Chance Meeting

Submitted into Contest #31 in response to: Write a short story about someone heading home from work.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Tired from his day at work, George found himself fighting his insomnia again. He stepped out of his office and to his car, fumbling with his keys. He found himself still aggravated by his superior, who had the nerve to brag about his fancy new car. George looked at his old Pontiac and even though this car annoyed him with the oil leak, it still run and got him to work every day.

"Well not everyone has extra money coming in from their rich parents. Stupid Richard. Always likes to brag about his money."

George thought this to himself, grinding his teeth slightly as he unlocked his car door and got inside. Cranking his car, he looked to see the blue Gatorade he was drinking earlier. He opened it and took a sip, not caring that it tasted funny from before. He backed out of his parking space and began his drive home. It wasn't too far of a distance and he debated on what fast food places nearby he could stop in and get a quick bite to bring home.

He didn't cook much for himself, not having the inspiration anymore. It wasn't too much time ago that he had a wife that he would cook for. He had such a passion for it and she loved everything he ever made. Over a year ago however, she was mugged when out shopping one night. She wanted to get some things from the store and George was too tired from his job to go with her. Miranda looked at him with her bouncy brown hair and bright green eyes, smiling and patting him on his shoulder.

"You rest here honey. I'll be back in just a bit."

That was when she left, and never returned home. George was called on his cellphone an hour later, waking him from a nap he was having in his chair. That's when he got the news and had to go confirm his wife's body. The breakdown he had from this loss, has left him feeling nothing on the inside. Even though some time had passed, he preferred not to think about it, or much for that matter. Just work and sleep. Eating when needed.

George drove past the typical fast food restaurants, McDonald's, Bojangles, Hardees' and a few others. His search came to a halt however, when the car in front of him stopped suddenly. George stepped on his break quickly, but due to the rain fall that happened earlier, the road was slick, and his car gently bumped the one in front.

"Great... Just great."

George turned off his car and stepped out, walking up to the car in front of him. The door opened and out stepped a young woman. She turned around, looking a little flustered. George wanted to act immediately and try not to make things worse.

"Hey I am so sorry. It was a tiny bump but I will fix it if I have to."

The woman was shaking her head, but didn't seem mad. She looked at George, her green eyes catching in the headlights.

"It's no problem. Just a little love tap."

The woman flipped her medium brown hair back from her face and looked at where the cars touched.

"Yeah see? No problem at all."

George just looked at the woman, his tongue dry in his mouth. This was the first woman he had seen that caught his eye. Yes she was beautiful, a delicate face, but not too young. Based on her outfit, she had good taste and seemed very down to Earth. George felt a tinge of guilt to be looking at this woman in admiration. It was eerie how much she looked like his past wife. George found himself able to finally talk back.

"Yeah no problem."

The woman approached George with her hand out.

"I'm Sarah Green. I'm sorry we had to meet like this but hey, it could have been worse."

Her laugh was lighthearted and almost cute. George shook her hand and couldn't take his eyes off of her. They stopped shaking hands and Sarah began walking back to her vehicle. George felt his stomach flutter and felt his body move without his will.

"Hey!"

George stopped, reaching out and pulling his hand back quickly. Sarah had stopped to look back, smiling slightly.

"Yes?"

George felt stupidly shy for a moment. But managed his words again.

"To make up for the uh... bump. Did you want me to buy you dinner?"

Sarah blinked a few times and then brushed her hair behind her ear, shyly looking down.

"Sure. I just need to change out of my work clothes and then we can meet."

Sarah reached into her car, grabbing her purse and pulling a card from her wallet. She walked back to George and handed him the card.

"This is my business card. I run a spa and nail salon. My business number is the first one, but the appointment number is my personal cell. Give me a call when you are at home and ready."

Sarah smiled and walked back to her car, getting inside and drove away. George stood there dumbstruck for a moment and for the first time in half a year, he felt himself genuinely smile. He got into his car and the whole way home he grinned to himself. He still had on his wedding ring, and when he looked at it, he remembered his late wife's words.

"I just want you to be happy. Even if I cannot be there, you better be happy Georgie."

He felt a tear escape his eye and he wiped it away. When he pulled into his driveway, he rushed into his house and straight to his bedroom. He took off the wedding ring and held it for a moment. He thought to himself:

"I promise Miranda. I miss you and love you so much, but I will be happy."

George prepared himself for his first date since his loss, and went on to have a wonderful date with the lovely Ms. Sarah Green, who ended up being exactly the person that George needed to give his life back its spark.

March 05, 2020 23:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.