The Last Episode of Second Chances

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about a TV show called "Second Chances."... view prompt

1 comment

General

The Last Episode of Second Chances 

By: Noah Bhalloo

I always dreamed of going on the show Second Chances. And I was sitting at the Christmas Tree while my family was going to surprise me. I opened a lot of presents and none of them seemed to be what I really wanted. Then, the last one was my jackpot. I opened it and it said, “Congratulations, James Garmand, You have won a ticket to Second Chances.” I screamed with joy and hugged everyone in the room. I was going to Seattle to be on the show Second Chances. The show was about a chance to go back in time through a machine and fix your mistakes. You go into a time machine and you have a second chance to make things right. The host was Oprah Winfrey. The show came out in 2030. It was ending with the last episode that I was going to be on. So, off I was the next day from San Diego to Seattle. When I got to Seattle, Second Chances was live in 30 minutes, so I quickly rushed to the studio and there I saw Oprah Winfrey for the first time in real life. It was very exciting, but we aired in a few minutes so we got in our positions. The director said, “5...4...3...2...1.” Oprah introduced me to the audience and then asked me where I want to go back in time and what I wanted to fix. I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to go back to August 13th, 2020, the day I caused my parents to get divorce. I was very immature back then. I always would scream about how I never got my way. Then, my father left my mother because he was frustrated with me being out of control. While my mother tried to calm me down, my father yelled at her and me. And so, he never came back. I told Oprah this and she said that it was a great choice for a second chance. She then told me to step into the time machine. Everyone counted from 5 to 1 and soon I teleported into a new time, which was cool. At first, everything was pitch black, but then I appeared to be outside of my old house that was in Orange County. I saw someone running into the kitchen inside. It was my brother Ronald. He yelled, “Hey mama, James is screaming like he usually does and he destroyed his new transformer that you got him today at the toy store.” My mother then got up from one of the kitchen seats and you could tell she was very exhausted. She walked to the stairs to go stop young James and Ronald went to his room to play a game. It was now my chance to enter the house. Like he always did, Ronald left the garden door open. However, I had an idea to distract my mother from getting to the past me and my father getting mad. I quickly rang the doorbell on the front door and rushed back to the garden door. I saw my mother come through the corridor. She then opened the front door and then I quickly rushed up the stairs to me from the past. I touched young James very softly and he stopped crying and looked over his shoulder. I said, “Be quiet, James. You will regret it.” He then said, “Who are you?” I replied by saying, “I am the future you from 2036. They have time machines then.” Luckily I was gullible back then, but it was the truth. He smiled and said, “Oh, I recognize a few facial features. Plus, I do look handsome, but what do you want?” I said, “You are about to make the worst mistake of your life. Do you know that due to your complaining, you get your parents divorced? So, be quiet. I lived my life thinking about the mistake I made. I was wrong. I want you to go apologize to your parents, okay. And don’t tell them that I was here.” He nodded and then I left. On my way back to the time machine I saw young James and his parents hug it out. I smiled and approached the time machine. I then came back to 2036 and everyone in the audience clapped. I looked around at the audience and saw my parents sitting next to each other in the audience clapping. I smiled at them. My second chance was a success! The next day, my parents and I left for the airport to go back to San Diego. When we arrived at our gate in the airport, it was the gate for Los Angeles. I then said, “Why are we going to Los Angeles? Are we having a layover?” My father said, “What? Do you expect us to go to San Diego or something?” “Actually, yes. Isn’t that where we live?”, I said, but then I thought that maybe my past self had changed the location of where we live. So, I said, “Just playing with you.” We arrived in Los Angeles about 2 hours later. Once we got out of the airport at LAX, I looked at an SUV and said, “That kind of looks like our Honda SUV.” My mother said, “What. Our Lamborghini Urus? No, way. Oh, it looks like your father has called the limoscene.” My jaw dropped when I saw it. I was so happy with my new life. We drove down the streets of Los Angeles and arrived in Beverly Hills. I said, “So this is where we live. Nice.” My parents looked at me and said, “Is everything okay, James.” I replied by saying, “Everything is just right.” My new house was a mansion. The TV show really changed my life. Did grandma still live with us? No, I figured out she was in a care home. How did my parents become rich? They could afford many things when they used their money together. So, before you think about doing bad things, think again because your future could be endangered. And second chances are very rare before 2030.

August 14, 2020 17:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

✨Abby ✨
06:39 Dec 03, 2020

Very cool

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.