1 comment

Fiction Drama Sad

Lucia heard the phone alert which meant it was time for her to get her achy 49 year old out of shape body down the stairs and start the coffee. Before her eyes opened and hand reached for the phone the pain over whelmed her. "Why does he expect me to make the coffee?, he's the one that has to leave this early" she asked herself.

Charlie rolled over as Lucia's struggle to the end of the bed began. "You get up, you make the stupid coffee I am in sever pain! while your at it get me my medication" Lucia screamed in her head.

Soon as her feet hit the floor a shockwave of pain caused her to freeze. She would not squeal with pain as not to wake the man she married 30 years ago. She coaxed her legs to move and winced in silence at every step it took to get to the bathroom. "Please someone help me onto this toilet, my back does not want to work with me this morning, I'm not sure how long my bladder is going to hold out" she begged silently.

Charles jr., a.k.a Chuck would certainly help his mother but he too would be started his work day soon and expect his lunch bag to be filled and ready for when he darted out the door. Rosetta would not hear her mothers plea, if she did she would be sure to capture Lucia's struggle and post it to her blog after much laughter. "Rosetta get your lazy butt in here and help me, do not even think about touching your phone or cracking one joke, just help!"

Rocco, the family dog heard Lucia which was his cue to start begging to be let out and relive himself followed by demands for his morning meal. " I love you boy, but I did not need another thing in this house to take care of, those fools wanted you and swore to be your care giver but it all falls on me like everything else around here"

Filling the coffee pot her hands throbbed and shoulders felt like they were going to betray her at any moment and cause another pot to break. " I told you tp put the maker closer to the sink so we wouldn't go through a pot a month"

After swallowing the medication that at least gave her the ability to make it through the morning and anticipate the next dose Lucia went tot he fridge in hopes there was enough eggs and bacon. No one left the house without a full belly. "Do you people not see the pain I am in, eat a bowl of cereal or have fruit for gods sake"

An hour later the medication allowed her to climb back up to wake everyone. Chuck never woke till his father was yelling up the steps that he would never get a city job if keeps it up. Rosetta's routine was not much different but daddy would never scold her.

"She is following her brothers foot steps of disrespect, but princess runs this house"

Charles reached out to pull Lucia onto the bed. "No, please I hurt too much, I can't...no I don't want to keep up with you. In sickness and health, right? Well I am sick" Lucia forced a smile and as soft of a kiss as she could. She climbed onto her husband. "Oh how I miss the days this was as exciting for me as it obviously is for you. Do you think I am some machine? Do you think this feels good? Oh dear I love you and know I would never leave you or forgive you for straying but if this continues you ought to find someone that wants to keep up"

Her duty now complete and feet back on the floor and taking the 12 steps one at a time she lifted the heavy cast iron pan onto the stove preparing to make crispy bacon, half cooked bacon, sausage links, home fries and 3 different type of eggs.

"Why do you insist I cook in this god awful pan, you can not tell me food truly taste different and can't you people just eat all the same crap?"

Rosetta started shouting in her classic teenage attitude that she had nothing to wear. "Well if you would put your clothes away after I take the time to launder instead of throwing them on the floor you ungrateful brat"

Lucia's belly full with medication never allowed her to sit for breakfast, she did manage to sip black coffee and at least be present during breakfast. "The least you people could do is join in conversation"

"Rosetta, what are you plans for today..." Lucia mistakingly questioned. After her rant she had the nerve to tell her mother where to be parked when she got out of school.

"ya know what, you can walk, walk straight home do your homework and help get dinner started cause you are not doing anything else for at least a week you brat"

Breakfast was consumed without any sort of gratitude, they went up to dress and gather belongings for their day. Lucia cleared the table, gave Rocco the left overs and started the dishes. "Come on, I just live here, am I the made?"

She heard the front door slam knowing it was Chuck on the brink of being late for work. Quickly she shuffled to catch him before his car door closed bringing him his lunch that he always forgot and reaching up to kiss him goodby. Rosetta trailing out the door telling g her mother Roger , the boyfriend, was waiting down the block to take her to school. "I hate that boy, Harte that he does not come to the door and show his face, down the block! what does he think this is?"

Charles was still sitting at the head of the table asking her to sit with him a moment. "A moment, yes I would love that, is it my time you want or is this going to be the moment you tell me what I should do for you today and what you expect tonight?"

Sure, my love I can give you all my time, She said as loving as she could. Full from breakfast he began giving instructions for dinner as if she has not been cooking for the family for too many years. "No, I hate the chicken cooked like that, I don't think my stomach can handle it once I take my medication. How about we order out and give me a break tonight?" Charles went on to state errands he needed her to do and assuring she made an appointment for Chuck's car since his engine light has been on.

Lucia walked Charles to his car embracing him and sending him off with a kiss and lunch. "Have a wonderful day my love" she told him as she shut the car door.

"I love my family but hate that they don't see me, really don't give a crap about me. Not one of the ingrates offered to take me for my treatment today. I guess I'll call an uber!

January 13, 2021 17:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sheila Payne
23:11 Jan 20, 2021

awee..i love the twist at the end.I was going to use this prompt but wasnt sure how or where to go with it.you did it flawlessly,.very good..

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.