Toffee's Big Secret

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who goes on a journey.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

Toffee had a big secret. Even though he looked like a simple brown and white dog you might find in any pet shop, Toffee was not simple. He was special. He could talk.

All animals can talk in their own special way, but Toffee could speak like a human. It was a secret he never shared with anyone, not even his best friend, Ash. He thought that if humans knew he could talk, they’d be very upset.

Toffee was adopted from an animal shelter by Ash when he was just a puppy. He was sad to leave behind his mom and brothers, but he was happy that he had found a new friend. Ash was kind to Toffee.

They played soccer together every day. It was Ash and Toffee’s favourite game. Ash would give him baths on Saturdays. Toffee liked Sundays the most because then Ash gave him a special supper of chicken and rice in a milky gravy. 

One day, when they were playing cricket in the yard, Ash hit the ball too hard. It was heading straight for Mum’s car.

“Watch out!” shouted Toffee out loud. 

Ash was so surprised about his dog’s ability to speak, that he wasn’t even scared when the cricket ball went straight through Mum’s window. 

“You can talk!” exclaimed Ash. 

Toffee didn’t know what to do.

“Yes,” he answered sheepishly after a short silence.

“How long have you been able to talk?” asked Ash.

“About 49 dog months. That would be seven human months,” answered Toffee. 

“Wow, that is amazing,” said Ash, scratching Toffee behind his ear. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner, boy?”

“I was afraid that you wouldn’t want to be my friend. Or that you’d give me away to someone else. I like living here,” replied Toffee.

A thought occurred to Ash.

“You are right. Not all people are friendly. I will never give you away. But because you are special, someone might want to steal you. Let’s make a rule,” said Ash. He wanted to protect Toffee. He knew that his dog was different than other dogs and bad people would want to use Toffee’s ability to make themselves rich.

“Alright, what is The Rule?” asked Toffee, wagging his tail. “Rule” sounded like a new game that Ash was about to makeup and Toffee loved Ash’s games. 

“The Rule is you are only allowed to talk to me and we can only talk inside the house, when we are alone,” said Ash. “This must be our secret, alright?”

“But what if I get excited when I see you come home from school? That is my favourite part of the day!” exclaimed Toffee. 

Ash laughed.

“It is my favourite part of the day too. But then you must bark as the other dogs do!”

Toffee wagged his tail even harder. He was very happy that Ash still loved him, even though he was different.


But Ash and Toffee lived next door to some very bad people. The boy who lived there was named Terry and he was walking past Ash’s house when Toffee was speaking. He secretly took out his phone to record Ash and Toffee’s conversation.

That night, Terry showed his dad the video.

“Dad, Toffee can speak! I want a dog that speaks!” demanded Terry. He was a very spoiled boy. But Terry’s dad was already making other plans, after seeing Toffee talking like a human.

“Terry, this dog can make us rich beyond our wildest dreams!” shouted Terry’s dad. “If we sell him to a movie producer in Hollywood, we can make a lot of money!”

“But Toffee belongs to Ash. How can we sell him?” asked Terry.

“Tomorrow, while Ash is at school, we will go steal Toffee from the yard,” said Terry’s dad, walking out of the room. He was already making a phone call.

Terry liked money, but not as much as his dad did. He knew that Ash loved Toffee a lot and he would be very sad if he came home and Toffee was gone. But Terry couldn’t disobey his dad, could he?


The following morning, after Ash had left for school, Toffee lay under the tree. The sun was shining brightly and he had a full tummy from a delicious breakfast. He was going to have a nap so that when Ash came home, they could play together. He drifted off into dreamland.

Toffee didn’t hear the garden gate open. He was startled awake by someone grabbing his collar.

“I got him! Bring the bag!” shouted a man.

Toffee was stuffed into a hessian bag. He could see through the loose weave of the bag that the man was carrying him out of his yard. The man threw the bag into the back of the car. 

“Oh no!” thought Toffee. He was very scared.

“Dad…” said a boy. Toffee recognised the boy from next door. Terry was sitting on the seat next to him.

“Not now, Terry,” said the man. He had a phone clamped to his ear. He was telling someone on the other end of the line to meet them at the Tropic Cafe. Terry was playing on his phone.

Toffee closed his eyes, feeling very alone and scared. He must think of a way to escape. He had to be brave.

He had to use his power. He had to break The Rule Ash made. Maybe if he told Terry and his dad what they were doing was wrong, they’d let him go.

“Psst, Terry,” whispered Toffee.

Terry leaned over and peered inside.

“Terry, this is wrong. You know that Ash will be very sad if he sees that I am not at home. Please let me go!” pleaded Toffee.

“I’m sorry. I can’t disobey my dad. He said he will use some inf his money to buy Ash a new dog,” said Terry, closing the bag again.

Toffee could see that Terry was looking out the window, not paying attention to Toffee...or the phone that was laying on the seat between them. 

Toffee had a plan.

He scooted in the bag, towards the phone. Terry’s dad was still talking on the phone. Terry was still just staring out of the window.

Terry’s dad drove around the corner suddenly. The phone on the seat slid towards Toffee. He did a little happy dance inside. He needed to get to the phone. 

Toffee used his paw to press the middle button on Terry’s phone. He heard a beep. As loud as he could, Toffee said: “Siri, call Ash!”

A whirr of noises sprung from the phone, followed by a robotic voice saying: “Calling Ash.”

“No, cancel Siri!” shouted Terry’s dad from the front seat. He reached back and grabbed Terry’s phone from the seat.

“Thought you were clever, eh dog?” said Terry’s dad, smugly.

Toffee felt doomed.


The car came to a stop outside the Tropic Cafe. The humans got out of the car. Toffee could hear muffled voices, but couldn’t see much. 

He signed. 

Suddenly, the door opened and Terry’s dad lifted the bag from the back seat.

“This is the dog. He speaks, like a human,” said Terry’s dad. Toffee could see a short man with slicked-back hair, gold chains around his neck, and sunglasses on his face, staring at the bag.

“I don’t know, man,” said the man. “That sounds far-fetched.”

“I’ll demonstrate,” said Terry’s dad. “Dog, say something.”

Toffee barked. The Rule was he was only allowed to speak to Ash and only at home. He had already broken The Rule once today and it got him into big trouble.

Frustrated, Terry’s dad dug into his pocket, taking out his phone.

“Look here! See!” Terry’s father shoved the phone into the other man’s face. Toffee was shocked to hear the conversation he and Ash had on the lawn yesterday, coming from the phone’s speaker. 

The man smiled.

“Ron is going to be very happy,” said the man. He took a big roll of notes from his pocket and gave it to Terry’s dad. Terry’s dad handed the bag with Toffee inside to the man.

All of a sudden there were sirens. Police cars surrounded the Tropic Cafe.

The man holding Toffee in the bag took out a badge.

“Police, you’re under arrest for theft and attempts to deal with exotic animals!”

The man took Toffee out of the bag.

“You’re going to be ok, boy. We’ll take you home to Ash.”


The police car pulled into Ash’s drive way. Toffee was so excited to see Ash. But he remembered The Rule and only barked because there were other people around.

“Toffee! I’m so glad you’re home” said Ash, hugging Toffee.

Once the people had left and Ash and Toffee were safely in front of the television, watching their favourite television programme, Toffee spoke again.

“Ash, how did the policemen know to bring me home?” he asked.

“Terry felt very guilty his dad was going to steal you. He phoned my dad and told him what his dad was up to. My dad phoned the police.”

Toffee curled up tightly next to Ash, happy to be home. As hugged him.

“You belong here, Toffee. I will always be your best friend,” said Ash.


May 12, 2020 18:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.