0 comments

Science Fiction

The effects of climate change and the resulting consequences are a direct result of the human race inability to protect their home.

It's been ten years since the climate apocalypse devastated humanity and turned earth into a wasteland. No more oceans. No more plants. No more animals. No more blue skies.

Lucy watched the effects climate change had on the planet and knew the results would be catastrophic, but nobody believed her. Everyone took science for granted, believing that scientists would have the answers to their problems. This was not the case. Climate change was the one thing scientists didn't have the answers too.

Lucy worked hard trying to convince everyone that climate change was real and it was happening. No one listened. They turned a deaf ear to Lucy, but Lucy never gave up.

Everyday Lucy worked hard to avoid the impending climate apocalypse. Her hard went unnoticed until it was too late. The worse happened and now it's too late.

Lucy is only one of a dozen people that prepare for the climate apocalypse and she thanks god everyday because Lucy is able to provide food and shelter for her family while others are struggling to survive. Lucy does special things for the people in her community, things they don't know about.

Since the beginning of the climate apocalypse Lucy has been secretly helping her community. Little by little Lucy's been giving food from her hydroponic garden to members of her community. They don't know who's been giving out food, but they are happy and grateful to this person.

Lucy goes to her garden everyday during times when the weather is nice and times when the weather is bad to tend to her garden and to make preparations for her secret food delivery.

When Lucy goes outside she wears a special suit to protect herself against the harsh climate. Lucy doesn't like to wear the suit, but she has no choice. Many people have died because of the climate change. One of the many consequences people suffered because of their ignorance. Lucy is not one of those people and she taught her family how to be responsible towards the planet so they won't have to suffer and she thanks god her family listened to her.

Lucy is in her garden getting all the vegetables and other items ready to go. Lucy has made care packages for her community in which she leaves in front of their doorstep.

When Lucy is not tending her garden she goes for a walk around her community and sees the devastation first hand. Lucy hates what the people have done to cause this, this all could have been prevented if the people took better care of the planet.

Lucy misses seeing the ocean, the forest, plants, animals and clear blue skies, but most of all Lucy misses going to work. Being a scientist gave Lucy purpose, now her purpose is to help her community survive.

Lucy has the care packages ready to go, and afterwords Lucy is going to her favorite spot , a place she always went too even before the climate apocalypse, the beach.

Lucy puts the care packages in her wagon and she sets off for the first of her deliveries. The first delivery is to a family of five, the Conor's family. The Conor's family has three small children. Lucy sees this as a top priority.

Lucy puts the package in front of the Conor's house. She knocks on the door, then runs away. Lucy stands behind one of the few trees that still remains. She sees Mr.Conors opening the door, he looks down, smiles and picks up the package. Lucy is happy. She goes back to her wagon. On to her next delivery the Patterson's.

The Patterson's are an elderly couple who survived the climate apocalypse, but struggling to survive. Lucy goes to them next and just like she did with the Conor's family, Lucy puts the package in front of the Patterson's door and rings the bell, then runs away. Lucy stands in the middle of the Patterson's field and watches as Mr. Patterson opens the door, he looks down, smiles and picks up the package. Lucy is happy. She goes back to her wagon and onto her next delivery.

Lucy does the exact same thing to all the members of her community. She leaves the package on the doorstep, rings the bell, runs away and watches from afar when they open the door and see the package.

Lucy is heading to her favorite place the beach better yet what is left of the beach which is not much. Lucy goes there to think about things from ten years ago when the world was still the world.

Lucy in her own words

I remember a time when science meant something too so many people, solving problems and just having fun, that was before science became obsolete.

Ten years ago my home was devastated by a climate apocalypse the warnings were there. No one took it seriously. I was the only one who cared about this planet and saving it, nobody else did. They all ignore me and told me I was crazy. I wasn't. I was right. The climate was changing at a rapid pace. Nobody care except for me and when the inevitable came it was too late. All my hard work down the drain.

My home slowly stared to become a wasteland. Each day I saw plants, animals, the ocean dying until no more was left. Now look where I live, place that is barren and toxic.

The people are suffering. I do what I can to help them. I give the people homemade vegetables from my hydroponic garden, but that's not enough. What we need is to have our home back to the way it use to be, that's impossible. Earth will never be what it was that's a fact of life. I think the people are starting to realize that. Me I known for a long time we were doomed. Us humans were too ignorant to believe we were indestructible.

As I look out at what was once the Pacific Ocean I wonder to myself if I only tried harder then this wouldn't have happened, but I didn't try harder. I let it go believing that we would protect our land, ocean and the abundant life.

We didn't do what we needed as humans to protect our home. We only have ourselves to blame. Climate change is real and if we don't do what we need to do to avoid the inevitable then we are all doomed like what happen to me and my home.

These are the consequences we did to ourselves.

April 21, 2021 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.