how I met your girlfriend...

Submitted into Contest #40 in response to: Write a story about two people who meet and become instant friends.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

"Hey Lex?" he asks gently, surprising me out of my daydream. 


"Yeah Noah?" I reply, my voice was just as soft. 


"How did you meet Twyla again?" he murmurs, running a hand through his messy brown hair. 


I smile slightly, already being brought back to the day. 


"It was a nice, slightly breezy, summer day..." I begin slowly. 


It had been, it was a really nice day when I met Twyla. It had been our freshmen orientation, and I was an utter wreck like I always am. But even more so, my mom had to drop me off early and go off on her own parent tour of the school so I was left on my own. I kept fidgeting with my uniform, frustrated that I hadn't been better with ironing it. I was so hyper-focused on straightening out the wrinkles that I hadn't realized I had stopped walking till I was bumped into by a taller girl. She seemed around my age, but she didn't even try to say anything to me. I know what you might be thinking, but no, that hadn't been Twyla. Twyla was the one next to the tall girl who had bumped into me. The shorter girl jabbed the first one in the side, “Jesus Beck, you can't even apologize..” she had muttered. I stammered to answer, “I-its all good. I um wasn't looking either…” The tall girl narrowed her eyes at me, “she wasn't talking to you…also, do you even go to dry cleaners?” I blush, and immediately cross my arms over my chest, trying to curl myself inwards. “Forgive her, she forgets how to act around others when she hasn't had her coffee…” the shorter girl chimed. “Shut up Twy, you don't need to explain anything to this nobody…” the tall girl, Beck stated, walking around me and pulling “Twy” with her. “Twy” mouths ‘I’m sorry about her’ to me as she was pulled along. I didn't see either of them again until later, the freshmen all ended their separate tours in the auditorium where I ended up sitting next to “Twy” and another girl this time. Before I could even try and find another seat, “Twy” recognized me and smiled. “Hey, I am so sorry about what happened earlier with Rebecca. She isn't usually like that. I’m Twyla, what’s your name?” she says, and her voice was soothing in a way I can’t describe. I give her a slight smile, “I’m Alexandra, but I go by Lex” She smiles, “I like that. Maybe we can hang out after this whole thing is over? Beck found some other girls to hang out with… you seem like a much better company.” I nod, “I’d love to. Though I’ll have to ask my mom first. If I remember correctly, after this thing, we have dinner? We can sit together then if you’d like?” She agreed, and we were inseparable afterward. She charmed my mom into letting us sit together with another girl that we had met through the bonding exercise that happened in the auditorium. 


“And that’s basically it Noah. It wasn’t always so easy, but with Twyla, it was like we had known each other for so much longer than a few hours. When orientation ended, she gave me her number and we texted the entire night. She made me excited for the first day of school. We got lucky. We were in most of the same classes and she has been by my side ever since. But you have a deeper history with her than I do…”I say softly, back to reality, looking at Noah. 


He nodded, “it’s a great story to have Lex. She’s going to be okay, you know that right? She’s a strong girl. This was just a horrible thing that happened.” 


I nod, “I worry a lot, you know this.” He chuckles lightly, “But I distracted you enough that an hour passed and you haven’t looked at the clock.” 


My eyes wide, “you jerk” I tease, and glance at the clock that was over the door. He was right, by asking me about the day I met Twyla, I managed to talk for an hour without looking at the clock. By looking right at it, it brought me back to reality…we were waiting in the hospital for Twyla. She had been in a fight with her mom when she fell down the stairs. From what we heard from her mom, she had gone unconscious from the fall cradling her arm. So Noah and I rushed over here to wait for her. She had been in surgery when we had gotten here but it has already been three hours without any new news. 


“This just sucks Noah….what are we supposed to do while she’s in there?”I say softly.


“Hope for the best Lex…hope for the best,” he replies softly and opens his arms. “Come here, you must be tired. You had been asleep when I called.” 


I laugh, and scoot in close, “You’re right…wake me up when there’s news…” and I close my eyes to dream. 


It feels like seconds later when I am shaken awake, I sit up and rub my eyes, “wha—?” 


“She’s out of surgery and can see us!” Noah whisper-shouts. 


I quickly stand, and wobble slightly, “seriously? Don’t mess with me, Noah Elias Sommerfeld!”


“Yes, her mom came out like ten minutes ago with a bright smile on her face and went to get coffee so let's go!” he says grabbing my arm and pulling towards one of the many hallways. 


I shriek softly following him, my thoughts all over the place when we get to a door. 


“On the count of three, we open it, got it?” he whispers. 


I nod and reach for the knob. 


“One”


“Two”


“Three”


I opened the door, and there she was, an arm in a cast yet looking just as beautiful like she always does. 


“Noah? Lex!”


“Twyla..”


"Come here, dude!"


I smile, and walk over to her, and gently give her a hug.


"Oh, Twyla..."

"Don't oh Twyla me, Lex."

"I can't help it, dude"

"I know..."

"I worry about you a lot remember?"

She nods, and I let go of her. I knew she and Noah would need to talk, after everything. I went out of the room and sat down in the hallway thinking about everything that had happened. Overall, I could never regret meeting Twyla, as she has brightened up my life ever since. She and I are stuck to the hip like Siamese cats, and that is how I met Noah's girlfriend...

May 03, 2020 04:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.