brought down a chain of drug dealers. Stories of his bravery and valor have been shared among not only our team but several other teams in the city as well. In countless cases, when it felt like the team had hit a wall, he went out of his way and worked overtime, solving almost all the cases he was assigned to.

Inspector Das and I enter a small dimly-lit room with the two closest colleagues of Sanjay seated on wooden chairs. One, a man who appears to be in his forties with a small stubble and a balding head. From where I’m standing, I notice dark circles under his eye. Next to him, a frail woman, with short hair, looks up at us with uncertain eyes. We first ask them a few basic questions about the work hours of the company and some basic company policies.

“Tell us all you know about Sanjay.” I ask.

“Sanjay was-is a very diligent worker.” She starts. “He never missed a day of work and always finished his projects before the deadline. He was-is like my brother.” She chokes on the last sentence. I can’t help but feel sorry for this woman, who clearly, is still in shock.

The other colleague sits at the edge of his seat, fiddling with his jacket. He looks down each time a question is asked. “Mr. Akash Rao, what would you say is your relationship with Sanjay?” Inspector Das asks the man.

“Oh I…uh..Sanjay and me are great buddies. We always work in a team-me and him” his voice sounds strained. “What-uh actually happened to him?” he asks. “We don’t know for sure. All we know is he disappeared around nine pm on the eighth.” I reply.


 "Do you know who has his belongings- his car or anything else?" He asks anxiously.


“I’m sorry but we are not supposed to disclose private information about the case.”

At this he gives a tight nod and continues fidgeting with the zip of his jacket.


“What was your last interaction with Sanjay?” I ask.


“Tuesday evening” he replies confidently. I’m about to move to the next question when a small timid voice speaks up. “No Akash, don’t you remember? You left at about five that day. I remember because only Sanjay and I were working on the sauce for the vegetable patties.” Priya says hesitantly.


“Come to think of it, you’re right. The incident completely blew right through my head.” He says, chuckling awkwardly.


 Inspector Das and I exchange glances. Suspect one: Akash Rao, Colleague. I write in my notebook. This was something Inspector Das always told me. Allow enough time to pass between two questions, while questioning the suspect. Sometimes answers reveal themselves.

“Moving on” I continue. “Who do you think is capable of committing such a crime like this, in the company?”

“Not anybody that we know of” Priya starts but Akash cuts her off. “The chairman’s son.” he says in a tone of finality, nodding his head.

“What nonsense! You must be crazy to think that someone belonging to such a high position would do a thing like this.” Inspector Das, suddenly erupts, his hands curled into fists.

This is strange. Inspector Das, though outgoing, was never one to show his emotions in public. His lips pressed into a thin line, and his. nostrils flared.

After a few silent seconds, the inspector speaks, “Wrongful accusations will not be tolerated” he coughs and looks back into the file.

 Yes. That’s right.

He hates wrongful accusations and rightfully so. Something tugs at the back of my mind, but I have more important things to pay attention to. Something nags at the back of my mind, but I have more pressing matters to focus on. Like how is this man so confident that it’s the chairman’s son.

“What makes you think that?” I press.

He shrugs, saying “Everybody knows about it. Nobody here has the nerve to speak about it.” He says defensively. “You should go and talk to them instead of coming and pestering us about Sanjay.”

“We have to do the necessary questioning. Please limit yourself to the questions asked.” Inspector Das commanded.

After an hour, we leave the main exit of the building. Just as we are about to walk to the car, I get an idea. “Sir, we should probably question the chairman and the head team of Bees Foods too.” I say.

“I don’t think that would be necessary.” Inspector Das replies with a smile and starts walking back to the car.

Of course. Whatever Mr.Rao said was just to shift the blame from himself. Moreover, Sanjay is not at such a high position to be known by the head team personally. “Yes, you’re right.” I manage to say. I’m suddenly feeling foolish for suggesting this. How can I be so immature. Fifteen years in the field has seriously not thought me anything. I walk to the car feeling embarrassed by my actions.

***

 As we reach the police station, an exhausted Shruti Shah is seen pacing the entrance of the station. She is holding what appears to be flyers in her hand. Upon seeing us, she comes running and shoves a few flyers in my hand.

‘Name: Sanjay Shah. Age:43 years Last spotted: Bees Foods main building, 5th cross, 7th street, MB road’, it reads.

“I hope these flyers are enough. I have more which are getting printed right now.” She looks up at us bloodshot eyes. I feel sorry for this poor woman. Her hair is askew, and the eye bags under her eyes are clear giveaway that she’s not slept ever since her husband went missing. “Yes, Mrs. Shah these flyers will be enough.” I go on, “We’re doing the best we can. The best you can do is to also take care of yourself”

“I’m trying” she whispers. She gives a small nod and just then I can see the great effort it takes for her to not burst into tears.

“I didn’t know if I should have said this on the day of the questioning but” she hesitates but goes on “Sanjay is excellent at his job. He has earned two awards for Excellent Researcher and even though he denies that his colleagues aren’t jealous of him, I know they are. Akash Rao, If I am correct has always been jealous of my husband. He simply fails to see it. I remember once Akash almost tried to burn the food my husband was working on. He called it "an accident" but I’m very sure he did it because of spite.” she says with air quotes.

“Mrs. Shah why didn’t you disclose this earlier?” I ask. It has been four days already. Sanjay still hasn’t showed up. “I didn’t want to falsely accuse him” she sobs.

“It’s not too late this information is useful to us thank you.” I’m robbing a wife of her husband by wasting time. The sign of a good policeman is his good nature. The voice of Inspector Das rings in my head. Always be patient with the victim’s family. This was another important rule reminded to me by him, over and over again during my initial years. I thank her again for the piece of information and run back to my office.

Sitting at my desk, I start preparing the file for the suspects: So far, we have one suspect. Suspect and victim were colleagues. Suspect was jealous over Sanjay’s achievements. Asked too many questions during questioning. Provided a false motive in order to shift the blame on someone else. This is going to be a shorter case than I thought.

“Sir I have new clues on the missing case of Sanjay Shah.” Ramu, sub inspector comes running in.

 “Come in”

“Sir the residents and shopkeepers of the suspected murder site admitted to hearing gun shots at around 9 pm on Tuesday.” He says, panting.

A chill runs down my spine. Surely this has nothing to do with the case.

He goes on, “They also found a jacket which similar to the one wore by Mr Shah on Tuesday.” No this can’t be true. He brings out the blue Bees Foods jacket and sets it on the table carefully with gloved hands. The left sleeve has a blood stain splattered over it. My voice suddenly goes dry. He brings out a plastic zip lock with a gun in it. I try to calm my already racing heart. “This gun was found about a kilometer away from the possible murder scene. It still has a bullet left in it.” I can’t believe it. My voice is stuck in my throat.

“Has the gun been checked for finger prints?” I ask. “Inspector Das is going to take care of that.”

“Yes” Inspector das appears behind Ramu. He trembles upon hearing inspector Das’s voice. In the initial days, I too was like that. “Yes sir” he replies, his voice shaking. Ramu joined the team about a year ago and I can only imagine how much he too looks up inspector Das He is like a soldier, guiding his army of men to rule-in this case provide justice to the people.

Inspector Das’s eyes sweep across the room. His face seems neutral as if he isn’t in the slightest affected by the news of Sanjay’s death. This is not usually like him. Maybe he’s too shocked to process things.

No more than a minute later that Inspector Das has left the room that I remember Akash. I have to let him know, so that we can get a match between the fingerprints on the gun and Akash’s.

The police station is always bustling with activity. To the right of the main door, there are a set of double doors led to the squad room, a large, open space filled with rows of desks. The evidence locker is on the floor below. Unfortunately, the elevators were out of order since the beginning of the week. As I'm running down the staircase, a small blob of inspector das is seen approximately two floors below, his blue gloved hands visible under the dim lights of the staircase. But why was he headed for the first floor? Something is not adding up.


“Not yet. The image of a shattered Shruti, comes into my mind. Now all there’s left to do is bring down Akash to the station and make him confess to the crime. Such a filthy man. Robbing one of her husband and a child of her father. He will be punished and I’ll make sure he realises his mistake.


*To be continued*



July 26, 2024 18:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.