0 comments

General

      Sam never did like New Year's resolutions. It was not that he had nothing to change in his life. Nor was he never motivated enough to carry any resolutions out. It was more the feeling that everyone wanted to know what his resolutions where. Why did it matter to others?, he used to think. These where plans that he was making to improve himself, not them.

           Of course things changed when Julie came into his life. She cared about Sam's resolutions because she wanted to help him finish them. He was unsure, at first. Yes, he did see the benefit of having someone to be accountable to, and have someone give him ideas when he got off tract. Maybe that's what everyone else was trying to do, Sam thought. Maybe I should not have pushed people away.

           Still, that was then, and this is now. Julie had convinced Sam to go into the bookstore, and look at the self-help books to see what might appease him. Logical, he thought. He may see something he always wanted to do.

           "Can I help you, Sir?" said the store staff member.

           "No, thank you," Sam said, trying to figure out where she appeared from. He was certain that she noticed his little "dance" when she spoke. He was too engrossed in reading the titles of the books. "I'm just browsing. Seeing what there is to see. What I have read. What I haven't read. What I think is total crap," he said, smiling.

           "Yes, I understand what you mean. I have never been a true fan of science fiction. They can make up any plot point to fit the need of their story. Writers totally ignore physics, anatomy, chemistry . . . Well, you know what I mean. If you do need anything, I'll be around. I don't mean you can't buy science fiction. It's just not my cup of tea."

           "I know what you mean," Sam replied. "I'm not into true crime novels. I can get all the information about how someone killed someone on TV. But, I suppose, I should get out of the science fiction section, before my wife comes. We are supposed to meet here, in the store."

           "She not a science fiction fan either?"

           "No. Not that. I'm supposed to be picking out a self-help book to become my New Year's Resolution."

           "I see," that sales woman said, trying not to laugh too loudly. "I could see how she would not see the latest exploits of Captain Kirk may not improve your personal being in the next couple of months."

           "But this guy may have to die!" Sam says pointing to the picture of the character on the cover.

           "Really?! The one beside it the engineer may have to die. And, that thicker one, the captain may have to die"

           The two break into a fit of laughter. When the clerk gets her bearings, she looks at Sam, and says, "Aisle 3, about mid way down. And I saw you there the entire time."

           "Thank you," Sam smiled back, as he headed to the self-help section.

           When Sam started to look at the self-help books, all he could think was that the section was as large as the science fiction section. He could improve his sex life, his health, his weight (though he kind of thought they were the same book!). Each one made what the writers said was "measurable goals.

           Stop smoking in 5 days!

           Lose 50 pounds in 30 days! Or 20! Or 10!

           Expand your mind in 5 easy steps. This one made Sam laugh, out loud. As, he looked up, over the shelving unit, the clerk walked by in the next aisle.

           "I'm not sure laughing at the books will help, Sir."

           "It was just the idea that I could expand my mind, to make it 5 times larger. Wouldn't the doctors have to crack my skull open to fit a brain that expanded."

           "Sir, I told you that the science fiction section is not a place for self-help books," she responded, laughing.

           Sam was smiling as he returned to looking at the titles.

           "Any good leads," Julie said, coming down the aisle towards Sam.

           "No, and the sales staff have been no help at all. This one," Sam said, pointing at the clerk. "I think her real job is stand up at the comedy club."

           "I work with what's given me, Sir," The clerk replied.

           "He was in the science fiction section, wasn't he?"

           "Why no ma'am, he's been right there since he came in the store," the clerk said with a half grin on her face.

           "Oh, I see," Julie said, turning to Sam. "Getting the bookstore staff to lie for you know. Is this how our marriage is going to work?"

           "She was very helpful."

           Julie just stared at Sam. She smiled, and shook her head.

           "You knew all about me before you married me," Sam said, laughing.

           "I'll be at the counter," the clerk said, going to the cash.

           "Thank you," Julie said as the clerk left. Returning to Sam, she said, "Seriously though, do you not see something that may interest you."

           "Well, yeah, but . . ."

           "Oh, which one?"

           "It's not a self-help book. And before you say it, it's not a science fiction book."

           "Okay."

           "Well, in the art section, I saw a book about learning how to draw cartoon characters. I gave up learning how to paint, because I could never do people right."

           "Yeah, you said that's why you like photography instead."

           "Exactly, maybe it could help me draw people. Or all my paintings could have cartoon characters. My own, of course, because I don't want to get sued."

           "Sure. And maybe next year, you could take a class in photography. Get a real camera, and stuff like that."

           "So, I can get the cartoon book?" Sam said sheepishly.

           "Yeah. I just want to get a book too. I'll meet you at the counter."

           "Cool!"

           Sam went off to find the art book he saw. As he went to the cashier, he leafed through the book. He knew they were teaching specific characters, but he figured he really could figure out some of his own. When he got to the counter, the clerk wasn't there. He looked around to see both her and Julie coming from the cooking section.

           "What did you get?" Sam asked.

           "A book on baking bread from scratch. And, Claire, here, helped me find this book." Julie moved the bread book to reveal the science fiction book that Sam had picked up before. "This is a new one, right?"

           "Yes, Ma'am."

           "Well, then I will get it for you."

           "Thank you Ma'am."

           "We are just going out somewhere special for supper."

           "Yes, Ma'am."

           "Thank Claire."

           "Thank you, Claire," Sam said, facing the clerk.

           She smiled back, saying, "You're welcome."

           "See, I know what you like," Julie said, taking out her debit card.

           "I love you too," Sam said, smiling.

           

       

January 22, 2020 07:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.