1 comment

Suspense Mystery Crime

Lani leaped up in a swift arc and sliced quickly down, aiming precisely for a blow. She was a good apprentice. Fast and well-trained. But quite the rash thinker. Enzo ducked out of the way and aimed with his own sword, a look of disapproval on his face. The swords twirled together, beautiful and dangerous all at once. Lani grit her teeth and swung her wrist down, but Enzo leaped up with a fierce blow and her sword flew out of her hand with a piercing shriek, landing on the other side of the courtyard. Finn cheered from where he was watching.

Lani sighed as Enzo shook his head, "You are good," he mused, "But you have to act with reason, not brute force. That goes for real life as well as the battle field." He pointed his sword downwards and flipped it upwards, sending Lani's sword flying and she caught with a leap. She brandished the gleaming tip in her hand and rolled her eyes, "Rematch?" Before Enzo could answer, Finn came blundering down from the bleachers that were glittering in the hot sun. Lani wiped the sweat that was gathering on her forehead and suddenly felt the weight of the beating sunlight.

"That was so smooth," Finn said, nodding and grinning, "I don't know how you guys keep so alert." His eyes darted to Enzo's as if they were trying to communicate something. Lani bit back a retort. What did they have to say to each other that they couldn't speak aloud to her about? Enzo shook himself with a curt nod towards Finn and headed towards the main door of the fortress.

Sounds of bustling murmured and eddied through the town as everyone ran to complete their daily morning errands. The sounds of cooking and sizzling pans filled the alleyways and shop owners began advertising their daily treats.

A whiff of baked muffin drifted delicately across the courtyard and Lani clutched her stomach hungrily. But now was not the right time to eat.

Tents were set up around the town and a few young school kids scuttled past them, racing and chasing each other in delight. People jostled past her and went to get a taste of fresh, cool water from the town well.

"Just 5 dollars! Eggs and baked treats for everyone!" shouted a voice nearby.

"Croissants! Warm and fresh!"

Lani jumped. People crowded around each of the tents, looking at the marketed food and pulling out their bags quickly. As obvious as it was, the morning was the busiest for Stonet Town.

Enzo led the way through the busying crowds as Lani and Finn kept up to his long strides. People began stiffening as they walked past and some eyed them nervously. Others bowed deeply and offered their treasures. Enzo nodded politely towards them, but ignored it all.

At last they reached a section of town and ducked inside a flap in a tent that had swirls of smoke billowing above the chimney. Inside it was cozy and warm, rugs of different colors filled the floor and it was quite spacious inside. Paintings and wanted posters hung from pins on the walls and a cup of warm coffee lay solemnly on a small table in the corner of the room.

Enzo wiped his face and sat down, Lani followed, bouncing a little on a soft cushion.

"The town's been acting up these days," Enzo muttered and Lani looked searchingly into his worried eyes, "Trouble's brewing, I'm sure." Finn looked rather incredulous.

"I know it's our job to look after this town, but we were never given specific units or anything," Finn's eyes narrowed as he thought, "We'll listen to what you think Enzo."

Enzo's eyes flickered with fire and he gazed out the window where bustling sounds started to rise, "Did you see those children?" He turned to Lani, "The ones starving and lying in the alleyways? We have to fix this."

Lani nodded, "I know Enzo. We all know." She looked into his grievous eyes and felt guilty. Suddenly, a clamor rose from outside and shouts followed. The sound of shattering pierced the room and they all sat up alertly. Someone ran into the room, panted and dropped to Enzo's feet. He scrabbled and fought for breath.

"What happened?" Enzo snapped, eyes flashing.

"The tents," he gasped, "There was a fight. Someone panicked and set one of the huts on fire. If we don't stop it-"

"-then the whole town could be up in flames," Enzo grit his teeth and stood up, "You guys stay here."

"What?!" Finn shouted, "You can't just go yourself?"

"I'll have help," Enzo promised.

"But we can help you!" Lani insisted, tensing herself.

"I know," Enzo murmured, "But fires are dangerous and should not be trifled with. I'll be back soon." With that he leapt out of the tent and was gone with a single flap.

"I hate this," Lani muttered, pacing, "He doesn't think we can help him."

"He's just worried for us all," Finn said, staring intently at her. Lani ignored him and slumped onto the floor. It wasn't fair. She should be out there fighting not cowering in a tent.

Patience, she told herself, Revenge is a dish best served cold. She paused. Revenge? Why had she thought of that? No..no, it wasn't revenge..couldn't be.......was it?

Finn's voice broke into her thoughts, "We'd better stay here anyways. For now, we'll be in charge."

...

Enzo came back late in the night looking tired and stressed.

"What happened?" Lani demanded, standing up as he walked into the room. Finn had gone already to run the town's errands and talk with the governor.

"Just a frenzy, that's all," Enzo replied, avoiding her eyes.

"Didn't look like just 'a frenzy', " Lani muttered, but he didn't seem to hear her.

"Did anything happen to you? Are you and Finn alright?" he asked, stepping forwards.

"Yes, we're fine," Lani nodded, gazing into his eyes. What was he thinking? Why did it feel like he wasn't telling her everything? She wished she could ask these questions, but she knew him well enough that he wouldn't say.

Enzo breathed a sigh of relief, "Good."

"You're worried," Lani said sharply, "What happened? Please tell me."

"It's just-" Enzo paused, "The town's been getting restless. We've had a rising number of..troubles. That is. Yes. I don't know what I can do about it anymore. I'm just one person." He looked down and grit his teeth.z

"You're not just one person," Lani said fiercely, lifting his chin so he could meet her eyes. His eyes shimmered in the moonlight.

"It kind of feels like it," he whispered.

"You've been my mentor for forever. You're a strong and brilliant fighter. You taught me everything. So don't ever say anything bad about yourself.."

Enzo smiled a little sadly and stepped back, heading out of the tent. He paused, "Thank you, Lani. I sometimes feel that I learn more from you than you learn from me." Then he was gone, leaving Lani alone in the room. She was silent. Silently brewing.

Now was the turning point. The point where everything changed. She was sad and wished it hadn't come to this. But she was Lani. Still the young girl who did things her way and would get the job done.

Lani muttered to herself and slowly, taking deep strides, slid to the other side of the room and picked up the small shape that was smooth and pure black. It was dark as the midnight sky itself.

She held up the telephone and twisted the dialing panel, the easy numbers engraved in her mind from the moment she was born. The sounds were endless and clicked long horrifying sounds. She waited. Silent and patient as a wolf stalking its prey.

At last there was a click and she held the phone close to her face so that it brushed her gently.

"Hello?" she whispered, smirking.

"Yes," a silky-deep voice responded. It was mysterious and laden with mysteries.

"There you are," she muttered, "Took you some time." There was a slow chuckle on the other side of the line and then a pause.

"Are you in position?" the mysterious voice asked.

"Of course," Lani smiled and eyed the corner of her room.

"Delightful," was the sarcastic response. Another pause.

Lani nodded intently. Her plan was finally coming into place. This was the last puzzle piece to finish off the gorgeously broken painting, "Perfect....." There was silence, "Let's go kill him.."

October 28, 2023 17:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Esperanza Reads
17:51 Oct 28, 2023

Please critique my work. I really appreciate the feedback! Enjoy reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.